Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

New “now boarding” notification on the app (Oct 2019)

Old Oct 20, 19, 8:27 am
Original Poster

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: AA EXP, WN CP, HH Gold, Marriot Plat

I was waiting on AA402 yesterday when I received a push notification that the flight was boarding. Pretty happy to see this change in the app (albeit a few years behind the competition).
Old Oct 20, 19, 10:19 am

Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.
I noticed that as well. Its handy. Sometimes I loose track of time in the lounge so I'm constantly checking the app ha ha.
Old Oct 20, 19, 11:03 am

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
I can't remember if I got the notifications on Tuesday, but definitely got a notification for both segments on Friday. It was a little unnerving to get a notification from the AA app so close to the flight time (delay?), but it's usually a notification from the app and a text message at the same time that means it is bad news...
Old Oct 20, 19, 1:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
I was just thinking about this on Thursday. I noticed my app said my flight was boarding, but was wondering why they don't just go the next step and have it send a notification. Hopefully it's reliable.
Old Oct 20, 19, 3:00 pm

Would be nice if it did send notification few min before actually boarding is about to start. Usually GAs announce that boarding will start in a few minutes and after that they unlock jet bridge door abs start processing preboards. If you are in MIA FL and they send you a push notification when 5th boarding pass is scanned (I think that’s how system is configured) you won’t have time to make it to your low D gate before group 5 starts boarding
VaBeachGirl likes this.
Old Oct 20, 19, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat
Unfortunately it is impossible to predict when boarding will start, unless it has actually started.

Well, technically it is possible if the staff will push a button when they are 5 min from boarding, but at AA that will never work. Indeed, with other airlines as well, their goal is to get everyone lined up and waiting at the gate whether or not boarding is really about to start. This app goes the opposite way, the tradeoff is you might board later than your early group.
Passmethesickbag likes this.
Old Oct 20, 19, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

2019 Secret Santa

Originally Posted by gateH15 View Post
Would be nice if it did send notification few min before actually boarding is about to start. Usually GAs announce that boarding will start in a few minutes and after that they unlock jet bridge door abs start processing preboards. If you are in MIA FL and they send you a push notification when 5th boarding pass is scanned (I think that’s how system is configured) you won’t have time to make it to your low D gate before group 5 starts boarding
In this case, I think it was after the first BP was scanned that I got the notification. I happened to be standing right by the podium and the time between the first two BPs and the rest was pretty long.
Old Oct 20, 19, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by timmy83 View Post
In this case, I think it was after the first BP was scanned that I got the notification. I happened to be standing right by the podium and the time between the first two BPs and the rest was pretty long.
Maybe they scanned preboard BPs before that.
Here is the article where it says it only sends push after 5th boarding pass is scanned.
https://viewfromthewing.com/how-amer...actually-work/
Old Oct 20, 19, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

2019 Secret Santa

Maybe they scanned preboard BPs before that.
Here is the article where it says it only sends push after 5th boarding pass is scanned.
https://viewfromthewing.com/how-amer...actually-work/
maybe. Interesting approach - thanks for the link!
Old Oct 20, 19, 6:49 pm

No notification for boarding at ONT today.
Old Oct 20, 19, 7:21 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by seigex View Post
Interesting, I got a boarding notification on the Android app for ONT-PHX on Friday morning...
Old Oct 20, 19, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by seigex View Post
Maybe your notifications are disabled for AA app?
Old Oct 20, 19, 8:21 pm

Maybe your notifications are disabled for AA app?
Good call.. turns out I did turn them off in Android settings for the AA app. Turned them back on and got notified for this leg of the flight.
Old Oct 20, 19, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Travelled from CMI-ORD-LGA this past Friday evening. I boarded in Group 3, and got the notification when I sat down in my seat on both legs. Thanks I guess?
Old Oct 21, 19, 1:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, SBUX Gold
Here’s hoping that these extra notifications don’t extend to email as well. UA in particular likes to flood my inbox with these types of notifications throughout the travel day.

Search this Thread