Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

American Airlines | AAdvantage

Another opinion piece: Parker on the way out?

Another opinion piece: Parker on the way out?

Old Oct 7, 19, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Does anyone know who Parker's #2 man/woman is? Viable replacement candidate?
Old Oct 7, 19, 9:55 am

Programs: AA PPro, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge View Post
Possibly bring Horton back. He seemed to be doing a decent job of turning around AA until Parker began his hostile takeover, in part by convincing employees they'd be much better off under him.
I actually don't disagree with you on this, but I think it's unlikely to occur.

Regards
TheDudeAbides likes this.
Old Oct 7, 19, 9:58 am

Programs: AA PPro, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
Does anyone know who Parker's #2 man/woman is? Viable replacement candidate?
The "number 2" would be Robert Isom, who is President of AA. However, that would likely pretty much be more of the same for the most part given that I believe he came from US Airways with Doug Parker.

Regards
enviroian and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Oct 7, 19, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
One can only dream.....
Attached Images  
ijgordon likes this.
Old Oct 7, 19, 10:04 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer View Post
Big question is WHO would be the new CEO? Isom? Outsider?
Maybe Richard Anderson. Or someone in Southwest's upper management who is looking to become a CEO.
Old Oct 7, 19, 10:09 am

Programs: AA "mid tier" elite | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cmd320 View Post
One can only hope. Parker has been the worst CEO in AA history.
I'd argue Arpey. His obstinate nature and pride got in the way of AA declaring bankruptcy, which led to a decade of NGBC type mediocrity, a bankruptcy regardless and then Parker.
Old Oct 7, 19, 10:12 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Question becomes: What is the BOD looking for in a replacement:
1. Someone who will make peace with labor (not sure that is possible in the current economic environment without giving away the store - Crandall, Horton wrote extensively on the subject).
2. Improve operational efficiency (see #1 above)
3. Reduce costs (see #1 above)

At the end of the day, I believe it all comes back to good labor relations - something AA has struggled with for more than 30 years; other than allowing the inmates to take over the asylum, changing leadership at this stage may be little more than rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. Waiting until the next economic downturn, bringing on someone like Horton to take the company back through Chapter 11 may be the only real solution.
Old Oct 7, 19, 10:17 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
It is interesting that many in this thread seem to be advocating for CEOs that were infamous for gutting the related FFPs. Perhaps with the exception of Horton, Anderson, et al. destroyed their frequent flyer programs. Take a look at what Anderson did to the DL and NWA FFPs and how they existed before he took over. I get folks want better reliability and the like. The competitive atmosphere that Crandall, Bethune and the like operated in is dead and buried. Replace Parker if it will bring more value, but don't think for a second, that replacing the CEO with someone else, is really going to make AA a ton better. The labor issues at AA and US existed long before Parker took over. Think a new CEO will spend a ton to fix the aging IT. Doubt it. The AA that everyone seems to have loved pre merger would not have survived in the new environment. Whoever the CEO Is, we are not going back to confirmable "C" inventory on every flight, easy sAAver awards on AA metal, etc. I am not advocating keep Parker. He's made some mistakes for certain. The banked flight strategy with thin staffing is a nightmare, but a new CEO is not going to fix easily, quickly or the like, the complex and deep structural problems at AA nor return AAdvantage to its former glory.

Safe Travels
Spiff, enviroian and BWISkyGuy like this.
Old Oct 7, 19, 10:18 am

Programs: US-Plt;Concierge key; American AAirpass; Delta Silver;Starwood - Platinum; Amex Cent
Agree with all of this.

Parker was great at at M&A and I would say did an excellent job leading the technical aspects of the integration.

His problem is that he has no vision. He believes every airplane should cater to both the spirit customer and the concierge key customer - I dont think this is possible. Where Delta is constantly pushing the boundaries in every aspect of running a superior airline Doug continues to double down on his strategy. Example - "Our customers tell us they prefer to watch entertainment on their own device" Delta says " Our customers tell us they love seatback video".
Old Oct 7, 19, 11:09 am

Programs: AA EXP
I look at Project Oasis as the airline equivalent of New Coke. In the case of AA, management is stubbornly and obstinately refusing to acknowledge their error or reverse course. It is no wonder when the needs of customers are ignored, that corporate heads have to roll.
Spiff and MorganB like this.
Old Oct 7, 19, 11:19 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
After sitting in FC on an Oasis plane yesterday, I was asking myself what idiot signed off on this product, approved it and thought this is a good premium cabin experience. Not even considering the lack of in-seat IFE, it's just a terrible design.
Spiff likes this.
Old Oct 7, 19, 11:23 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
Originally Posted by Gig103 View Post
I actually enjoyed the editorial piece. Just wish it had been labeled as such and not "change imminent?" as if that question mark absolves them.
I didn't mind the first 1-2 pieces. But I feel I've seen 7 now, all regurgitating the same thing. Nothing new being presented. Each blogger just wants to make sure they are seen as covering a story that hasn't even unfolded yet.

And a poster mentioned bringing in a Southwest guy.
I like that idea. A culture change on the front line will be an important element to all of this, once all the union & oasis stuff is put to bed.
Old Oct 7, 19, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by morrisunc View Post
Parker was great at at M&A and I would say did an excellent job leading the technical aspects of the integration
Iíll agree with you that the IT-related aspects of the US/AA merger went relatively smoothly. They evidently learned something because the US/America West merger was a disaster.

But thatís where it ends. Parker is not great at M&A, then or now. Warring cultures, a hodgepodge of products, no brand purpose.
Spiff and JoeWoodstock like this.
Old Oct 7, 19, 11:51 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Can they get Frits van Paasschen, please?
Old Oct 7, 19, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by joeyE View Post
And a poster mentioned bringing in a Southwest guy.
I like that idea. A culture change on the front line will be an important element to all of this, once all the union & oasis stuff is put to bed.
Gary Kelly is first and foremost a bean counter, has a poor reputation with labor - frying pan to the fire IMHO.

Search this Thread