Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Increasing Carry On Bag Enforcement, Audits (Oct 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Increasing Carry On Bag Enforcement, Audits (Oct 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2019, 10:17 am

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by enpremiere
No more grand pianos and entire safari tent kits complete with real elephants being sneaked in via duty free

Good bye cruel over-sized baggage!
There are plenty of infrequent, inexperienced passengers who are the ones we most associate with the kitchen sink syndrome however, as someone who has been on the road for 30 years, I’m also surprised at my fellow business travelers who travel what I consider to be baggage heavy.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 10:22 am

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by AA100k
There are plenty of infrequent, inexperienced passengers who are the ones we most associate with the kitchen sink syndrome however, as someone who has been on the road for 30 years, I’m also surprised at my fellow business travelers who travel what I consider to be baggage heavy.
Emotionally or physically?
renila and Antarius like this.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by chris8796
At CLT today, the GA made specific mention to carry on allowance (much more than I've seen previously) and said overstuffed carry ones would be checked with the sizer and checked. The most egregious violator opted to self check before trying to checking in . A few borderline cases were asked to try the sizer or combine bags to get to two. The gate next to it had no enforcement and I noticed someone with an oversized bag go through. So as anticipated, this will be a GA dependent enforcement.
This is the other failing of the increased enforcement (other than inconsistent enforcement and randomly focusing on minor irrelevant violations). There is no consequence for egregious rule violations other than having the bag checked.

If you have to check for having more pieces than allowed or a huge bag, AA should charge for it.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by enpremiere
Emotionally or physically?
Both, I’ve seen plenty of drama as well.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 6:10 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List Preferred, Delta Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Avis PP
Didn't notice anything announcement-wise in the gate area for my two flights from MCI and DFW today. Was expecting to hear some more noticeable announcements on the enforcement but there wasn't anything out of the ordinary.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Antarius
There is no consequence for egregious rule violations other than having the bag checked.
This is key. There is no penalty, so even if your bag is disallowed, you'll be forced to check it and be in the same situation you would have been if you had checked it originally. Maybe a $25 gate check fee for all bags rejected after trying the sizer would discourage this behavior.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 6:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: SkyMiles, Global Entry, Non-Rev
Originally Posted by lovefly88
Jfk today, the bag check woman prior to entry to TSA check point was incredibly rude and demanding. We’re on CX but passengers in front of us she checked their bags and said as it could not easily go into sizer it needed to be repacked. They were able to force it but she was on a total power trip and put her arms up to block them. Non AA employee.
Next time just bulldoze through her as that impedes your freedom to travel. I hate those contracted employees with a passion and am glad Delta doesn’t pull the same shenanigans.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 6:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
And not delaying the boarding process. Tag the bag to the destination baggage office and have the bag fee + penalty (no waivers for class of service, status, or credit card) collected at the destination.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 6:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVPG, FB Gold
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Separately, I've always wondered why, given the increased possibility of denting, people spend that kind of money for a hard-sided Rimowa.
At least I bought it in Prague, at a price closer to what you would pay in Germany, but I never intended that I would check it (for the exact reasons you cite) -- until this jaunt on AA with their "enhanced" enforcement of FAA regs.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 7:09 pm

Programs: Some more than others
For the first time in many, many years my bag got sized at LAX T4 last Sunday at the escalator to go up to PreCheck and Clear security. They had two G2 staff, one checking boarding passes, the other bags. Mine passed easily so I was on my way, just out of the ordinary. Nothing different at the gate or on the two AA flights Ive taken since then.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Was your carry on bag compliant or was it correctly being refused?
I had a very compliant (international-sized) rollaboard and a soft-sided garment bag. I had never before been stopped from bringing a garment bag on board with me, even in addition to a carryon and a large-ish tote bag as my personal item.

But on these trips, the garment bag was enforced as a second carryon, which of course I wasn't about to gate check. (Per current aa.com data re: carryons, the garment bag was correctly classed as such.)

So my Rimowa became the sacrificial lamb.

I will add that even the preliminary screeners before the TSA and pre-check weren't willing to let me pass when I first attempted to. I backed off and bypassed them by going through Flagship First, where I was very graciously permitted passage -- but I still had to gate check the "extra" carryon.

I won't even mention the cost of my flights, in cash plus J-to-F upgrade instruments, but this really seemed like nit-picking in extreme, to me.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
No enforcement at all in PHX today at the gate I left from or the one next to it. It was much appreciated as my bag today was borderline whether it’d be accepted!
Old Nov 3, 2019, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rdrnnr
I won't even mention the cost of my flights, in cash plus J-to-F upgrade instruments, but this really seemed like nit-picking in extreme, to me.
Not allowing you to board with a roll-aboard, garment bag, AND large tote is “extreme nit-picking”?!?
renila and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by Segments
OP indicates traveling with both a carry on Rimowa and a garment bag. Neither being small enough to qualify as a personal item. So two carry on items exceeding limit of one.
This -- alas -- is accurate, and correct. But I've been flying with a garment bag for years and never had it treated even as a "personal item," indeed often boarding with carryon + pers item + garment bag.

New sheriff in town, it would appear.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Not allowing you to board with a roll-aboard, garment bag, AND large tote is “extreme nit-picking”?!?
Only rollaboard and garment bag. No pers item on these flights.

And I'm really only complaining -- whether you see fit to believe me or not -- that all this was entirely unexpected and a change of protocol from what I've been used to for years. Or I'd have planned my packing accordingly.
AeRoSpaceman likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.