Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Increasing Carry On Bag Enforcement, Audits (Oct 2019)

AA Increasing Carry On Bag Enforcement, Audits (Oct 2019)

Old Oct 22, 19, 1:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The FAA has really hit AA hard over this, with AA having to do self-audits over a policy of AA’s own making.
Old Oct 22, 19, 1:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
The FAA has really hit AA hard over this, with AA having to do self-audits over a policy of AA’s own making.
That's not how it works.
Old Oct 22, 19, 1:28 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat
its like the FAA electronic devices ban. Or the FAA has mandated that you use the bathroom in your ticketed cabin of service. They havent actually banned it, - they /may/ have submitted their planned operation manual and the FAA blessed that - but I wouldnt call that as the FAA requiring that I have to use the economy class bathrooms eventhough the announcement is such.
Old Oct 22, 19, 1:37 pm

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by JonNYC View Post
That's not how it works.
Then explain how you think it works. The government going to slap AA with a materially insignificant fine — materially insignificant for AA — if AA doesn’t comply with AA’s own cabin baggage policy, as filed by AA with the government, and doesn’t do the self-audit? That is how I’d expect it to work.
Old Oct 22, 19, 1:51 pm

Programs: Priority Club PLT, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP
Originally Posted by anthem View Post
the question is whether this will be enforced for all cabins of service or just a select few. . . about 4 months ago while going through JFK, I had my carry on - which is the older 22x14" depth size - they have now gone to the 22x12" size but the majority of bags in the US do not comply. .

Anyhow, the reason I bring this up is that i was late boarding since it was a transfer and the militant lady measured my bag and said It would not be allowed through. I used the "I just flew this yesterday and you were fine with it " argument. . . She says - doesnt matter. Then the other lady whispered that me and my fiance were first class (we had been 500 mile upgraded), so she just muttered something and let us through. .

So the issue is whether this will be strictly enforced regardless of ticket class, or be enforced only for those boarding groups past Concierge Key, ExPlat, and priority boarrding groups ? Because I get the sneaky feeling that they want to enforce this for just the 5-9 groups. ..
See this internal note that JonNYC posted on Twitter.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Oct 22, 19, 1:59 pm

Programs: Priority Club PLT, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP
Report from a FB post from an EXP group.

Coming out of PHX today they are size checking every bag at all the gates I could see. The best is I’m on a CRJ900 and gate checking, I asked the GA why its matters on the bag sizing if I’m gate checking. Sir we are sizing every bag no matter what. Going for Great. This should only add about another 30 minutes to the boarding process.
Old Oct 22, 19, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Concierge Key/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite lifetime
Are they going to make every customer put their standard carry-on bag into the sizer to check now? or just people whose bags look too big or have one too many?
Old Oct 22, 19, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by no1cub17 View Post
No, it's not an unreasonable expectation. But for whatever reason you don't understand that human beings act like human beings and not like robots. If we were all robots programmed to follow the rules, that would be one thing. But we're not.

For as long as rules have existed, people have and will push and bend the rules. That's just how it is.
Which seems a good reason why the airline should consistently be enforcing it. People are likely to buy compliant bags if they know that the kitchen sink will not be permitted.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Oct 22, 19, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
This is certainly something that I'll be monitoring. Current AA policy is 22H x 14W x 9D.

A few years back I bought a Rimowa bag that is 22H x 17.7W x 9.8D. It fits in the sizer but if you inspect it closely you can see there is about 3" extra on the width. My thought at the time was that most agents wouldn't notice the extra width because it wasn't being policed. I knew that it didn't meet policy and was 100% prepared to gate check if needed but it was worth the risk.... at the time.

About a year ago, around when it seemed like there was more policing of the policy (especially pre-security at ORD), I decided to purchase a complaint bag. I purchased the Away carry-on which has been great and measures at 21.7H x 13.7W x 9D. I travel with this bag now about 85% of the time.

About the only time I travel with the Rimowa is when I have a trip longer than 5 nights and a need for a jacket or suit. I hate checking a bag if I can help it.

I have a trip coming up that I depart on 11/3 for 7 nights (all domestic). I need to bring a suit so the plan was to fit everything in my Rimowa. I'm now wondering if I'm going to be stopped or not. Guess I better be prepared for it.

The worst part is I regret purchasing the Rimowa. It was not cheap and probably not worth the extra 3" for the hassle. I try to be compliant as much as I can but like a lot of people I don't hesitate to take the risk from time to time.
Spanish likes this.
Old Oct 22, 19, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Best Buy Elite, Starbucks Gold, Sweetgreen Green
Originally Posted by anthem View Post
the question is whether this will be enforced for all cabins of service or just a select few. . . about 4 months ago while going through JFK, I had my carry on - which is the older 22x14" depth size - they have now gone to the 22x12" size but the majority of bags in the US do not comply. .
Who has gone to 12"? AA is still 22 x 14 x 9, and 18 x 14 x 8 for the personal item.
Old Oct 22, 19, 4:16 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
My go-to carry on is a B&R BU-222x. Never had an issue with it on AA. Listed as 22x14x9, but I'm sure it's been larger on times where I packed too much. Next time I'll have to measure to see how much bigger it gets as I suspect the factory measurements are with absolutely nothing putting pressure on it to expand whatsoever.

Let's hope further restrictions are not coming, especially on weight. That's probably my least favorite thing about most foreign airlines is the severe restriction - my laptop backpack doesn't even meet it. Fortunately I've been able to avoid them most of the time and get away with it the times where I've had to use them, but when being forced to take lowest cost airfare sometimes I will not have that option.
Old Oct 22, 19, 4:54 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat
Originally Posted by deeruck View Post
Who has gone to 12"? AA is still 22 x 14 x 9, and 18 x 14 x 8 for the personal item.
My apologies. It was the drop from 22x16x9 to 22x14x9 . . they are still allowing the majority of 16" width bags on to the plane.

As for the carry on policy. it is obviously NOT an FAA policy. just a faa policy to follow your own guidelines. Because there are still planes flying in the United states on some airlines that are 22x16x9
Old Oct 22, 19, 5:09 pm
Suspended

Some background from another thread here:
AA carry on / carryon baggage rules & enforcement (master thd)

And:
https://travelingbetter.vbulletin.ne...s-an-far/page2
Old Oct 22, 19, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
Which seems a good reason why the airline should consistently be enforcing it. People are likely to buy compliant bags if they know that the kitchen sink will not be permitted.
Or, be smart and meet in the middle. The blatant violators get stopped AND AA makes their sizer slightly more reasonable; the sizer is stupid as it leaves unusable space even in an E175 bin on top.

This way, you don't needlessly piss off people with zero gain. And, to the other posters example, why freeway speed limits aren't 25 mph.

Last edited by Antarius; Oct 22, 19 at 5:26 pm
Old Oct 22, 19, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
Or, be smart and meet in the middle. The blatant violators get stopped AND AA makes their sizer slightly more reasonable; the sizer is stupid as it leaves unusable space even in an E175 bin on top.

This way, you don't needlessly piss off people with zero gain. And, to the other posters example, why freeway speed limits aren't 25 mph.
There is no blatant or non blatant violation when it comes to the size of a bag - either someone has a bag that is compliant or doen't - outside of cases of overfilling the bag, it is not something where sometimes the bag will be legal and sometimes it isn't

Search this Thread
Search Engine: