Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Near loss of AA 4439 (E175 ATL-LGA) Runaway Trim - Nov 6 2019

Old Nov 7, 19, 10:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA - Platinum; 1W Sapphire; HHonors - Silver; UA dirt

It appears that AA 4439 (Republic) had a serious issue on departure out of ATL yesterday (November 6). Trim runaway on the E-175 after takeoff, and a stall condition. Kudos to the pilots and ATC for getting the plane back on the ground.

Report from Aviation Herald:
Incident: Republic E175 at Atlanta on Nov 6th 2019, trim runaway, severe control problems, stalling situation

Flightaware track:
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...204Z/KATL/KLGA

ATC audio (pretty harrowing) (starts at about 6:30):
https://archive-server.liveatc.net/k...2019-0200Z.mp3

Last edited by IADCAflyer; Nov 8, 19 at 7:47 am
Old Nov 7, 19, 11:36 pm

Wow.
Pretty terrifying.
Old Nov 8, 19, 12:34 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Silver/MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
It does sound bad. What I find interesting is there were only 6 souls on board. Presumably 4 of them were crew, leaving only two passengers. If not for the emergency it would have been a pretty sweet flight for them.
Old Nov 8, 19, 12:41 am

Programs: American, Spirit, Air Niugini
6 people on board? So only 2 passengers. Wow at 8:01 sounds like the pilot may need a new set of trousers. Not a good situation.
Old Nov 8, 19, 2:32 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
I agree, kudos to the pilots and ATC for getting the plane back on the ground.
Old Nov 8, 19, 5:49 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
great job to both pilots
(I am on the same flight next week(
Old Nov 8, 19, 9:33 am

If you read AA's statement to Matthew over at Live and Let's Fly, it was 6 passengers plus 4 crew for a total of 10. Either way, very lightly loaded.

Link: https://liveandletsfly.boardingarea....175-diversion/
Old Nov 8, 19, 9:48 am

looks like no manual trim controls on the e175

serious kudos to the pilots here.
Old Nov 8, 19, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT; QR PLT; Bonvoy LT TIT
AA 4439 ATL/LGA is one of those flights with the same flight number in both directions.

Originally Posted by kettle1 View Post
I agree, kudos to the pilots and ATC for getting the plane back on the ground.
The only other serious emergency where I've listened to the entire ATC tape was the BA 38 crash at LHR. ATC stayed cool and efficient in that situation, too. When things like this happen, ATC has a lot to do in a very short period of time. Here's the BA 38 audio and ground radar in case anyone's interested.

Similar kudos to the airport fire crews. One of the things that struck me watching the BA 38 radar was how quickly fire crews were out and moving towards the crash scene. Watch it a few times and you'll see what I mean. They all do a spectacular job.

Last edited by Dr. HFH; Nov 8, 19 at 7:58 pm
Old Nov 8, 19, 7:38 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Full ATC comm dialogue.

Attached Images  
beckoa likes this.
Old Nov 8, 19, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH View Post
The only other serious emergency where I've listened to the entire ATC tape was the BA 38 crash at LHR. ATC stayed cool and efficient in that situation, too. When things like this happen, ATC has a lot to do in a very short period of time.
The Southwest airlines uncontained engine failure incident and emergency landing at PHL was interesting to listen to as well.
Old Nov 10, 19, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA, BA, SPG
Didn't read about this in the news but my goodness, that was one of the more serious emergencies you can have in an aircraft. He was uncontrollably climbing up to just under 11,000 feet.

NTSB details should emerge but this is one of those worth studying and kudos to the flight crew.
Old Nov 10, 19, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS MVP, VA
Originally Posted by dfw88 View Post
If you read AA's statement to Matthew over at Live and Let's Fly, it was 6 passengers plus 4 crew for a total of 10. Either way, very lightly loaded.

Link: https://liveandletsfly.boardingarea....175-diversion/
Hmm. In the ATC communications, the crew said six souls. Although it’s possible that getting exactly the number of people on board exactly right wasn’t their first priority in the heat of the moment!

Either way, looks like an amazing job by the crew.
Old Nov 10, 19, 3:59 pm

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Wonder what caused the trim runaway? I'd love to see the logbook entry for the inspections and repairs carried out on the subject aircraft. It ferried ATL-IND yesterday and took a quick spin around the pattern at IND this morning.
Old Nov 10, 19, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Herb687 View Post
Wonder what caused the trim runaway? I'd love to see the logbook entry for the inspections and repairs carried out on the subject aircraft.
It would be interesting to see if there was something noted in the logs about the plane especially since in the ATC audio there's a short exchange at about minute 7 where a DL pilot chimes in that he was sent over to the tower as he had "operated on that aircraft". You cannot make out what he said next as its garbled but I'd wager he didn't make the effort to contact the tower unless he thought he knew of something that might be helpful. They seemed to have things under control by then, and big ^^ to all involved for handling the situation so calmly.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: