FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   The good, the bad, and the ugly of American (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1995393-good-bad-ugly-american.html)

rucksack Nov 13, 2019 6:51 pm

The good, the bad, and the ugly of American

What do people here think are the areas where American shines compared to competitors and lags versus competitors? Here's my list:

Good
- Reduced award redeposit fee ($25) on companion tickets
- Easy to same-day change within the app (vs. Delta)
- Generally more same-day change availability (vs. needing the same fare class on Delta)
- More flexible with earning status (e.g., soft landings, status challenges)
- Good international F/J award redemption partners
- Free snack for top status
- MCE seats not a separate class of service (vs. Delta)
- Systemwide upgrades can be shared with others not traveling with you

Bad
- Award redeposit fee waiver only for top-tier status
- Award change/redeposit fees not reduced for lower-tier elites (vs. United)
- Lack of complimentary upgrades for lower-tier elites
- Lack of seatback IFE (vs. Delta)
- Lack of lounge access for top-tier elites (vs. Delta)
- Apathetic/inconsistent customer service
- Systemwide upgrades only available on American metal
- Miles expire

Ugly
- Delays and cancellations
- IRROPS handling
- Old U.S. Scareways planes
- Cramped plane configurations (especially the 737 MAX)

rumboj Nov 14, 2019 1:59 am

Thank you for sharing!

We truly appreciate your input.

FlyerTalker688786 Nov 14, 2019 3:19 am

I would add the live TV on international routes with the Sports24 channel is really good. So you never miss an important sports event while flying.

fotographer Nov 14, 2019 6:28 am

Lower miles to book awards on AA than DL, not sure about UL
Great international J and F lounges around the world..
Plus you dont get dragged off the plane (UL)
I think better upgrades on domestic then DL (from my wifes experience)

there just a few that came to mind... for now

joeyE Nov 14, 2019 7:00 am

Under the ugly category.....non-engaged and dismissive customer-facing front line employees. Not rude...just indifferent and can’t be bothered.....

Too often we all pay $800 for a flight & are made to feel like we’re riding the bus instead of being a valued customer.

Duck1981 Nov 14, 2019 7:32 am

I agree on cancellations - used AA twice LAX-LHR in the last 2 months and twice my AA136 got cancelled overnight after a good 4 hours wait.

Service can be hit and miss, but that applies for BA as well.

A pro for me is the flagship lounge...

FAA1996 Nov 14, 2019 7:43 am

Good:
International F
Flagship Check In
Flagship First Dining

Bad:
Priority Check in: miss separate F and J check in areas.
Lack of dedicated lounge for F and Emerald passengers (having to share with J passengers)

Ugly:
Oasis planes
Old USeless Airways planes

Antarius Nov 14, 2019 7:44 am

Originally Posted by fotographer (Post 31735787)
Lower miles to book awards on AA than DL, not sure about UL
Great international J and F lounges around the world..
Plus you dont get dragged off the plane (UL)
I think better upgrades on domestic then DL (from my wifes experience)

there just a few that came to mind... for now

Sorry to be pedantic, but I assume you mean UA/United and not UL/Sri Lankan.

I would also add better upgrades on intl. IMO, AA has a better hard product than UA or DL.

Antarius Nov 14, 2019 7:48 am

Originally Posted by joeyE (Post 31735867)
Under the ugly category.....non-engaged and dismissive customer-facing front line employees. Not rude...just indifferent and can’t be bothered.....

If you go through PHL, you can add rude to the list too.

It's like almost every AA employee there woke up on the wrong side of the bed, every single day of their lives.

GunsOfNavarone Nov 14, 2019 7:59 am

The good (and they are very good- actually outstanding in this category):

* EXP desk for customer service for road warriors that have regular changes in their Y fare itinerary- nobody supports Y fare changes better than the EXP desk, not DL, not UA

The bad:

* putting lipstick on a pig (offering live steaming instead of seatback displays- bring your own device is doing fliers a favor NOT)

* CR7s ORD to SLC.... really?? over 1200 miles from major midwest business center to major west business center

The ugly:

*Race to the bottom with oasis seating... oasis seating is very, very ugly for those of us who fly AA over 150 domestic segments per year.... shows AA is really a LCC model with a nice international J/F product.... which means nothing for domestic road warriors.

USFlyerUS Nov 14, 2019 8:18 am

Originally Posted by rucksack (Post 31734457)
Ugly
- Old U.S. Scareways planes

One: This is a term from the early 90s that was concocted after two accidents. IMHO it's not appropriate to use at this point. Your post lost credibility with this reference.

Two: Many of the LUS planes are in fact newer than LAA planes, so I don't get the "old" reference. There is a lack of power in some, but that is being addressed and should be resolved. In the aggregate, the planes are not older than LAA planes.

lds89 Nov 14, 2019 8:30 am

I think this can be pretty succinct:

The good (to often great)
When American tries to be the more premium airline it once was and compete. Flagship lounges, international business, ability to SWU upgrade on any fare, three-class transcons to NY, ice cream sundaes, OW benefits including F lounges, offering EXP/CKs food if they're stuck in the back in MCE. AA can and is a very very good airline TPAC and until new Polaris and upgraded BA club suites might have been the best NY-LHR for several years running

The bad
American domestic in Y - cramped pitch, more seats, no TVs, reduced offering for snacks (UA does a full hot snack service for charge that blows AA sandwiches out of the water)

The ugly
The ten thousand cuts that have hit elite passenger and employee morale the past few years because there is a management team and CEO for no vision as to whether AA wants to be the good or the bad, the premium airline or the LCC. Everything else fits here (poor IRROPS handling even for elites, reduced SWUs, etc)

ebuck Nov 14, 2019 8:43 am

Two good things that AA hasn't changed (yet) and reasons I still like AA:
1) No fees when changing award flight dates/times.
2) Ability to hold reservations (24 hours for paid and 5 days for award).

jerseytom Nov 14, 2019 8:57 am

To be fair, removing seatback IFE is fine by me. I don't think I've ever used one for anything other than the live map. Honestly I think I prefer having the option of stuff streamed to my device, which I'm going to be using anyway.

With regard to LUS aircraft, lack of power really is frustrating. I do appreciate that it's being addressed, but still - to be in 2019 and have all these aircraft without power in any cabin feels really behind the times. Other than that I find the aircraft perfectly fine.

JonNYC Nov 14, 2019 9:00 am

Originally Posted by ebuck (Post 31736216)
Two good things that AA hasn't changed (yet) and reasons I still like AA:
1) No fees when changing award flight dates/times.

That one, unfortunately, will be changing soon.