Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAFlight 303 LAX-IAD someone mistook carry-on...any ideas

AAFlight 303 LAX-IAD someone mistook carry-on...any ideas

Old Nov 9, 19, 6:10 pm

Programs: AA PPro. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Originally Posted by pbuntrock View Post
It's funny what odd things can happen. A number of years ago I was on a US Airways flight from LGA-BOS. This was the old plane with no jacket storage. I always put my suit jacket folded in the overhead. Got off of a flight and grabbed my suitcase, briefcase and coat and left. In the parking garage my cell phone ran, it was baggage claim did I have the wrong keys. I reach in my jacket pocket and out come a set of BMW keys, I drive a Mercedes. I go to baggage claim and there is a guy waiting, he was an identical jacket. I mean totally identical; same color, same size, purchased at the same place with the same label. I now put anything of importance in my briefcase.
Be careful, you may wind up in a relationship with an alcoholic! (Assuming that you saw The Lost Weekend.)
Old Nov 9, 19, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat HH Diamond
I'm guilty. Totally "lifted" another's bag off of a NRT-BKK UA flight. Who would have thunk two brand new Rimowa silver/metal bags could possible be on the same flight?!? Made it 10 minutes out of the airport before the UA rep called me and I returned immediately. The person whose bag I took was not happy.
Old Nov 11, 19, 10:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz 5 Star
Couple of years back my brother picked up a "similar" looking bag from ORD baggage claim and we drove to GRR to find out the goof up. Went back immediately to GR and lodged the issue with UA (brother is a big SA guy), sent the mistake luggage back to ORD in the next flight, received his original luggage within 6 hours. Amazingly things worked out !
Old Nov 11, 19, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, United, SWA
Thanks for encouragement... our additional challenge is that these were carry-ons with no identification. We have returned the bag we have to AA....now just hoping/praying/both that other person realizes and returns to AA. My daughter has a lot of sentimental items that canít be replaced. That is why she did not check in the first place. Now having a tag/ID would have saved a lot of hassle.
Thank you all.
Old Nov 11, 19, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by Penguinmoon View Post
Who would have thunk two brand new Rimowa silver/metal bags could possible be on the same flight?!?
Anyone who has ever flown to/from Germany, for starters.
donotblink likes this.
Old Nov 11, 19, 4:51 pm

I forget which airline but at LGA there is usually an employee of airline or third-party contractor that is near the exit of the luggage carousel that asks for you to match up the luggage ticket with the luggage tag before you can leave. Maybe they should do this at more airports so it could help alleviate problems such as this.
Old Nov 11, 19, 5:03 pm

Programs: AA-PLT
Originally Posted by nas6034 View Post
I forget which airline but at LGA there is usually an employee of airline or third-party contractor that is near the exit of the luggage carousel that asks for you to match up the luggage ticket with the luggage tag before you can leave. Maybe they should do this at more airports so it could help alleviate problems such as this.
It wouldn't do anything in this case since it was carry-on.

Checking luggage tags used to be SOP in Colombia (where I live). I hated waiting in line to leave while people searched for their bag tags. Of course I may change my tune if this ever happens to me.

To the OP: Thanks for posting this. I've been remiss about making sure there is a name tag on my carry on luggage. I will remedy that tonight. I hope your daughter gets her bag back.
Old Nov 11, 19, 5:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by nas6034 View Post
IMO, they should issue elites bag tags with barcodes. And just use those as identification. No more printed tags for those with tags.
Old Nov 11, 19, 5:52 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
IMO, they should issue elites bag tags with barcodes. And just use those as identification. No more printed tags for those with tags.
Why stop there? They could just issue elites bar codes. Then they can just scan the tattoos and you can be sure that any elite will think twice about switching alliances and no more scanning of BPs on club/lounge entry
Old Nov 11, 19, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by coolcoil View Post
It wouldn't do anything in this case since it was carry-on.

Checking luggage tags used to be SOP in Colombia (where I live). I hated waiting in line to leave while people searched for their bag tags. Of course I may change my tune if this ever happens to me.

To the OP: Thanks for posting this. I've been remiss about making sure there is a name tag on my carry on luggage. I will remedy that tonight. I hope your daughter gets her bag back.
Thatís right. And it seems the other individual did not have any identifiable information on their carry on.
Old Nov 11, 19, 6:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by enpremiere View Post
Why stop there? They could just issue elites bar codes. Then they can just scan the tattoos and you can be sure that any elite will think twice about switching alliances and no more scanning of BPs on club/lounge entry
Yes. Let's all get aadvantage tattoos! Haha

But seriously, they have our PII and know our flights, so it's an easy lookup on a common ID
Old Nov 13, 19, 12:38 am

Originally Posted by Windycitywings View Post
Thanks for encouragement... our additional challenge is that these were carry-ons with no identification. We have returned the bag we have to AA....now just hoping/praying/both that other person realizes and returns to AA. My daughter has a lot of sentimental items that can’t be replaced. That is why she did not check in the first place. Now having a tag/ID would have saved a lot of hassle.
Thank you all.
I hope before returning it you very thoroughly went through the bag in search of any identifying information at all, and that the AA people know that they must not release the bag until they have secured your daughter's bag (and ideally given her a chance to look for anything missing).

I might even consider filing a police report for stolen luggage -- that would give her some leverage if AA has or gets any information on who took it, mistakenly gives back the other bag without getting hers back, etc. The person might not have meant to steal it, but it's curious that they haven't realized and returned it in several days now.

I remember a FT thread where the OP (of that thread) took someone else's bag but couldn't be bothered to go back to the airport (he wanted the airline to come get it and bring his), meanwhile the innocent other customer was likely steaming. I bet "sir, I have a police report and will give them your name if the bag you took is not returned within the hour" would have gotten his attention!
Old Nov 13, 19, 3:16 am

Programs: AA Ex Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by jmastron View Post
I remember a FT thread where the OP (of that thread) took someone else's bag but couldn't be bothered to go back to the airport (he wanted the airline to come get it and bring his), meanwhile the innocent other customer was likely steaming. I bet "sir, I have a police report and will give them your name if the bag you took is not returned within the hour" would have gotten his attention!
Iím not the OP, but had domething similsr happen to me. I was in touch with him directly (he took my bag, his was on the carousel, and I got his number off the bag).

I had to say it was sccudentL before, but if you donít bring it back now, itís theft to get him motivated.
Old Nov 13, 19, 4:15 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat
She was that good looking?

Originally Posted by AANYC1981 View Post
... I was so bored in line at security prior to this I noticed her flight number, her Platinum status and even seat number on her BP that I was able to get the Admirals Club to track her down and got my laptop back via FedEx. Crazy!
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Nov 13, 19, 11:26 am

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Windycitywings View Post
Thanks for encouragement... our additional challenge is that these were carry-ons with no identification. We have returned the bag we have to AA....now just hoping/praying/both that other person realizes and returns to AA. My daughter has a lot of sentimental items that canít be replaced. That is why she did not check in the first place. Now having a tag/ID would have saved a lot of hassle.
Thank you all.
And I found purchasing one of the colorful ID tags is the best. But I always put a slip of paper/business card with my contact info inside my carry on as well. I also put a label with name and cell number on the bottom of my larger electronic devices as well.

Search this Thread