Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Significant Flight Time Change - Options?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2019, 9:33 am
Original Poster

My wife and I are infrequent flyers and selected AA for YYZ-MIA return leaving January 7th as flight times were much more attractive than Air Canada - our usual airline. We had 13:00 outbound and 13:45 inbound. Just got notification this morning that our outbound flight was now 06:00 with a minor change inbound. We had planned a leisurely morning to relax and get to the airport and now are faced with being up well before the roosters.
In checking other AA flights the only later ones they have will be milk runs. Wondering if we have any recourse to simply cancel the flights entirely or will we just need to put up with their changes? I believe our booking class was "N" - regular economy with MCE.
Appreciate any advice.

Thanks,
Rob
Old Oct 15, 2019, 9:41 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
With a schedule change of that magnitude you should be able to call in and rebook or refund with no penalty.
JDiver likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by charlyholly1
My wife and I are infrequent flyers and selected AA for YYZ-MIA return leaving January 7th as flight times were much more attractive than Air Canada - our usual airline. We had 13:00 outbound and 13:45 inbound. Just got notification this morning that our outbound flight was now 06:00 with a minor change inbound. We had planned a leisurely morning to relax and get to the airport and now are faced with being up well before the roosters.
In checking other AA flights the only later ones they have will be milk runs. Wondering if we have any recourse to simply cancel the flights entirely or will we just need to put up with their changes? I believe our booking class was "N" - regular economy with MCE.
Appreciate any advice.

Thanks,
Rob
You can definitely cancel everything for a full refund if that works best. Otherwise, see if there are any other options that are suitable, then call AA and ask specifically for those.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Thank you both for the quick responses and advice. I'll check other options prior to contacting AA.

Thanks again!

Rob
Old Oct 15, 2019, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
They dropped the flight, not changed its time. It looks like it was AA2676 and you have been rebooked on the daily morning flight AA2589 (which TBH is not that bad if you have NEXUS). AA2676 ends on December 17th. Going from 3 flights a day YYZ/MIA to two, the other being 5:46 p.m. Then the last flight back to Toronto is at 8:30 and stays overnight for the next 6 a.m. flight.

You could change to arrive in Miami at 9:30 p.m. Or get a refund and fly AC.

You are lucky to get AA2569 back on or after January 16th otherwise there is only the 8:30 p.m. flight back daily after the 7th with AA2569 resuming on the 16th.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 7:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There are numerous AA conenctions available. Before changing to one of those, check the price. If the new connections are cheaper, have the original ticket refunded and then purchase new tickets. At least you will save some money.

AC has multiple non-stops with fares running $150-175. Not sure I would stick with an AA connection with that option.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A "milk run" used to be used to designate flights that made a number of stops along a path. The legacies don't really make such flights any more. Between LGA, PHL, DCA, and CLT hubs, I'd think you ought to be able to find something with a reasonable departure time and single connection that arrives before the evening non-stop flight from YYZ.
MSPeconomist and SK like this.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the additional information. After checking other AA options, I'm inclined to simply cancel and go to an AC direct non-stop flight. Really no interest in making any connections - particularly in winter weather with the chance to run into bad weather or lost bags as we're flying down a day before embarking on a cruise. It'll cost about $400 more for the AC flight at this point but better than reporting to the airport at 4:00am in the long run.

Thanks again!

Rob
Old Oct 15, 2019, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by charlyholly1
Thanks to all for the additional information. After checking other AA options, I'm inclined to simply cancel and go to an AC direct non-stop flight. Really no interest in making any connections - particularly in winter weather with the chance to run into bad weather or lost bags as we're flying down a day before embarking on a cruise. It'll cost about $400 more for the AC flight at this point but better than reporting to the airport at 4:00am in the long run.

Thanks again!

Rob
Have you looked at the cost to keep the AA return, and fly AC outbound?
Old Oct 17, 2019, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Yes - I looked at all the available options and ended up booking AC YYZ-MIA and FLL-YYZ which actually ended up with better times and less money in the long run. Appreciate your help though!

Cheers,
Rob

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.