Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Buy Back and Boost / Buy Up Status for 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Back and Boost / Buy Up Status for 2020

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2019, 11:08 am
Suspended

Programs: AA Exp
Originally Posted by Whiskey_bravo
I guess it depends. If you are short by a little on status or the next tier and either don't want to or don't have the time to fit in the added flight or two it might be worth it.
For me I had to switch hubs to ATL. So I flew a lot of DL and WN. After the first of the year I go back to MIA and I’ll want AA And Gold don’t get you much.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 11:20 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Herb687
But as a general rule, FlyerTalkers overvalue status.
Yeah especially road warrior types with low tier status. I think GLD status benefits us slightly because we fly off-peak and not the road warrior pattern many of you do. We rarely miss upgrades out of OKC. So overall sadly still worth it, I think. Or maybe that just makes me an even bigger sucker, IDK. Especially knowing that we kinda went out of our way to requal for GLD, yet HP just gives out PLT to randos willy-nilly.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 11:38 am

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by Herb687
But as a general rule, FlyerTalkers overvalue status.
As well as as opinions relative to what AA truly cares about
Old Nov 8, 2019, 11:47 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Gringa
They’re offering this to anybody at all since they offered me Gold for $335.00 or 33,500 miles.
At most I fly a couple times a year and the benefits for Gold are a joke anyway. I *might* make lifetime Gold before I die. How are they figuring how much to ask for these statuses?
Well that's better than me, I'm gold this year and need 6.5 more segments to requalify, but my offer was only $565 or 56,500 miles.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, 4mm
Originally Posted by donotblink
I have overqualified on EQD and need less than 1,00 EQM that I'll be getting this weekend. Right now they want $1,495 or 149.5k miles to get back to EXP.
I am over on EQD and about 2,000 EQM away from EXP. I received the same $1,495 or 149.5K offer.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 5:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
I've gotten buyups before, but only did it once

One year I was 85K EQM and $8K EQD, and had just become PPro, when the next day I got a buyup for $2500, which I paid for. Used the 4 SWUs for SFO-LAX-AKL, so good value I thought. Of course, EXP is worth it for the other benefits too.

This year I am already PPro but will reach 91K + 11K EQD (after another trip to NZ next month), so I'm curious if I'll get a buyup offer.

BTW - I had to use BE BXP3s to upgrade for this year's trip to NZ, already confirmed on outbound 2-Dec.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by GoPhils
Well that's better than me, I'm gold this year and need 6.5 more segments to requalify, but my offer was only $565 or 56,500 miles.
Which makes how they figure what to ask for these statuses even more perplexing.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 9:40 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by exmike
Currently Plat @ $8200 EQD, 65K EQM, have travel that will push me over to PPro

Offered $1795 or 179,500 miles to buy PPro
C'mon man!
I got the same offer as you as a current PPRO but I only have $7500 EQD, though I have 71K EQM. I have a TATL flight in J in Dec that will realize 11K EQM and 1.6K EQD, so I’ll make it on my own.

I thought a $300 premium to get there without any additional flights wasn’t too bad.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 11:44 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
So I got an offer for Gold the day before I was to fly and achieve Gold. Now my offer page shows nothing available. Will I get another potential offer for Platinum this year? Or is that it?
Old Nov 8, 2019, 11:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by rumboj
It’s amazing how many people post online about how much they scoff at these year-end offers when the airlines make them. However, as someone who spent 5 years on the external audit team for one of the big 3 airlines, I can assure you that they derive quite a bit of revenue from these offers. As posted upthread, some people value their time on the ground more than the cost of the offer and many would rather stay at home than do a MR.
I don't doubt you on that, but I do question the logic of those who do pay for it outside perhaps a situation where one finds themselves in an off year where they are a bit short and are certain that the following year will be a heavy travel year where they can capture value from the status and are likely to earn status w/o paying for it, and even then with a lot of the changes the past couple years (not just at AA but in general) I'm not sure it makes sense in any circumstance.

As a current EXP, sitting at 102K EQMs and only 11.4EQDs due to a lot of BA flights where the EQD ratio didn't work out in my favor (getting 20% EQDs on a 4K ticket sucks, but not worth paying an extra 2-3K to get the AA code) plus and on top of that I ended up flying a bunch of DL F and Mint flights due to no longer being willing to take a connection due to loyalty to an airline (^ thanks to all the airlines for making domestic F fares much more reasonable).

This year I have a JL J flight and a BA F flight in the next month that will get me over the 15K EQDs so doesn't really matter but for lolz checked my offer and it does seem they are pegging it mostly to the EQD shortfall as I was quoted $3,714 or 371.5K miles which is $133 more than my shortfall of EQDs for EXP. Given my BA flight is a quick weekend trip to have dinner at an amazing restaurant in London and the JAL flight for my dive trip this year I'm quite happy to take these flights, but if it was a case of having to take an MR to earn the EQDs vs paying an extra $133 to not have to bother I could see how one might consider the buyup offer to not have to deal with a MR. A few years ago if I was in such a situation I'd probably give some consideration and even tilt towards yes if I thought I would fly enough to earn EXP in the following year organically, but today I don't think I would consider it at all. I ended up getting 4 domestic upgrades this year as the difference between Y and F was often not worth the gamble and I just paid the difference, I did use 2 SWUs and will likely end up donating the other 2 to co-workers or FT when that thread comes around next month as Intl-J has become really reasonable of late when booked in advance (and sometimes even not in advance), the limited F cabins on AA and my travel being heavily to EU
(on BA) I just can't use them. Honestly if I lost EXP the things I'd really miss the most would be the First Wing at LHR and OW F lounges in HKG/LHR...on my AA flights I don't think it would make a difference to me.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 9:30 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Reetmafreen
I got the same offer as you as a current PPRO but I only have $7500 EQD, though I have 71K EQM. I have a TATL flight in J in Dec that will realize 11K EQM and 1.6K EQD, so I’ll make it on my own.

I thought a $300 premium to get there without any additional flights wasn’t too bad.
Current Platinum at 64K EQM / 7K EQD. My offer is $2,245 / 265K miles for PPRO. But I have travel in early December that will get me there. No thanks.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 9:15 am

I’m PP currently with $19,000+ EQD, and 42,000 EQM. was offered to buy up to Plat for $1345/133.5K. Kind of ridiculous given my spend YTD...
Old Nov 17, 2019, 10:38 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by onfo
I’m PP currently with $19,000+ EQD, and 42,000 EQM. was offered to buy up to Plat for $1345/133.5K. Kind of ridiculous given my spend YTD...
That's astonishing - at $1000 per 2000 miles, you're AA's most profitable passenger! Perhaps this is what UA is thinking.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by no1cub17
That's astonishing - at $1000 per 2000 miles, you're AA's most profitable passenger! Perhaps this is what UA is thinking.
Haha, it’s really mostly a couple of last minute TATL flights.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 11:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by no1cub17
So should the person be charged at the same rate, which would be $4,000 for those missing 8,000 EQMs?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.