Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Qantas and American Announce Expanded JBA Benefits Oct 2019

Old Oct 9, 19, 6:00 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

Access to More Frequent Flyer Benefits, Destinations for American and Qantas Customers
American Airlines Newsroom - link
Wednesday, October 09, 2019, 4:30 PM

FORT WORTH, Texas and SYDNEY — American Airlines and Qantas will roll out improved frequent flyer benefits, including higher earning rates for points and status credits on each airline’s network. The partnership also includes enhanced connectivity with new codeshare destinations in the United States.

American customers will enjoy five additional codeshare markets with Qantas, and Qantas customers will benefit from enhanced connectivity across North America with access to more than 50 new routes and 30 new destinations.

This expansion is being implemented following the U.S. Department of Transportation’s final approval of Qantas and American’s joint business.

“Our customers are captivated by the natural beauty and cultural richness Australia and New Zealand offer, so we’re excited to bring them even more frequent flyer benefits and expanded codeshare opportunities for their adventures,” said Bridget Blaise-Shamai, President of the AAdvantage program and Vice President of Customer Loyalty and Insights for American.

More benefits for frequent flyers
AAdvantage members can now earn miles and elite status faster than ever on eligible flights between the United States and Australia or New Zealand thanks to an increase in mileage accrual. Members may earn up to two times more elite qualifying miles (EQMs) and elite qualifying dollars (EQDs) for most cabin classes on all eligible Qantas flights systemwide. (E.g. now 3.0 EQM / mile for full F, J - link)

For more information about accruals, visit the Qantas partner page on aa.com.

Qantas Frequent Flyer members can now earn more Qantas Points and Status Credits on American flights. To learn more about Qantas Frequent Flyer earn rates, visit qantas.com.

Improved connectivity with new codeshare destinations
American also recently expanded its codeshare on new routes operated by Qantas, for a new total of 32 codeshare markets.

New flights operated by Qantas with expanded American codeshare:
  • Los Angeles (LAX) to Sydney (SYD)
  • Dallas-Fort Worth (DFW) to SYD
  • San Francisco (SFO) to Melbourne, Australia (MEL)
  • SFO to Brisbane, Australia (BNE)
  • Chicago (ORD) to BNE
Qantas has expanded its codeshare with American, adding more than 50 new codeshare city pairs from DFW and ORD. This expansion adds 28 new codeshare destinations to the Qantas network in the United States.

(more)
Attached Images   
ronp101 likes this.

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 9, 19 at 6:18 pm
Old Oct 10, 19, 7:13 am

Programs: AA ExePlat
The EQD are atrocious.
bostontraveler likes this.
Old Oct 10, 19, 8:32 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jsieds View Post
The EQD are atrocious.
It would be rare indeed to gain advantage on QF marketed flights vs. AA when trying to maximize EQD for sure. More often than not, one would loose on that metric, regardless of class flown and fare basis.
Old Oct 10, 19, 10:19 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
The EQD are atrocious.
Seriously? The non-economy earning on for US flights are better than most other partner earning. The non-US earning is in line with other partners and is better than some.
GTITAN likes this.
Old Oct 10, 19, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The EQD are atrocious.
Are they?
Even at the deep-discount economy, earning 5%, for something like LAX-SYD, you're earning 7,500 * 2 * 0.05 = 750 EQDs. The lowest fares I see on a QF n/s are ~$950, which probably doesn't get you all that much more than 750 EQDs after backing out taxes.

I haven't actually compared published fares by class to the earnings table, but, like with most partners, you may or may not be better off buying on the AA codeshare depending on the fare class and the actual price you're paying. On the face of it, I'm not sure exactly where I see EQD earnings to be "atrocious."

And BTW, I believe EQDs are typically (always?) 20% of RDMs, and that's no different here. Even on AA when $1 = 1 EQM = 5 RDMs (before any elite bonuses).
Old Oct 10, 19, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA ExePlat
I misunderstood that EQD was a percentage of dollars spent (ticket price) not as the percentage of miles flown. That is a big difference.
ijgordon and GTITAN like this.
Old Oct 10, 19, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I misunderstood that EQD was a percentage of dollars spent (ticket price) not as the percentage of miles flown. That is a big difference.
Ah yes, certainly. The whole point of doing it as a % of miles flown is because AA doesn't generally have access to the ticket price if the segment is marketed by another carrier.
Old Oct 10, 19, 5:23 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Read the charts from aa.com attached to the first post. “EQDs per mile flown” is the key for flying the Qantas marketed flights. On AA marketed flights, it’s nearly as you say: EQD are based on fare and carrier imposed fees.
GTITAN likes this.
Old Oct 21, 19, 9:17 am

Programs: AA - EXP
UPDATE: Just got a response from AAdvantage. Seems something is wrong in their backend and this new chart isn't posting correctly. They're not sure if this is just for fares booked prior to 10/1 or not. Worth a close check of any new fares that are subject to the new calculations.

Anyone else getting a similar issue of these new changes not actually taking effect? See the below screencaps for recent flights btwn Australia and New Zealand still posting as EQD earning rates (S fare code should have bumped from 5% to 10%). These fares were booked before Oct 1st but all flown after.

I've reached out to AAdvantage customer service regarding this. I will keep you posted!

Last edited by mosfet; Oct 21, 19 at 9:58 am
Old Oct 21, 19, 10:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mosfet View Post
UPDATE: Just got a response from AAdvantage. Seems something is wrong in their backend and this new chart isn't posting correctly. They're not sure if this is just for fares booked prior to 10/1 or not. Worth a close check of any new fares that are subject to the new calculations.

Anyone else getting a similar issue of these new changes not actually taking effect? See the below screencaps for recent flights btwn Australia and New Zealand still posting as EQD earning rates (S fare code should have bumped from 5% to 10%). These fares were booked before Oct 1st but all flown after.

I've reached out to AAdvantage customer service regarding this. I will keep you posted!
Your quoted flight is between Australia and New Zealand, thus applicable for the new earnings based on [OTHER FLIGHT] part, not [FLIGHT BETWEEN AUSTRALIA or NEW ZEALAND AND USA] part.

So S class earns 5% not 10%.
Old Oct 21, 19, 3:05 pm

Programs: AA - EXP
Originally Posted by chongcao View Post
Your quoted flight is between Australia and New Zealand, thus applicable for the new earnings based on [OTHER FLIGHT] part, not [FLIGHT BETWEEN AUSTRALIA or NEW ZEALAND AND USA] part.

So S class earns 5% not 10%.
Argh, so this only earns 5% not 10%?

I don't understand why they even mention New Zealand in this wording as Qantas doesn't fly New Zealand and USA? What flight that originates in New Zealand is applicable for this updated earning table?

Last edited by mosfet; Oct 21, 19 at 6:29 pm Reason: more information
Old Oct 22, 19, 9:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mosfet View Post
Argh, so this only earns 5% not 10%?

I don't understand why they even mention New Zealand in this wording as Qantas doesn't fly New Zealand and USA? What flight that originates in New Zealand is applicable for this updated earning table?
That is because AA had a seasonal LAX AKL route. It is believed that AA may go back to the seasonal route as the Jv is sealed. It is just the wording required by JV as the JV permits AA and QF cooperate on market between AUNZ and USA excluding Hawaii.
Old Oct 22, 19, 9:32 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Planning on flying QF from NAN-SYD-HKG next summer and in "I" and looking forward to the 2x EQM and 25% EQD accrual. Nice that QF now earns like BA/AY/IB.

Safe Travels
Old Oct 22, 19, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
so you only get 100% EQM for buying super expensive Y and B fares? LOL
Old Oct 22, 19, 9:42 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
so you only get 100% EQM for buying super expensive Y and B fares? LOL
??

Search this Thread
Search Engine: