Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA status when booking, no status when traveling - seat selection, etc.

Old Nov 7, 2019, 9:54 am
Original Poster

I was targeted and have singed for AA platinum status. I rarely fly AA and my status will expire in December. I plan to travel on AA in Feb 2020 and supposedly I could select complementary MCE seat when booking right now. However, will there be issues when I travel as non-elite in Feb? Will AA take these complimentary seats away as soon as my status expires?
Old Nov 7, 2019, 10:26 am

Programs: AA EXP
You will most likely keep the seats. Don't try to change them, though, after your status expires.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 10:35 am

Programs: Choice Hotels
I booked a couple of reservations when I was Platinum Pro and selected main cabin extra seats. I then lost my status, but the seat assignments stuck. There was even a change from a 772 to an a321 on one of the flights, and I was still reassigned a main cabin extra seat despite not having status. I was given an exit row window. I, of course, cannot change the assignment, but I still have it. My suggestion to you would be to make as many bookings as you know you will need now so that you can get the main cabin extra seats locked in.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 10:35 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM. UA 1k 1MM
Could go either way.

I am EXP and was traveling with 3 family members (no status) in MCE on same reservation. Reviewed resv morning of flight and had 4 MCE seats. Printed BP at airport and we were moved to standard Y seat. Called in and they said, gee sorry about that dont know how that happened.

Not saying it will happen to you, but dont be surprised
Old Nov 7, 2019, 10:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
While the fare rules and t&c for MCE are that it is status on the day of travel that matters, AA does not do regular sweeps and will therefore not ordinarily move you out of MCE.

However, as noted, once you are no longer Plat., do not make any changes. That includes seat assignments and SDC, not to mention changes, without understanding that your new seat will not be in unpaid MCE.

The only unfortunate uncontrollable situation is an aircraft swap, IRROPS rebooking or other involuntary change.
thunderdeacon likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 11:14 am

Programs: Choice Hotels
Thanks for the heads up. Let's hope it doesn't happen to me.

Originally Posted by tallasadoor
Could go either way.

I am EXP and was traveling with 3 family members (no status) in MCE on same reservation. Reviewed resv morning of flight and had 4 MCE seats. Printed BP at airport and we were moved to standard Y seat. Called in and they said, gee sorry about that dont know how that happened.

Not saying it will happen to you, but dont be surprised
Old Dec 1, 2019, 9:23 am

Programs: DL Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Zxrst, please let us know if there is any change to your seats either when your status changes or in Feb when you are flying. I just booked flights and selected MCE seats using my comp Plat status, but like you I am sure that I will not have that status when I fly, which will be after your Feb flight.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 10:21 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
One thing I can say, although it's only partially related to the OP's question, a few years ago I was plat when I booked and flew the outbound, but a few days later, on the return, I had dropped down to gold. I was still allowed to check two bags for free on the return. However I think it was because I was plat when I flew the outbound, not when I booked it.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 11:14 am

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by redtop43
One thing I can say, although it's only partially related to the OP's question, a few years ago I was plat when I booked and flew the outbound, but a few days later, on the return, I had dropped down to gold. I was still allowed to check two bags for free on the return. However I think it was because I was plat when I flew the outbound, not when I booked it.
Free checked bags could be an issue. I have a colleague who got charged earlier this year for the second bag at check in.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.