Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Increasing Carry On Bag Enforcement, Audits (Oct 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Increasing Carry On Bag Enforcement, Audits (Oct 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2019, 7:10 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by bchandler02
I'm ok with them being strict on # of luggage items. But a bag of food? Something that you carry on, but will not carry off? Come on.
Also, don't argue over 1/4 inch on a bag. My bag has flex for a reason, based on how much I need to pack for a trip.
Exactly. Get the big stuff. The one's where you don't need a tape measure to know it is oversized. I highly doubt they are going to stop anyone carrying a sandwich or carrying their coat instead of wearing it. If they do, they deserve every bit of negative publicity they will receive.
bchandler02 and cmtlatitudes like this.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 9:15 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
Exactly. Get the big stuff. The one's where you don't need a tape measure to know it is oversized. I highly doubt they are going to stop anyone carrying a sandwich or carrying their coat instead of wearing it. If they do, they deserve every bit of negative publicity they will receive.
I got stopped for carrying my coat in ORD. The same gate agent stopped a CK in front of me for carrying a newspaper!
Antarius likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by donotblink
I got stopped for carrying my coat in ORD. The same gate agent stopped a CK in front of me for carrying a newspaper!
Now that is the just the silliest thing I've ever heard, especially the latter. Good lord I hope someone filmed that silly gate agent.
Antarius likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 9:41 am

Just a data point, but I got poached at CDG 2F earlier in the year by one of the contract guards at the line entrance while transiting INT-DOM. They had a special "pull-off" area with a scale and sizer ready to go. Actually now that I think about it, they were set up a bit down the line, a bit hidden from those who might want to see if they were checking or not. Turned around, given a "ticket" (just a description of the non-complying condition) and back to a kiosk to check the bag. Seems like this approach might take some of the guesswork and D0 fudge factor out of the equation, especially if this process became recognized as the norm.

I realize this entire subject sits in the "damned if you do, damned if you don't" arena, but I thought this was an interesting approach that makes the process much more firewalled from the frenzy at the gate.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by enviroian
Now that is the just the silliest thing I've ever heard, especially the latter. Good lord I hope someone filmed that silly gate agent.
Penny wise. Pound foolish.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by donotblink
So I wonder what'll happen under the "new" policy/audit, when a passenger says: "OK, I need my carry-on and personal item. Please gate-check my newspaper."

Because you know someone will.
Spiff, deeruck, rasheed and 3 others like this.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 10:09 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes
So I wonder what'll happen under the "new" policy/audit, when a passenger says: "OK, I need my carry-on and personal item. Please gate-check my newspaper."

Please someone volunteer to do this ASAP. I'd do it, but generally out of OKC they are very laid back.
wrp96 and no1cub17 like this.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 10:21 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Marriot Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum/2022 Titanium
That linked article has almost zero information in it. The carryon policy has many parts to it, but there was zero detail given as to what will be audited and how. i.e. it's useless.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Spiff, wrp96 and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 10:54 am

[QUOTE=Antarius;31651441][/

QUOTE]

That is hilarious.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines

The day I walk down the jetway and see a USA Today hanging from a clip with a "gate check" tag on it is the day my inhaler will be in full use from laughing.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 12:04 pm

This am a guy boards with first though his boarding pass is clearly for coach. GA stops him and politely says you have more items than allowed. He had a garment bag, a roller bag and a back pack. He gives my favorite answer, I take this flight every Monday and this I what I always have. Ga says sir I am sorry but policy only allows you to bring on two items. He argues that his garment bag will be hung in the closet. He is holding up the entire line arguing. The GA says I will let you on this week but I am making a note and next week you may not bring three items. We need to enforce policy more rigorously. She then turned to the other GA and said this is going to be fun.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tennessetom
This am a guy boards with first though his boarding pass is clearly for coach. GA stops him and politely says you have more items than allowed. He had a garment bag, a roller bag and a back pack. He gives my favorite answer, I take this flight every Monday and this I what I always have. Ga says sir I am sorry but policy only allows you to bring on two items. He argues that his garment bag will be hung in the closet. He is holding up the entire line arguing. The GA says I will let you on this week but I am making a note and next week you may not bring three items. We need to enforce policy more rigorously. She then turned to the other GA and said this is going to be fun.
These are the people that AA needs to police. Not the guy with a bag 0.5 inches over the line on the sizer or the guy with a newspaper.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mtofell
At the security checkpoint would be the most practical place to regulate size.
No, this won't work. It was actually tried for a while a number of years ago - there were sizers built onto the entrance of the bag x-ray machines, so anything larger than "approved" wouldn't even fit through. They didn't last all that long.
The main problem is that different airlines have different size limits. Even the same airline can have different size limits - I believe B6 uses a smaller size for its E190s which have smaller bins. So TSA can't really enforce multiple regulations.

What they really need to do is have kiosks where you scan your BP, put your bag in a sizer, and if it meets the requirements, it spits out a bag tag that has the date and flight number in big text, and this needs to be visible on ANY bag put in the overhead. That's probably an unrealistic investment in IT and machinery; they could have gate agents effectively do the same, but that's an investment in labor.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 2:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Antarius
These are the people that AA needs to police. Not the guy with a bag 0.5 inches over the line on the sizer or the guy with a newspaper.
becuase they should only enforce the rules on others

Someone with a 0.5" oversize bag is never within the limits and should be one that is addressed. When people realise that they cannot get away with bags that are too large, then people will start using compliant bags and helps improve siuation - the US seems to be where cabin baggage is an issue a lot more than anywhere else I travel. The aeroplanes in the US are not smaller than elsewhere

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.