FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Eastbound Domestic Redeyes out of DFW (around Thanksgiving holiday 2019) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1994600-eastbound-domestic-redeyes-out-dfw-around-thanksgiving-holiday-2019-a.html)

AA2070 Nov 8, 2019 6:36 am

Eastbound Domestic Redeyes out of DFW (around Thanksgiving holiday 2019)

Just noticed 02 Dec AA2924 DFW-DCA 0201-0543. I don't see that the day before or after. I don't think I've seen a flight like that scheduled out of DFW before, anybody have any guesses as to what that's about?

IADCAflyer Nov 8, 2019 6:41 am

Its the monday after thanksgiving. AA runs some very aggressive routings and extra segments before and after this holiday weekend. For the past few years, AA in CLT had a BIG bank of flights departing around midnight on the Sunday after thanksgiving. This is probably the same thought line.

BOSishome Nov 8, 2019 6:49 am

I’m currently booked on AA2253 on 11/25 which is a DFW-BOS redeye that departs at 11:40 P.M. and gets in a bit after 4... I’m hoping that I’ll be able to same-day-standby on an earlier flight but I couldn’t pass up the red eye as it was $250 cheaper.

JJeffrey Nov 8, 2019 7:10 am

Yep, lots of one-off's like that for Thanksgiving.

I see Monday ~12:30am departures from DFW to PHL, CLT, RDU, GSO, BNA, CLE, CVG, CMH, FLL, just to name a few.

xliioper Nov 8, 2019 7:34 am

UA does the same thing with one-off's out of IAH on both Sat and Sun night after T'day. IAH-MSY/MCI/TUL/IAD/BWI/ORD/MSP/DTW/LGA. A few of these depart just before midnight. Some westbound flights as well (ABQ/LAX/SFO/DEN for example). Western hubs also get one-off red-eyes to a number of eastern destinations that don't have red-eye service the rest of the year.

PV_Premier Nov 8, 2019 8:02 am

Gross

Often1 Nov 8, 2019 8:11 am

That Sunday is the second busiest travel day of the year (the day before Thanksgiving is the busiest). Demand is heavy and this makes use of aircraft and gates. I would absolutely not expect SDC to work on that date.

KBMIFlyer Nov 8, 2019 9:56 am

UA has similar flights out of ORD. UA 4412 leave ORD and 12:15 am on the 2nd and arrives in GSP at 3:07 am ! UA 1698 arrives in RDU at 3:24. Several more ORD - East Cost flights arrive in the 3:00 am hour.

AANYC1981 Nov 8, 2019 10:07 am

I was offered one of these back to NYC from the west coast after Thanksgiving.....pricing was the cheapest but I couldn't bring myself to book such an awful itinerary. Hard no for me.

ComplexAnalysis Nov 8, 2019 10:34 am

Definitely Kudos to you if you're able to take that flight without falling apart.

Though, this option is much better than others where you arrive at DFW @~1AM and need to figure out what to do before the early ~530AM departures

thunderdeacon Nov 8, 2019 10:41 am

These also allow for the faster cleanup of stranded passengers.

IAHtraveler Nov 8, 2019 11:12 am

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer (Post 31714824)
For the past few years, AA in CLT had a BIG bank of flights departing around midnight on the Sunday after thanksgiving. This is probably the same thought line.

They're doing the same thing before Thanksgiving. A few options were offering me a connection in CLT with a ~12:30AM departure to small east coast cities. Agree with the post above: GROSS.

IADCAflyer Nov 8, 2019 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by ComplexAnalysis (Post 31715752)
Definitely Kudos to you if you're able to take that flight without falling apart.

Though, this option is much better than others where you arrive at DFW @~1AM and need to figure out what to do before the early ~530AM departures

I did this couple years back: PVD-CLT-DTW. PVD-CLT was about a 9:00 pm departure and CLT-DTW was a midnight departure. Arrival into DTW around 2:00 am. Lots and lots of casual travelers on both flights. I was Plat at the time, and GAs upgraded me on both flights gratis as F was empty and they were trying to get as many seats opened up in Y as possible.

abk Nov 8, 2019 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 31715129)
That Sunday is the second busiest travel day of the year (the day before Thanksgiving is the busiest). Demand is heavy and this makes use of aircraft and gates. I would absolutely not expect SDC to work on that date.

Here is a link to an article in Business Insider regarding travel last Thanksgiving saying that the Sunday after 3 was actually the busiest travel day.

nachosdelux Nov 9, 2019 6:00 am

last year they also had a bank of late-night flights going to the west coast from DFW on the Sunday after Thanksgiving.

I flew DFW-ONT and it got in at 1AM or so.