FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   How long does it typically take AA to issue a refund? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1994615-how-long-does-typically-take-aa-issue-refund.html)

BobOscar Nov 8, 19 9:34 am

How long does it typically take AA to issue a refund?

I've had a refund request in (that was initiated by a phone agent) for the last two weeks that says it is still in "the queue" to be reviewed. Does it actually take them longer than two weeks to even get to a refund request to review it?

mvoight Nov 8, 19 11:59 am

Originally Posted by BobOscar (Post 31715234)
I've had a refund request in (that was initiated by a phone agent) for the last two weeks that says it is still in "the queue" to be reviewed. Does it actually take them longer than two weeks to even get to a refund request to review it?

That is a bit long. Was this something other than normal, like maybe a non refundable flight?

BobOscar Nov 8, 19 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by mvoight (Post 31715858)
That is a bit long. Was this something other than normal, like maybe a non refundable flight?

This was from 2 weeks ago when AA had a meltdown at DFW on 10/25-10/26. After 3 flights DFW-JAX were cancelled on me I found nothing with seats available on 10/26 Friday that AA showed as available to get me to JAX. I finally found 1 seat left (for sale; didn't give me that option to change to that on my original ticket) for DFW-MIA-JAX and booked it; then called AA and the ticket agent said he could move those flights to my original ticket and do a refund. AA.com shows that a refund has already been requested and it is still under review 2 weeks later. The agent said it would be no problem to refund it. If they require that it be used as a credit minus change fee I could live with that but I would prefer the full refund on it...

Often1 Nov 8, 19 3:07 pm

DOT requires that carriers make best efforts to issue refunds within 7 days. Whatever "best efforts" means, I tend to think that double that takes AA over the line.

Just initiate a chargeback noting that AA agreed to a refund and simply will not process it. Keep the facts to the absolute minimum required. If a refund is already in process, AA won't even bother to respond to the card issuer.

FAA1996 Nov 8, 19 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by BobOscar (Post 31716319)
This was from 2 weeks ago when AA had a meltdown at DFW on 10/25-10/26. After 3 flights DFW-JAX were cancelled on me I found nothing with seats available on 10/26 Friday that AA showed as available to get me to JAX. I finally found 1 seat left (for sale; didn't give me that option to change to that on my original ticket) for DFW-MIA-JAX and booked it; then called AA and the ticket agent said he could move those flights to my original ticket and do a refund. AA.com shows that a refund has already been requested and it is still under review 2 weeks later. The agent said it would be no problem to refund it. If they require that it be used as a credit minus change fee I could live with that but I would prefer the full refund on it...

I've had a similar situation before. I was expecting a refund on my credit card but actually got a check in the mail about 3 weeks after I requested refund.