Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

MCO-MIA then MIA- LHR questions - complicated

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2019, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GOLD

I have a number of questions about this route with regard to the journey - please bear with me whilst I explain.

One World Sapphire holder (BA) plus one other passenger with no status (visually impaired)

MCO-MIA booked as Basic Economy - OWS member gets a free bag as BAEC member?
MCO-MIA AC access plus guest?

On arrival at MIA we collect bag as booked on separate PNR's for travel to London and recheck in for BA 206 (AA 6159) to Heathrow for the passenger without status - OWS member travelling MIA-MCO later in the evening in MCE. Does BAEC member have access to AC or FL plus guest?

Can the OWS member go to the depature gate in Terminal E gates (on the shuttle) to accompany the visually impaired passenger to the international departure gate and then just return via the same route?

Special assistance has been booked for the visually impaired passenger but may not be needed at MIA sector.

Hope that is fairly clear - explained as best I can.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 6:39 pm

Yes, you’ll get a free checked bag on MCO-MIA and you (assuming you’re the OWS) and a guest will have access to the Admirals Club in MCO.

Once In MIA, you (and a guest) will have access to the flagship lounge. (and Admirals Club, if you so desire)

There are no “international gates”, that is to say, an international departure can be from any gate. The North Terminal is connected, so you can just walk from concourse E to D and vice versa. You can go through security at D or E, regardless of which one your flight is departing from, as well.

I’m not 100% sure if you need a boarding pass for the shuttle to High-E, I don’t believe so, but someone with more knowledge can chime in. Not relevant, the new MIA e train has been up and running since 2016.
Brighterside likes this.

Last edited by Djokison; Oct 17, 2019 at 2:49 am
Old Oct 16, 2019, 7:24 pm

From what I understand from the original post, the BA Silver card holder is flying Orlando-Miami and back, the non status passenger is continuing on to London.

Assuming this is the case, then the Silver card holder and the guest will have access to the Admirals Club in both Orlando and Miami, including the flagship side at the D30 Club in Miami. In Miami you would also have access to the Premium Lounge in the E concourse (take the elevators up right after the security checkpoint in the E concourse) but they were doing some remodeling last time I was there, so best check to see if they are open before making your way there.

You will be free to access any of the D or E gates. There is a tram to get to the "high" E gates (E20-33), this is on level 4 if you take the elevators from the E Premium Lounge. It is a 8 minute walk from the D gates to the E gates. I have taken the BA flights from both the high and low E gates.

Your luggage may vary. You may get a kind agent in Orlando who will check it all the way through so you may or may not need to recheck. If you booked special assistance, that may also work in your favor (I have never done this, so I don't know first hand). If they will not check luggage all the way through, you will need to claim the luggage at arrival, which means you will leave the secure area in the D concourse go downstairs, get the bag, then make your way to the E concourse upstairs to re-check with BA. Should be no problem to both go back through security at either the D or E gates, assuming a same day boarding pass (one MIA-LHR, the other MIA-MCO). If you do clear security at the E gates, then by all means try the E Premium Lounge since the elevators to the lounge are right after the escalators. Apparently the E lounge is closed for remodel and may take some time to reopen.

Hope this helps,
Brighterside likes this.

Last edited by MIAFlyer; Oct 17, 2019 at 6:10 am Reason: finished my sentence with BA flights, and E lounge info
Old Oct 16, 2019, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies - it makes things a lot clearer. Having passed through the E Premium Lounge on more than a few occasions will go to the AC/FL. Will see what happens with luggage and through check but will assume we have to pick up at MIA.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 5:43 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
The Premium Lounge in E remains closed and from what staff told me will be closed for quite awhile. FL is a much better experience anyway.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 6:06 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
yeah E lounge is undergoing renovations.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

Just an update - everything went like clockwork.

Got the free bag, lounge access at MCO and MIA, staff at both airports very helpful and friendly for non status passenger.

Thank you everyone for your help - it was much appreciated.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 5:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Originally Posted by Brighterside
Just an update - everything went like clockwork.

Got the free bag, lounge access at MCO and MIA, staff at both airports very helpful and friendly for non status passenger.

Thank you everyone for your help - it was much appreciated.
The best kind of FT thread! Someone comes and asks a question, receives useful advice and information, and then reports on the outcome for others to use for reference in the future.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 7:40 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Great to hear! Were you able to through-check the bag or did you have to get it in MIA? Just curious since AA has been firm in the prohibiting of through-checking of bags on separate reservations.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tylerdurden4543
The best kind of FT thread! Someone comes and asks a question, receives useful advice and information, and then reports on the outcome for others to use for reference in the future.
Thank you Tyler - I did appreciate all the comments provided and it really made the trip through MIA so much easier and hopefully as you say it may help someone else in future.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.