Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What are my options: HND-LAX, Economy, Waitlisted for SWU to Business?

Old Nov 8, 19, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

I have the unfortunate shot of being on a 787-9 which does not have a bunch of business class seats. My flight is on Dec 6, HND-LAX, and while I have applied for SWU to get upgraded to business class, I'm on the waitlist and it doesn't look great (only 8 seats available as of today).

Now my question is, what options are there as an Exec Platinum to get into at least Premium Economy, which has half of it empty. I booked economy, and i know the SWU is for business class, but if that falls through, can I use $$ or miles to get at least into Premium Economy?
Old Nov 8, 19, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by shadymg View Post
I have the unfortunate shot of being on a 787-9 which does not have a bunch of business class seats. My flight is on Dec 6, HND-LAX, and while I have applied for SWU to get upgraded to business class, I'm on the waitlist and it doesn't look great (only 8 seats available as of today).

Now my question is, what options are there as an Exec Platinum to get into at least Premium Economy, which has half of it empty. I booked economy, and i know the SWU is for business class, but if that falls through, can I use $$ or miles to get at least into Premium Economy?
You can pay the fare difference now to get into PE, that is the only sure bet.

There is no way to upgrade with miles into PE at the moment.

If there are still PE seats left for sale on the day of departure, then there's a slim chance that AA may offer a buy-up type upgrade at check-in, typically only when you check-in via a kiosk or in the AA app/online.

When PE first started rolling out, there were some very scattered/anecdotal reports of EXP's receiving free upgrades to PE on the day of departure, however this was extremely inconsistent and not something to be relied upon.
Antarius likes this.
Old Nov 8, 19, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JJeffrey View Post
...When PE first started rolling out, there were some very scattered/anecdotal reports of EXP's receiving free upgrades to PE on the day of departure, however this was extremely inconsistent and not something to be relied upon.
Scattered, for sure, anecdotal, no:
Premium Economy Upgrade Request for EXP & CK [$0 for a limited time]
Old Nov 8, 19, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JonNYC View Post
Oh man so much to take in. So what I'm unclear of is if my swu doesn't clear at check-in then I should or should not remove the upgrade request? And whether it matters? Gulp...
Old Nov 8, 19, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Oh man so much to take in. So what I'm unclear of is if my swu doesn't clear at check-in then I should or should not remove the upgrade request? And whether it matters? Gulp...
IF you do not clear at check in.. then your SWU will not be processed of course
leave it alone for now. I have been upgraded to PE from coach, free of charge before.
Old Nov 8, 19, 2:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - What would it cost to upgrade? Is that a doable amount?
Old Nov 8, 19, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fotographer View Post
IF you do not clear at check in.. then your SWU will not be processed of course
leave it alone for now. I have been upgraded to PE from coach, free of charge before.
You lost me on one thing. If I check in and the swu didn't clear by then, wouldn't I be placed on the upgrade list?
Old Nov 8, 19, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
OP - What would it cost to upgrade? Is that a doable amount?
No no. It's DOUBLE the cost of economy. Ridiculous
Old Nov 8, 19, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
You lost me on one thing. If I check in and the swu didn't clear by then, wouldn't I be placed on the upgrade list?
If you haven't cleared by the time you check in then you would be placed on the airport list (unless you didn't want to for whatever the reason). There is no reason not to get on the airport list in this scenario, unless again you just decided that you no longer want to try and upgrade for whatever the reason.
shadymg and JonNYC like this.
Old Nov 9, 19, 4:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
No no. It's DOUBLE the cost of economy. Ridiculous
On the contrary, it's double but not "ridiculous". Someone is apparently willing to pay it. AA could care less whether that is you or that someone.
Old Nov 9, 19, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
On the contrary, it's double but not "ridiculous". Someone is apparently willing to pay it. AA could care less whether that is you or that someone.
lol ok
Old Nov 9, 19, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Amex Plat
<snip>Oh man so much to take in.
Ok, you are way over thinking this...

Your options actually could not be simpler:

1) Hope the SWU clears into business
2) Pay the delta fare to upgrade to PE
3) Hope for a gratis upgrade to PE on day of departure (not at all a sure bet)
4) Prepare for a long a$$ ride in coach

If it was a requirement for you to be in a cabin other than economy, than you really should have purchased the minimum level cabin you need to be comfortable. No other option is ever a sure bet.

Regards
shadymg likes this.

Search this Thread