Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA codeshare operated by JL / JAL, where to credit to

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2019, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum

Hi. I booked a flight on AA.com. It's operated by JAL: HAN-NRT-SAN. It has AA flight numbers (S class). Can I only credit this to AA, or can I credit to other JAL partners like AS? How about AA partners?

My guess would be AA and any AA partner which also partners with JAL.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by italdesign
Hi. I booked a flight on AA.com. It's operated by JAL: HAN-NRT-SAN. It has AA flight numbers (S class). Can I only credit this to AA, or can I credit to other JAL partners like AS? How about AA partners?

What frequent flyer programs are you a member of now?
AA & Oneworld ffp's credit to the ffp based on marketed flight if flight operated is eligible (JL is OK)
AS credits to the ffp based on the operator. But reports on AS forum is that you need to manually ask for the JL flight to be credited.

https://www.wheretocredit.com/american-airlines/s
https://www.wheretocredit.com/japan-airlines/s
Codeshares do not always map 1 to 1

1 flight is not a good basis to select a ffp

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Oct 6, 2019 at 7:28 pm
Old Oct 7, 2019, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond

The most logical answer to that depends on the rules of the airline program you want to credit the flight to
moondog likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 11:57 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum Elite, Wyndham Rewards Gold
I would credit it to the AAdvantage account. I would not bother with JAL's Mileage Bank as the points accumulated will expire in like 3 years with no way to extend it beyond that.

I learned the hard way several years ago when I flew on China Airlines and banked my miles from those flights into CAL's Dynasty Flyer rather than Delta Sky Miles. I accumulated over 50k and lost all of it those miles these past 2-3 years! I just stick with Oneworld using AAdvantage, Star Alliance using United Mileage Plus, and Skyteam using Delta Sky Miles, at least with the latter two miles never expire. AA's you can keep extending and accumulating/banking miles as long as you have activity or fly once on AA or Oneworld partner flights in 18 months.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
What frequent flyer programs are you a member of now?
AA & Oneworld ffp's credit to the ffp based on marketed flight if flight operated is eligible (JL is OK)
AS credits to the ffp based on the operator. But reports on AS forum is that you need to manually ask for the JL flight to be credited.
Good to know. If credit to AA with no status, would I get 5 miles per $? The pre-tax fare is around $500, so I'd get 2,500 AA miles.
According to wheretocredit, JL S class gets 50% if credit to AS. Almost 8000 miles distance, that would net 4,000 AS miles.
Too bad AS status resets on Dec 31 rather than Jan 31; as MVP I'd get 75% but the flight is in early Jan.

How do I find out if AA S maps to JL S?

Last edited by italdesign; Oct 9, 2019 at 7:54 am
Old Oct 9, 2019, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Good to know. If credit to AA with no status, would I get 5 miles per $? The pre-tax fare is around $500, so I'd get 2,500 AA miles.
According to wheretocredit, JL S class gets 50% if credit to AS. Almost 8000 miles distance, that would net 4,000 AS miles.
Too bad AS status resets on Dec 31 rather than Jan 31; as MVP I'd get 75% but the flight is in early Jan.

The question is how is AS going to determine the fare class as your booking info will have the AA booking class
That said, both JL S and AA S earned 50 percent on AS
With no status on AA, you would get 5 x (bases fare + airline surcharge (if any))
Old Oct 9, 2019, 5:42 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

Normally the marketing airline applies, not the operating airline, so you should Mileage Plan miles as if you were flying AA. Link.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.