FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Personal space infringement? (standing pax blocking sitting pax) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1995142-personal-space-infringement-standing-pax-blocking-sitting-pax.html)

enviroian Nov 11, 2019 7:15 pm

Personal space infringement? (standing pax blocking sitting pax)

2 Attachment(s)
I felt really sorry for the woman in 6C today. This clown stood like that for 45 minutes flirting with 6A. 6C looked so annoyed but didn’t do anything as I suppose there is nothing to be done.

If you were in 6C would you have said anything? From time to time he would move to his left and be directly in the foot space of 6C.

PHL Nov 11, 2019 7:27 pm

Absolutely would say something. Not sure how diplomatic I would be, depending on how badly he infringes on my space.

jadc82 Nov 11, 2019 7:27 pm

Perhaps go to the back and explain to a FA.
"I think a PAX may be being disturbed by another PAX but I am uncertain. She appears uncomfortable with the adjacent male and I do not want to intrude."

Edit: just re-read this. Oh yea. Would ask him how long he's going to pull that. I think common courtesy (which probably doesn't exist here) would be to request a seat change with PAX behind. Alternatives would be to out-annoy him?

MSPeconomist Nov 11, 2019 7:29 pm

Where should he have been sitting? If it was a coach to premium cabin incursion, the FAs should have kicked him out instantly.

enviroian Nov 11, 2019 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31726994)
Where should he have been sitting? If it was a coach to premium cabin incursion, the FAs should have kicked him out instantly.

This was the PE section of a 788 to Phoenix today.

He was back in MCE as I watched him walk back. Perhaps the flight attendant couldn’t say anything since this isn’t sold as a separate cabin on this domestic route?

AA100k Nov 11, 2019 7:59 pm

I wouldn’t have let that clown hover over my space for 45 minutes. After about five minutes I would have told him to leave and if he didn’t I would have rung for the FA.

perseus11 Nov 11, 2019 8:37 pm

Simple solution. Just keep getting up and down every minute or so, bumping him slightly as you move. Also lean all the way over and look out the window a few times, with the remark,"Hey look another airplane out there in the sky". Obviously if he didn't get the message, there is likely no solution other than to tell the FA that you're concerned about your safety with that huge belly potentially falling on you in event of turbulence, potentially causing both an emotional and physical injury to your person. :D

MSPeconomist Nov 11, 2019 8:57 pm

You could jump into the conversation and sabotage his attempt at flirtation if it amuses you. A few witty remarks might send him back to his seat in embarrassment, tail between his legs.

However, I wonder how he decided to go after the window passenger. It wouldn't have been easy to see her from some rows back. Could they have been flirting by mutual consent in the gatehouse?

Did 6C think of trying to auction off the seat to see how much he would pay to sit next to 6A or perhaps how much she would pay to get rid of him?

enviroian Nov 11, 2019 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31727202)
You could jump into the conversation and sabotage his attempt at flirtation if it amuses you. A few witty remarks might send him back to his seat in embarrassment, tail between his legs.

However, I wonder how he decided to go after the window passenger. It wouldn't have been easy to see her from some rows back. Could they have been flirting by mutual consent in the gatehouse?

Did 6C think of trying to auction off the seat to see how much he would pay to sit next to 6A or perhaps how much she would pay to get rid of him?

The initial interaction occurred during boarding. Clown walks by 6A and says "OMG so good to see you again!? How have you been?! Wow!". He stood there for a few minutes while holding up the boarding line. I knew right away that Bozo would be back after takeoff.

I could see 6C wanted to say something but didn't. Probably a non confrontational type and she got this clown hovering in and out of her space honestly for 45 minutes. I rolled my eyes at Bozo as he left and he gave me a look as "yeah, what's your problem". If I was in 6C I would have said something within 30 seconds.

HardToConcentrate Nov 12, 2019 1:11 am

I’m surprised the FA’s didn’t say anything to him.

I understand being non confrontational. I can be that way sometimes. Especially with someone much larger than I. However, this is obnoxious.

I may have been willing to give him 5 mins, but after that he needs to carry his ... back to his seat! I would’ve kept it light and casual at first, “Hi, can you move out of the bulkhead? It’s getting a bit snug in here.” If that doesn’t work, best thing would be to get the FA’s attention.

Some people lack awareness of personal space, others just don’t care that they may be impeding you. If they want to flirt, they can continue off the plane.

He’s a safety issue as well. I don’t want someone knocking in to me, or falling in my lap during turbulence.

fotographer Nov 12, 2019 3:29 am

I think in this case, since the passenger sitting next to this lady kept the conversation going
with the "other" passenger..
I would have polity told the passenger sitting next to me, if they would not mind taking their
conversation else where..

warakorn Nov 12, 2019 4:03 am

Where in this photo is the guy intruding the personal space of the passenger in seat 6C?

windscar Nov 12, 2019 5:51 am

Originally Posted by perseus11 (Post 31727172)
Also lean all the way over and look out the window a few times, with the remark,"Hey look another airplane out there in the sky"

So 6C should invade 6A's space just to look out the window?

Originally Posted by warakorn (Post 31727943)
Where in this photo is the guy intruding the personal space of the passenger in seat 6C?

He looks to be completely in 6A's area, if 6A doesn't care then meh.

Bear96 Nov 12, 2019 6:27 am

Originally Posted by perseus11 (Post 31727172)
Simple solution. Just keep getting up and down every minute or so, bumping him slightly as you move. Also lean all the way over and look out the window a few times, with the remark,"Hey look another airplane out there in the sky".

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31727202)

Why be passive / aggressive about it? A simple, "Would you two mind taking your conversation elsewhere?" is a reasonable request.

enpremiere Nov 12, 2019 6:29 am

I have it on good authority from someone who heard it fourth-hand that they were actually talking about the passenger seated in 6F.