Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Increasing Carry On Bag Enforcement, Audits (Oct 2019)

AA Increasing Carry On Bag Enforcement, Audits (Oct 2019)

Old Oct 27, 2019, 6:08 am

Programs: Once a somebody now a nobody
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
AWAY says the same thing on its website. It’s measurements for the Bigger Carryon are also one inch too large. 22.7” x 14.7” x 9.6. It’s a very common bag. I imagine many people are going to be one inch too big now if they get really specific about these checks.
I bought the Away large carry on two months ago and have used it 8 times on AA. It's a great bag and fits in the overhead with room to spare. But I'm considering taking it back and getting the smaller one, that is exactly 22x14x9 just because I don't want the hassle. I'd rather conform than have to wait an extra 30 minutes at the baggage claim. When I measure the bag I get about a 1/4 inch less than each of the Away official dimensions so I might chance it on my next trip in a few weeks just to see how it goes.

My hope is that AA increases the allowed carry on size. SW has 24x16x10 so unless they are using some supersized overhead bins, I don't see why AA can't increase theirs to 23x15x10. That way 95% of the bags people have been using for the last decade can still be used and be compliant. I can't imagine that the extra inch would reduce the amount of carryons that could be accommodated. And even if it meant 6 or 8 extra had to be checked due to space constraints...it's the economy basic people who would most likely feel the brunt of that. But I highly doubt they will increase the allowed baggage size and no doubt will in turn use this as a way to extract more revenue from customers.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 7:30 am

Programs: AA, Amex
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
AWAY says the same thing on its website. It’s measurements for the Bigger Carryon are also one inch too large. 22.7” x 14.7” x 9.6. It’s a very common bag. I imagine many people are going to be one inch too big now if they get really specific about these checks.
Just seems so odd to me, for multiple companies that sell quite a volume of these things, to be making statements in print that would appear to be provably false. Seems like it'd be an easy target for false advertising litigation.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 8:13 am

Jfk today, the bag check woman prior to entry to TSA check point was incredibly rude and demanding. We’re on CX but passengers in front of us she checked their bags and said as it could not easily go into sizer it needed to be repacked. They were able to force it but she was on a total power trip and put her arms up to block them. Non AA employee.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
That comment sounds like it would have been a response to a whinge by the passenger rather than something that would have been part of informing passenger that the bag was too large in the 1st instance
Probably. But that doesn't change the fact it's an absolutely awful thing to say to a passenger.

Last edited by cmtlatitudes; Oct 27, 2019 at 11:52 am
Old Oct 27, 2019, 11:46 am

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by chicago747
I bought the Away large carry on two months ago and have used it 8 times on AA. It's a great bag and fits in the overhead with room to spare. But I'm considering taking it back and getting the smaller one, that is exactly 22x14x9 just because I don't want the hassle. I'd rather conform than have to wait an extra 30 minutes at the baggage claim. When I measure the bag I get about a 1/4 inch less than each of the Away official dimensions so I might chance it on my next trip in a few weeks just to see how it goes.
I wrote to Away in anticipation of purchasing their Bigger Carry On and asked about the obvious discrepancies. They wrote back and said that “at the time of their testing” it fit but that AA may have reduced the measurements since then.

I can’t say that I was surprised that they were making false claims about their luggage. I’d return the bag if I were you.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 1:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes
Probably. But that doesn't change the fact it's an absolutely awful thing to say to a passenger.
Without knowing what had come before it to lead to such a comment, it is hard to say I think. If it is going to be enforced going forward, then it is an accurate thing to say rather than awful
Old Oct 27, 2019, 2:08 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

7 flights last week (including 3 different hubs) and 2 flights today. Zero enforcement on carry-on items, including blatant violations, unfortunately.
andrewstahl likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Without knowing what had come before it to lead to such a comment, it is hard to say I think. If it is going to be enforced going forward, then it is an accurate thing to say rather than awful
Dave, I'll give you that. If GA's believe this will be the "new normal", there's something to be said for hearing their straight up opinions it isn't going to get better, instead of platitudes or apologies. Said professionally of course.

Right now it's hard to say if that's the case or just the short term flavor of the moment.

Looking through old threads last weekend it appears AA / the FAA rolls out warnings / enforcement upticks on this every couple years. One thing I found interesting from the old thread is that it looks like the last time there was a big enforcement uptick, circa 2015-2016, sometime around then or just following is when the detailed list of items not counting as carry-ons (food, duty-free purchases, coats, etc.) seems to have disappeared from AA's website.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 2:52 pm
BLG

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA Lifetime Blue, Marriott Gold, and many others
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
Zero enforcement on carry-on items, including blatant violations, unfortunately.
Yep
Old Oct 27, 2019, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
7 flights last week (including 3 different hubs) and 2 flights today. Zero enforcement on carry-on items, including blatant violations, unfortunately.
As expected. It will be inconsistent, causing unhappiness and solving no problems overall.
BLG likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 5:14 pm

Programs: Once a somebody now a nobody
Originally Posted by Antarius
As expected. It will be inconsistent, causing unhappiness and solving no problems overall.
That's my issue. Be consistent. Don't stop someone for a newspaper then a couple days later let someone bring three bags on...two of which don't fit.

I want to know what the rules are and have them be the same every time. And if you have a rule, don't not enforce it for 15 years...then start to enforce it. That's not a rule...that's a new rule. If you want a new rule..fine...but email people before they get to the airport. Let them know there's a new sheriff in town. Don't make me argue with a GA that the carry-on I've used for a year or ten isn't complaint. Say the new (or existing) size is going to be enforced...no matter the previous interactions. If they can email five times a day about buying their shi$$y miles they can email about things that actually affect my flying experience.
jAAck, ikwia, BLG and 2 others like this.

Last edited by chicago747; Oct 27, 2019 at 5:24 pm
Old Oct 27, 2019, 5:37 pm

Programs: AA(PPro), UA, AGR, BW(Plat), HH, WoH, MB(S)
deja vou?

AA Carry-On Limits (begin strict enforcement 28 Aug 2015)

8/28/2015

Gate Agents and other ground personnel have been directed to strictly enforce current carry on restrictions at all stations. Part of the intent is to reduce the large amount of gate checking of carry ons.

All facets of hand carried baggage policy are to be enforced: dimensions, number of items (one piece of carry on baggage, one personal item), for all classes of service and for all passengers (regardless of elite level).
jerseytom likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
No matter what the rules are (internal
or external), FAs boarding with four bags+including (or often not) a cooler is part of the problem. No matter what they need it for (business travelers have the same urgent needs with no room for error with checked bags by the way), the confusion to pax continues this argument.
Spiff likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Amb Elite & LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Interesting, so LIH to LAX, no food service in F, but if you bring some food on it could be considered carry on. Does AA think that by omitting this information on carry-on bags on the website that no one will remember reading it?

If you are going to change this, then state that 'small bags of food will be considered a carry on item'. Is that so hard? Are we supposed to know that they changed the policy when they don't notify anyone of the change?

Back when TSA initially banned liquids from flights, it was clear and simple, no liquids. If you have liquids you have to check your bag.

AA's policy is vague and has been changed with no documentation of the change to the general public.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 7:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Originally Posted by deac83
Interesting, so LIH to LAX, no food service in F, but if you bring some food on it could be considered carry on
I know OT, but EF shows food in J on this route, fwiw.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.