Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Increasing Carry On Bag Enforcement, Audits (Oct 2019)

AA Increasing Carry On Bag Enforcement, Audits (Oct 2019)

Old Nov 17, 2019, 10:37 am

There simply needs to be a uniform policy that is enforced systemwide. I see it all the time when flying to leisure destinations. A family will spend $15K for a week in Disney World, but refuse to pay for checked luggage. Then there are those who fly Basic Economy and throw a fit at the gate.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 11:15 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
No enforcement in DUB, PHL, or OKC on my trip last week. Business as usual at all places.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 7:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Last week, the dragons at the bottom of the escalator to Pre Check at LAX T4 were in rare form...they were making everyone put their bags in the sizer, even when it was obvious they would fit. A woman in front of me had a compliant duffel bag, but when she put it in the sizer, one of the outside pockets got hung up on the metal rail, so the dragon said she had to go check it. The woman lightly tapped the pocket and the entirety of the bag was then within the confines of the sizer, and she then took the bag and went up the escalator while the dragon yelled after her to come back. LOL

I don't understand the application of the baggage "rules" pre-security. The requirement isn't to have a compliant bag at time of security, it is at time of boarding. And I understand if AA wants to use contractors to help with enforcement, but IMHO this should only be done when there is an AA employee nearby to adjudicate (such as at the gate).
Old Nov 17, 2019, 8:59 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Assuming the bag checker isn't the TSA person checking your boarding pass, why not just tell them you are flying on xxxxx airlines so they leave you alone?
Old Nov 17, 2019, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by jghassell
So yeah, I think a paid F ticket who says, "can I please just have a shot at finding space" ought to be allowed to have a shot at finding space without getting a bunch of s#*t for it, and they ought to be trained to have the two points of IQ required to understand that this is a premium passenger and generally ought to be given the benefit of the doubt.
Many (far from all) FAs enforce that the first class bin space is for F passengers only. For me, this is one of the most valuable benefits of domestic F. I can board late and still have a place for my bag.

You'll still get the odd flight where every F pax on a 738 has a rolling bag and then you're out of luck. This happens sometimes on flights with lots of international connections e.g. ex-MIA. But that has nothing to do with boarding groups. I would suggest that if the bag is compliant and the passenger is in F they should be allowed to board and try to find a place for their bag.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 11:01 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by _kurt

You'll still get the odd flight where every F pax on a 738 has a rolling bag and then you're out of luck. This happens sometimes on flights with lots of international connections e.g. ex-MIA. But that has nothing to do with boarding groups. I would suggest that if the bag is compliant and the passenger is in F they should be allowed to board and try to find a place for their bag.
Ive been flying domestic F for years and Ive never noticed a problem with overhead bin space not being adequate for all F passengers with rolling bags. On a few occasions, crew luggage was a problem and also Economy passengers dumping bags there with no FA enforcement. Is there really not enough space for 16 rolling bags in F, even allowing for personal item storage for the four bulkhead passengers?
Old Nov 18, 2019, 4:44 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by wireless_999
I was flying paid F and J intl but doubt that makes any difference.
On FT it does
Old Nov 18, 2019, 6:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
Originally Posted by _kurt
Many (far from all) FAs enforce that the first class bin space is for F passengers only. For me, this is one of the most valuable benefits of domestic F. I can board late and still have a place for my bag.

I'm a nervous nelly and always board with group 1. You're right the 738 fills up fast. So does the E175 and A319. Too bad there's not proper closet spaces, just in case.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 9:18 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
On a PSA CRJ-200 flight today, the gate agent was actively asking passengers to use the sizer, which seemed odd given all the bags would end up in the hold anyway. I guess in the FAA's eyes there's still a distinction even when bags are valet tagged.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 2:34 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
On a PSA CRJ-200 flight today, the gate agent was actively asking passengers to use the sizer, which seemed odd given all the bags would end up in the hold anyway. I guess in the FAA's eyes there's still a distinction even when bags are valet tagged.
Was it at an outstation? They may have orders to size bags on the first leg so that connecting passengers don't run into inconsistency on their next leg ("but it was fine on my first flight!").
wrp96 and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta, Amtrak, Hertz PC
AA 1002 ORD-DCA today (11/18) gate H14. There was an announcement ahead of time that anyone with oversize bags or more then 1 carry on and one personal item would be expected to check their bag. Announcement was polite and the gate agent said she appreciated our assistance.

There was an employee standing behind the boarding pass scanner, it appears her job was to look at bag sizes. One of the first passengers (likely first class), with what appeared to be an overstuffed bag was ask to check. He didn't even bother with the sizer. He did not appear to be overly upset. The employee was still when I boarded with group 4. She was definitely looking at bags, but did not ask anyone else to put their bag in the sizer.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.

Last edited by KBMIFlyer; Nov 18, 2019 at 2:53 pm
Old Nov 18, 2019, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by KBMIFlyer
AA 1002 ORD-DCA today (11/18) gate H14. There was an announcement ahead of time that anyone with oversize bags or more then 1 carry on and one personal item would be expected to check their bag. Announcement was polite and the gate agent said she appreciated our assistance.

There was an employee standing behind the boarding pass scanner, it appears her job was to look at bag sizes. One of the first passengers (likely first class), with what appeared to be an overstuffed bag was ask to check. He didn't even bother with the sizer. He did not appear to be overly upset. The employee was still when I boarded with group 4. She was definitely looking at bags, but did not ask anyone else to put their bag in the sizer.
I see enough carryon bags that I feel my eyes are calibrated to easily determine the ones exceeding the limits. Im sure these agents can tell by looking which ones are out of tolerance without using the sizer.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA P DL MR UA
Originally Posted by ikwia
Last week, the dragons at the bottom of the escalator to Pre Check at LAX T4 were in rare form...they were making everyone put their bags in the sizer, even when it was obvious they would fit.
I had the same dragons at that terminal two weeks ago. They were telling people "it's too big,you'll have to check that" without putting any bags (while I was there) in the sizer right next to them. I told her it would fit in the sizer. She huffed and told me to just go on, waving me on up the escalator. Last I saw, she was still arguing with other passengers with carry-ons that looked within the limits, but not using the sizer.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dtremit
Was it at an outstation? They may have orders to size bags on the first leg so that connecting passengers don't run into inconsistency on their next leg ("but it was fine on my first flight!").
DCA
Old Nov 18, 2019, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta, Amtrak, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by AA100k
I see enough carryon bags that I feel my eyes are calibrated to easily determine the ones exceeding the limits. I’m sure these agents can tell by looking which ones are out of tolerance without using the sizer.
I agree with this. I think she was looking for bags that were obviously too big, as opposed to the ones that were maybe just slightly oversize. I personally don't really have a problem with that.
GrumpyYoungMan and AA100k like this.

Last edited by KBMIFlyer; Nov 18, 2019 at 7:51 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.