Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Increasing Carry On Bag Enforcement, Audits (Oct 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Increasing Carry On Bag Enforcement, Audits (Oct 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2019, 1:15 am

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by ryan182
You're conflating two separate issues, the "we are going to have to gate check roller boards for anyone in group 5/6/7" is for AAs benefit to meet D0 (on-time departure) as they are speculating that those bags won't find OHB space and are trying to avoid gate-checks after boarding has started because that delays departure. The FAA gives pretty much exactly -0- Fs about AAs internal policies that prioritize D0 over everything, what they do care about is that AA stipulated in filings to the FAA what the maximum dimensions of carryons they will allow. I might be wrong here but as I understand it that filing and those dimensions are essentially a FAR which means that AA needs to abide by them and not doing so gets the attention of the FAA, which apparently has occurred and now AA will "self-audit" aka we got this Mr/Mrs regulator, sorry - will fix ASAP please leave us alone. For pax this probably means more scrutiny of bag sizes at least for the short term, like all else in this realm eventually it will fade away until next time....
But the size doesn't matter when they force everyone to transform their carryons into checked baggage. So again . . . what the heck will they audit? (Of course, it would be nice if they actually DID make everyone conform to the correct size--and number. Maybe then they could give up the overreactive gate-checking.)

Last edited by hotturnip; Oct 19, 2019 at 1:17 am Reason: Clarification
Old Oct 19, 2019, 1:26 am

Originally Posted by hotturnip
But the size doesn't matter when they force everyone to transform their carryons into checked baggage. So again . . . what the heck will they audit? (Of course, it would be nice if they actually DID make everyone conform to the correct size--and number. Maybe then they could give up the overreactive gate-checking.)

Where else BUT the gate are they able to conduct such enforcement?
Old Oct 19, 2019, 1:23 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by trooper

Where else BUT the gate are they able to conduct such enforcement?
There’s always those aggravating people in the blue vests outside security.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Aside from the free carry-on checked policy at the gate, those seated in business/domestic first class can also have their gate tagged bag delivered to the gate and not baggage claim. This was a policy from US Airways that was brought over to the merged carrier. Of course, I know that no one wants to let go of their bag, but if it becomes necessary (late boarding or related), remember your options.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by rasheed
Aside from the free carry-on checked policy at the gate, those seated in business/domestic first class can also have their gate tagged bag delivered to the gate and not baggage claim. This was a policy from US Airways that was brought over to the merged carrier. Of course, I know that no one wants to let go of their bag, but if it becomes necessary (late boarding or related), remember your options.
I asked for my bag to be delivered to the gate and agent at LGA refused to do that and just tagged it normally and told me to bring it to the airplane door. I removed the tag while walking and of course there were plenty of space even tho I ended up boarding with group 7
Spiff, LovePrunes and chitink like this.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 4:35 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by gateH15
and of course there were plenty of space even tho I ended up boarding with group 7
This seems to be standard procedure with Alaska - the gate agents starts scaring everyone into thinking there is some abnormally heavy amount of usage on the overhead bins yet when you board they are only 2/3 full.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 4:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Good on both FAA and AA. My guess is that similar warnings went to other carriers as well or that, at least, the smart ones will do a better enforcement job before they get nabbed.

In fairness, AA seems to do a decent job of it already in a number of ways:

1. At some stations, there is a baggage handler assigned to the gate area and when a bag is tagged, she takes it and the passenger does not cart it off. Thus, no scamming the system by ripping off the tag.

2. With mainline gate tags which are standard bag tags associated with a PNR, I've twice seen a GA board and ask for a passenger to identify himself and then walk over and advise that the bag hasn't been scanned into the hold and would the passenger mind "looking for it." Queue the violent objections and GA asking whether the pax wants to fly.

Both fees and OH space are red herrings. AA does not charge to do this and the issue has nothing to do with whether there is space as the matter at hand is that passengers are bringing on carry-ons which are too large. While I suppose that there are other features which could be "audited" I doubt that's an issue.
GrumpyYoungMan and nancypants like this.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 6:57 pm

In the interests of other passengers, oversize bags should be intercepted at the gate and the owner charged at rate for excess checked bags. If they don't pay, then the bag doesn't fly.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 7:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by RGS5526
In the interests of other passengers, oversize bags should be intercepted at the gate and the owner charged at rate for excess checked bags. If they don't pay, then the bag doesn't fly.
Well-deserved but impractical.

Best workaround would be not to impose the charge at the gate, but to add a special tag which sends the bag to the baggage office on arrival. One then goes and stands in line to retrieve the bag, pays the bag fee, a penalty fee, and no waivers for "elites".

The bottom line here is that a cheap cloth measuring tape costs less than $1. The crowd lugging steamer trunks on know full well what they are doing.
GrumpyYoungMan and nancypants like this.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 10:45 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
It isn’t hard to comply. Tuesday I had a few hours to kill in PHL and I found an empty gate and sizer and rolled my bag in to see how close it was to the lines and it was actually shy of both white lines and easily cleared the bar. I believe the sizer allows for a little extra. I worry more about the personal item when flying Oasis in F.
Often1 likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Often1
Well-deserved but impractical.

Best workaround would be not to impose the charge at the gate, but to add a special tag which sends the bag to the baggage office on arrival. One then goes and stands in line to retrieve the bag, pays the bag fee, a penalty fee, and no waivers for "elites".

The bottom line here is that a cheap cloth measuring tape costs less than $1. The crowd lugging steamer trunks on know full well what they are doing.
Brilliant strategy that wont work. Youd fit right in with Doug Parker and Smisek cluelessly wondering why your metrics arent working and profits and tanking.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 11:18 pm

Programs: AS 75K
At the security checkpoint would be the most practical place to regulate size. One thing we can count on the TSA is to be REALLY anal about rules.

Like so many things in society, a tiny amount of enforcement would have amazing effects. People getting turned back a couple times and missing their flights and I'd bet they'd find a way to bring a complaint carry-on next time. As for the # of items? It would be tough for TSA to help with that one in any efficient manner.

This whole situation is a microcosm of the USA these days. Bend the rules a little, then a little more, then a little more..... then everyone absolutely comes unhinged when the initial rule is enforced (and usually claims some racism, sexism or other convenient complaint).... or, even threatened that it might be enforced.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 6:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Antarius
Brilliant strategy that wont work. Youd fit right in with Doug Parker and Smisek cluelessly wondering why your metrics arent working and profits and tanking.
Yes. All of the other passengers who are now able to bring onboard "legal" bags because the scammer can't make for a lot of happy passengers.

Customer service strategies which favor scammers only lead to more scammers.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 7:25 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

On an LAX-AUS yesterday the FAs started talking about this. Key points to them was that a duty free bag even a bag of food would be considered a personal item, and FAA requested they start enforcement. This sounds like it’s going to be a mess. I know in some flights it seems over half of folks bring a bag of food and wouldn’t be happy if that counted as a personal item.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by aschuett
. I know in some flights it seems over half of folks bring a bag of food and wouldn’t be happy if that counted as a personal item.
That’s great. Let them eat that smelly greasy food out in the concourse rather than stink up a tin tube with 150 people in it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.