Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Which outstations no longer confiscate liquids?

Old Oct 28, 19, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/2MM/AC; UA Silver; Marriott LTT; National Car Executive Elite

On my HKG - DFW trips this year, they no longer confiscate liquids (to drink) on the jetway. However, on my EZE - DFW this year, they did.

Which other outstations no longer confiscate liquids?
Old Oct 28, 19, 11:39 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I had no idea that they would take away your drink on the jet way...
that is news to me..
Old Oct 28, 19, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by MsEverywhere View Post
On my HKG - DFW trips this year, they no longer confiscate liquids (to drink) on the jetway. However, on my EZE - DFW this year, they did.

Which other outstations no longer confiscate liquids?
They do take away liquids larger than 3 oz if you got SSSS and you bag is searched on the jetway I believe
cmx likes this.
Old Oct 28, 19, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I recall in PEK there was a vending machine at the top of the jetway. My colleague purchased a bottle of water, which was promptly taken away at the secondary screening table before boarding the plane. We joked that they probably keep the vending machine stocked this way. This was ~8-10 yrs ago.
Old Oct 28, 19, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP/CK 8 MILLION MILES, DL, UA MILLION MILER, MARRIOTT TITANIUM, HILTON DIAMOND, HERTZ PRESIDENTS
Flying out of SCL a year ago my water was confiscated ... a few months ago flew out of SCL and they did not confiscate ... I think it is hit or miss but more common in Latin America
cmx likes this.
Old Oct 28, 19, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by fotographer View Post
I had no idea that they would take away your drink on the jet way...
that is news to me..
Until recently, used to be the norm at HKG. Duty Free stores wouldn't even sell you liquids if you were US bound.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Oct 28, 19, 1:40 pm

Programs: AS, AA, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
TLV. Once they commence flights. They never adopted the initial 3oz rule anyways for hand luggage through security.
Old Oct 28, 19, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH DIA, Hyatt DIA
Was on SCL --> MIA earlier this year and (almost) all bags were searched and drinks removed for customers coming down the jet bridge that were bigger than the toiletry size.
Old Oct 28, 19, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlatAmb, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Gold
They've been doing this at EZE for quite some time.
Is it correlated to a requirement of the US and its evaluation of the security check at the airport?
A decade ago, it was pretty common to get secondary screening on flights to the US in many parts of the world - even in Tokyo.
However, that's seemingly become somewhat rare.
Old Oct 28, 19, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Best Buy Elite, Starbucks Gold, Sweetgreen Green
Are you interested in specific "outstations"? I've haven't experienced this on AA, but I haven't been through the ports noted above.
Old Oct 28, 19, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by MsEverywhere View Post
You are presenting your anecdotal experience as a universal truth. Flying CX from HKG to the US, I have taken a water bottle from the lounge several times. Sometimes it is confiscated, sometimes they pretend to search but see nothing, and sometimes there is no search.

Now in the general security line (not the pre-boarding additional security to US destinations), which you also have to go through, they have always confiscated liquids in my experience..
Old Oct 28, 19, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Confiscating water at the gate is literally one of the stupidest things I've ever seen. Makes zero sense whatsoever. If the US supposedly requires this on inbound flights, then why not on domestic flights too? That bottle of water that's such a big security threat isn't scary if boarding a domestic flight, apparently.
Spiff, nancypants and FLTripper like this.
Old Oct 28, 19, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlatAmb, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by no1cub17 View Post
Confiscating water at the gate is literally one of the stupidest things I've ever seen. Makes zero sense whatsoever. If the US supposedly requires this on inbound flights, then why not on domestic flights too? That bottle of water that's such a big security threat isn't scary if boarding a domestic flight, apparently.
Not debating the benefit (or not) of the liquids ban, the US does require this on domestic flights. However, within the US, the liquids inspection/confiscation is done at TSA checkpoint when going airside. I think the issue is that they don't always do this (or the US doesn't trust them to do this) at all airports outside of the US. Therefore, they have secondary screening at the gate for US-bound flights. As an example, when visiting the wine region in Argentina, you can actually carry on bottles of wine on a flight from Mendoza to Buenos Aires.
Old Oct 28, 19, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by safari ari View Post
TLV. Once they commence flights. They never adopted the initial 3oz rule anyways for hand luggage through security.
Why would they, it is actually a 100 ml rule or 3.3814 fluid ounces? (TSA signs about 3 ounces are misleading)
The El Al site states the 100 ml rule (as does another Israel based airline, but I haven't yet found a government restriction (Perhaps it is in Hebrew)
https://www.elal.com/en/PassengersIn...s/Liquids.aspx

That said, it is a FOOLISH rule. Nothing prevents a bunch of terrorist to board a plane and then combine the amount of liquid they have.
Additional that 100 ml rule does not apply to medically required liquids or liquids for babies.
I find it a bit foolish I can carry saline solution, but not a bottle of water, over 100 ml without the salt
That said, I thank the TSA because I have not been assaulted at an airport by Kelly LeBrock carrying over 100 ml bottle of Pantene. because I hated her for being beautiful
I am more than thankful the "shoe bomber" had not place the bomb in his underwear or we would have to go through security "commando style"
TSA has a job to do, but I feel the vast majority of what they they are visibly doing at airports is a dog and pony show.
(Now, I am hoping I don't see SSSS for my trip to San Juan next week)
Centurion likes this.
Old Oct 28, 19, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly View Post
You are presenting your anecdotal experience as a universal truth.

no.... HKG stopped the general liquid check/confiscation at the gates as of Nov last year
laagima likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: