Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Increasing Carry On Bag Enforcement, Audits (Oct 2019)

AA Increasing Carry On Bag Enforcement, Audits (Oct 2019)

Old Oct 21, 19, 7:11 pm

Programs: AA - Platinum, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Executive, NEXUS
Originally Posted by ikwia View Post
I could have sworn that AA used to list items that were allowed and did NOT count against your carry-on allowance...I thought the list included reading material, a jacket, food to consume on-board, umbrella, and maybe some other items. Am I misremembering, or have these exclusions be removed?
I specifically recall "pillow" was on that list.
Old Oct 21, 19, 7:18 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by pa3lsvt View Post
I specifically recall "pillow" was on that list.
So should a teddy bear or as I remind the kid-lets, an ESPA (emotional support plush animal).

Thank goodness ESCKs (emotional support concierge keys) are still permitted.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Oct 21, 19, 7:41 pm
Suspended

A little more on it;
Old Oct 21, 19, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA CK (3MM), Marriott LTT and Ambassador, Uber Diamond, UA Gold
Although this seems to be without real basis, 3 AC agents at 2 different airports told me today the new carry-on enforcement will involve weighing bags. I don’t see any mention of carry-on weight limits on AA’s website, so this seems unlikely to me. But I figured I’d pass it along.
Old Oct 22, 19, 6:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
No, this won't work. It was actually tried for a while a number of years ago - there were sizers built onto the entrance of the bag x-ray machines, so anything larger than "approved" wouldn't even fit through. They didn't last all that long.
The main problem is that different airlines have different size limits. Even the same airline can have different size limits - I believe B6 uses a smaller size for its E190s which have smaller bins. So TSA can't really enforce multiple regulations.

What they really need to do is have kiosks where you scan your BP, put your bag in a sizer, and if it meets the requirements, it spits out a bag tag that has the date and flight number in big text, and this needs to be visible on ANY bag put in the overhead. That's probably an unrealistic investment in IT and machinery; they could have gate agents effectively do the same, but that's an investment in labor.
The idea in the second paragraph above is an interesting idea, but in practice it would be subject to being gamed — sort of as it happened with pets in cabins, wheelchair requests and so on, but even more easily in the scenario you suggest above — unless this (size check+tagging process) was required to be done at the gate under the watchful eye of an airline rep/contractor. But even doing this at the gate would involve yet another bottle-necking, and that can be an inconvenience to the airline and passengers who are compliant with the airline’s own carry-on baggage policy as filed (by the airline) with the government. Even when all passengers on a given flight are compliant with the airline’s carry-on baggage policy.
Old Oct 22, 19, 8:19 am

Programs: AA- EXP UA - Silver SPG- PLT Marriott- PLT
This, too, shall pass.
GTITAN, jcatman and Spanish like this.
Old Oct 22, 19, 8:54 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post

Is it really that big of an expectation that bags that people want to take on meet the requirements. It is not as if the size requirements are frequently changing on AA
No, it's not an unreasonable expectation. But for whatever reason you don't understand that human beings act like human beings and not like robots. If we were all robots programmed to follow the rules, that would be one thing. But we're not.

For as long as rules have existed, people have and will push and bend the rules. That's just how it is.

Just as cops generally don't issue speeding tickets to those going 65 on 60 because they'd rather nail the guy going 75, AA would be far better served focusing on the worst offenders, rather than someone carrying a newspaper.
Antarius likes this.
Old Oct 22, 19, 8:55 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Although this seems to be without real basis, 3 AC agents at 2 different airports told me today the new carry-on enforcement will involve weighing bags. I don’t see any mention of carry-on weight limits on AA’s website, so this seems unlikely to me. But I figured I’d pass it along.
That's hilarious. I guess we should be keeping a close eye on aa.com to see if they make any clandestine changes to carryon bag limits!
Old Oct 22, 19, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by no1cub17 View Post
That's hilarious. I guess we should be keeping a close eye on aa.com to see if they make any clandestine changes to carryon bag limits!
Lets hope not! Many foreign carriers have 7kg limits for carry-ons which is like 15 lbs. My Tumi rollaboard weighs like 6 lbs empty!
SkyTeam777, wrp96 and Spanish like this.
Old Oct 22, 19, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
my biggest gripe with the carrier-defined carry-on limit is the current allowable "bag depth" measure. a compliant carry on would have several inches of extra space in a tiny MD-80 overhead, which is no longer in the system. even the 175s can fit bags that you couldn't squeeze into an MD-80 bin.
Old Oct 22, 19, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
No strict enforcement today. Just boarded a 752 to sky harbor and some guy walked down to his seat with a huge guitar.
Spiff likes this.
Old Oct 22, 19, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
or an improvement of the passenger experience for those that comply already , with less kitchen sinks being taken onboard given that that 'fit inside the locker'
Waiting to board while my fellow passenger has a tantrum at the gate is not my idea of an improvement to the customer experience, regardless of how compliant my bag is. I believe this change makes the above scenario significantly more probable.

Saunders111
Spiff likes this.
Old Oct 22, 19, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
Originally Posted by saunders111 View Post
Waiting to board while my fellow passenger has a tantrum at the gate is not my idea of an improvement to the customer experience, regardless of how compliant my bag is. I believe this change makes the above scenario significantly more probable.

Saunders111

if they've truly received an FAA notice, then they don't really have a choice but to do this. I think a bigger issue may be that the current carry on dimensions appear excessively small (especially bag depth) given the bin size on all current mainline aircraft.
Old Oct 22, 19, 12:10 pm

I could have sworn that AA used to list items that were allowed and did NOT count against your carry-on allowance...I thought the list included reading material, a jacket, food to consume on-board, umbrella, and maybe some other items. Am I misremembering, or have these exclusions be removed?
For years the Macdonalds ads at dfw had a picture of fast food and the caption “does not count as a carry on item”. Maybe still do for all I know.

Saunders111
Old Oct 22, 19, 12:28 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat
the question is whether this will be enforced for all cabins of service or just a select few. . . about 4 months ago while going through JFK, I had my carry on - which is the older 22x14" depth size - they have now gone to the 22x12" size but the majority of bags in the US do not comply. .

Anyhow, the reason I bring this up is that i was late boarding since it was a transfer and the militant lady measured my bag and said It would not be allowed through. I used the "I just flew this yesterday and you were fine with it " argument. . . She says - doesnt matter. Then the other lady whispered that me and my fiance were first class (we had been 500 mile upgraded), so she just muttered something and let us through. .

So the issue is whether this will be strictly enforced regardless of ticket class, or be enforced only for those boarding groups past Concierge Key, ExPlat, and priority boarrding groups ? Because I get the sneaky feeling that they want to enforce this for just the 5-9 groups. ..

Search this Thread
Search Engine: