Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Increasing Carry On Bag Enforcement, Audits (Oct 2019)

AA Increasing Carry On Bag Enforcement, Audits (Oct 2019)

Old Oct 23, 19, 3:12 pm
  #151  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Frisco, TX
Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Posts: 20,254
Zero enforcement at A8 phx now.
Spiff likes this.
enviroian is online now  
Old Oct 23, 19, 3:15 pm
  #152  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL GM, Marriott LTP
Posts: 561
Originally Posted by BobbySteel View Post
Well this guarantees my travel won't be on aa rest of this year. Hit status so absolutely the perfect time to experiment with other carriers! Nice work aa.
Really, over carry on size enforcement? Later bro

Last edited by Navig8R; Oct 23, 19 at 3:21 pm
Navig8R is offline  
Old Oct 23, 19, 3:39 pm
  #153  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 496
Originally Posted by deeruck View Post
Here's the AA version, along with a non-compliant carry-on.

Hey, don't ban that kid....he can carry a bag.
AA100k likes this.
cmtlatitudes is offline  
Old Oct 23, 19, 3:47 pm
  #154  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: SAN
Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 834
Originally Posted by genotonda View Post
There are sizers that show both carry-on dimensions (white lines) and personal size dimensions (yellow lines). Saw one at the D31 ticket counter at DFW, last night. Come to think of it, not sure I've ever seen one of those for AA. Only Spirit.
I’m closing in on 1 million miles with AA (and the former USAir) and I’ve never seen an AA sizer with personal item dimensions. The AA personal item dimensions (8” x 14” x 18”) are very generous and I travel with a Tumi bag of exactly those dimensions and I have never been challenged.
AA100k is offline  
Old Oct 23, 19, 4:09 pm
  #155  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: MSP/DFW
Programs: Priority Club PLT, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP
Posts: 479
Originally Posted by AA100k View Post
I’m closing in on 1 million miles with AA (and the former USAir) and I’ve never seen an AA sizer with personal item dimensions. The AA personal item dimensions (8” x 14” x 18”) are very generous and I travel with a Tumi bag of exactly those dimensions and I have never been challenged.
Not sure if this was just a general comment about you having never seen one in your travels, or if you are doubting their existence. If it happens to be the latter, see post #150.
genotonda is offline  
Old Oct 23, 19, 4:10 pm
  #156  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,005
Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
Maybe they should put a horizontal metal headpiece that slides down, like on a stadiometer at the doctor's office so there can be no discrepancy
I don't want to give AA any ideas, but back in the '90s United put a metal barrier in front of the x-ray machine. Any non-compliant bag simply would not fit into the scanner. This was before TSA, of course, when security checkpoints were still locally run. That was the last straw that led my family to switch from UA to AA and I was loyal to AA for 15+ years. Now I'm a free agent and if AA wants to gate-check my newspaper they will lose the slice of my business that they still have. I've got to say though, I haven't seen any enforcement this month that rises above average.
_kurt is offline  
Old Oct 23, 19, 4:26 pm
  #157  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: SAN
Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 834
Originally Posted by genotonda View Post
Not sure if this was just a general comment about you having never seen one in your travels, or if you are doubting their existence. If it happens to be the latter, see post #150.
As I wrote, I never seen an AA sizer with personal item dimensions, not that I’ve never seen an AA sizer. The one in post #150 shows dimensions for carry-on bag, not personal item.
AA100k is offline  
Old Oct 23, 19, 4:45 pm
  #158  
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Here and there
Programs: AA EXP, Best Buy Elite, Starbucks Gold, Sweetgreen Green
Posts: 1,483
Originally Posted by AA100k View Post
As I wrote, I never seen an AA sizer with personal item dimensions, not that I’ve never seen an AA sizer. The one in post #150 shows dimensions for carry-on bag, not personal item.
The yellow lines are for the personal item.
TWA884 likes this.
deeruck is offline  
Old Oct 23, 19, 4:45 pm
  #159  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 3,049
Originally Posted by AA100k View Post
As I wrote, I never seen an AA sizer with personal item dimensions, not that I’ve never seen an AA sizer. The one in post #150 shows dimensions for carry-on bag, not personal item.
It shows both actually, note the two sets of lines, one white the other yellow...
TWA884 likes this.
Mark_T is offline  
Old Oct 23, 19, 5:16 pm
  #160  
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: CLT
Programs: AA, NH, Amex
Posts: 209
A related thought - I wonder what the actual dimensions of the sizer are. It's certainly conceivable that there's built-in tolerance.

To my earlier post, TravelPro openly advertises that the outer dimensions of many of their "carry-on" products exceeds what would be allowable on American, Delta, and United. Yet they also claim that their bags are "sizer tested" and approved for "most" airlines. So clearly something doesn't add up.

My next flight isn't for another month yet, but I'd be curious if my illegal bag actually fits the thing without issue.
jerseytom is offline  
Old Oct 23, 19, 5:31 pm
  #161  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 41,242
Originally Posted by jerseytom View Post
A related thought - I wonder what the actual dimensions of the sizer are. It's certainly conceivable that there's built-in tolerance.

To my earlier post, TravelPro openly advertises that the outer dimensions of many of their "carry-on" products exceeds what would be allowable on American, Delta, and United. Yet they also claim that their bags are "sizer tested" and approved for "most" airlines. So clearly something doesn't add up.

My next flight isn't for another month yet, but I'd be curious if my illegal bag actually fits the thing without issue.
To be fair, AA,UA and DL are only 3 airlines and there are a lot of other airlines in the world.
IAHtraveler likes this.
Dave Noble is offline  
Old Oct 23, 19, 5:38 pm
  #162  
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: CLT
Programs: AA, NH, Amex
Posts: 209
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
To be fair, AA,UA and DL are only 3 airlines and there are a lot of other airlines in the world.
To be more specific, using this product page as an example, they go so far to specify...

"The Maxlite® 5 Expandable Carry-On Hardside Spinner is designed to meet carry-on size restrictions for most domestic airlines while maximizing how much you can pack inside with its convenient 2” expansion option."

"This Carry-On bag has been sizer bin tested to accommodate overhead bin space on most major US airlines."

And yet, overall dimensions listed: H: 23in W: 14.75in D: 9in

AA / UA / DL all state 22 x 14 x 9 max. Like how could someone say, "We tested this on most of the major US airlines... just not United, Delta, or American"

Last edited by jerseytom; Oct 23, 19 at 5:44 pm
jerseytom is offline  
Old Oct 23, 19, 5:44 pm
  #163  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: PHL
Programs: AA - Platinum, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Executive, NEXUS
Posts: 1,062
Originally Posted by ikwia View Post
I could have sworn that AA used to list items that were allowed and did NOT count against your carry-on allowance...I thought the list included reading material, a jacket, food to consume on-board, umbrella, and maybe some other items. Am I misremembering, or have these exclusions be removed?
Courtesy of Wayback Machine:

Additional allowed items
You can also bring:

Outerwear such as coats, wraps and hats

A book or newspaper

A small bag of food to eat on the flight

An approved safety seat for a lap or ticketed child

A pillow or blanket

An umbrella stroller for a lap or ticketed child

A diaper bag for a lap or ticketed child

Duty free items

Assistive devices (e.g. wheelchairs, walkers, portable oxygen concentrators, CPAP machines etc.)

Breast pump

https://web.archive.org/web/20160211...on-baggage.jsp
_kurt likes this.
pa3lsvt is offline  
Old Oct 23, 19, 5:46 pm
  #164  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 41,242
Originally Posted by jerseytom View Post
To be more specific, using this product page as an example, they go so far to specify...

"The Maxlite® 5 Expandable Carry-On Hardside Spinner is designed to meet carry-on size restrictions for most domestic airlines while maximizing how much you can pack inside with its convenient 2” expansion option."

"This Carry-On bag has been sizer bin tested to accommodate overhead bin space on most major US airlines."

And yet, overall dimensions listed: H: 23in W: 14.75in D: 9in

AA / UA / DL all state 22 x 14 x 9 max. Like how could someone say, "We tested this on most of the major US airlines... just not United, Delta, or American"
Given the size limitations of those US domestic airlines, sounds like it wasn't very well designed then
Dave Noble is offline  
Old Oct 23, 19, 5:55 pm
  #165  
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: CLT
Programs: AA, NH, Amex
Posts: 209
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
Given the size limitations of those US domestic airlines, sounds like it wasn't very well designed then
And yet their verbiage is very specific. It doesn't say "outer dimensions comply with most major airline published requirements." It says that it passes the sizer (which I suppose is all that matters as far as a GA go/no-go gauge)

Not an unreasonable hypothesis that the sizer has some built in tolerance. Will be a mildly interesting experiment here next month.
jerseytom is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: