Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA needs to invest in decrepit gates at ORD

Old Oct 3, 19, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Despite U.S. legacy airlines being the world's most profitable, they don't seem to want to invest in the most basic things to improve the passenger experience. I was at the ORD K gates yesterday and it was like a scavenger hunt to find functioning plugs on the bottom of seats, despite many being present. How about spending some of your wild profits to make the waiting experience just a little more tolerable at your hub airports, AA? Give me a break.
Old Oct 3, 19, 10:12 am

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by ajl1239 View Post
Despite U.S. legacy airlines being the world's most profitable, they don't seem to want to invest in the most basic things to improve the passenger experience. I was at the ORD K gates yesterday and it was like a scavenger hunt to find functioning plugs on the bottom of seats, despite many being present. How about spending some of your wild profits to make the waiting experience just a little more tolerable at your hub airports, AA? Give me a break.
I hope you're not holding your breath. Your complaint is actually for the airport authority, not the airlines, who do not own the terminals.
Old Oct 3, 19, 10:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by ajl1239 View Post
ORD is owned and operated directly by the City of Chicago. What has this to do with AA?
Old Oct 3, 19, 10:29 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 2MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
I was at Ohare this week. I flew AA.

The train is only running to Rosemont because of construction so you have to take a shuttle bus from O'Hare to the Rosemont station. Then when you get to Rosemont, all of the escalators are under construction and blocked off. You'd think that if you were going to reroute airport traffic to a different station, you'd make sure the escalators were working since most people were rolling bags.

It is, alas, Chicago. Chicago isn't known as the city that works! That's likely at least one of the reasons AA is focusing on DFW ...
Old Oct 3, 19, 10:43 am

Isnít there major airport reconstruction coming?
Old Oct 3, 19, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ORD was built in a time of a/c flying around less than half full. By no means is it the only airport with cramped gate areas and lack of power ports. ORD is one of those airports that make me realize I'm glad I paid for an AC membership.
C17PSGR, zpaul and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Oct 3, 19, 10:58 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
I still hate O'hell as an airport, but if you want a truly horrible airport experience try PHL.
Old Oct 3, 19, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bchandler02 View Post
I still hate O'hell as an airport, but if you want a truly horrible airport experience try PHL.
Not an AA hub but MSY has them all beat. Unfortunately, the new terminal now has no opening date. LAX T4 is also a true dump but at least there's an AC.
Old Oct 3, 19, 11:30 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVPG
Slightly related, but airports are lobbying for authority to increase the PFCs (Passenger Facility Charge) from $4.50 to a maximum of $8.50. A4A is lobbying against the change.

Not sure if ORD would but PFC money into terminal renovation, but if they would, maybe write a letter to your representatives about PFC.
Old Oct 3, 19, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Originally Posted by bchandler02 View Post
3 worst airports in the United States IMO?

EWR
PHL
ORD
kcmd likes this.
Old Oct 3, 19, 11:36 am

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Neither AA nor ORD are going to invest in the terminal too much while the overall airport modernization program is underway. That said, while the airport is owned by the city, the airlines have considerable influence on the look and feel of their terminals. If AA really wanted to modernize their terminals at ORD they would do so. DL is spending over $1B on modernizing their terminals at LAX.

For the haters who are going to keep hating on PHL I have a few thoughts for you: EWR, MCI, FLL. Those are legitimately horrible airports. PHL is not the best by any means but it's far from the worst out there.
emag_eh7 and mcgahat like this.
Old Oct 3, 19, 11:39 am

Why would they need to invest in decrepit gates? They already have plenty!
Old Oct 3, 19, 12:00 pm

Programs: Once a somebody now a nobody
I agree our airport is looking a bit ragged lately. But at least our city is extremely safe and we have low taxes!

Oh...wait....hmmm. Maybe O'Hare is the highlight
gmt4 and C17PSGR like this.
Old Oct 3, 19, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM lifetime Platinum, Expedia +gold +++
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge View Post
Not an AA hub but MSY has them all beat. Unfortunately, the new terminal now has no opening date. LAX T4 is also a true dump but at least there's an AC.
Yes! And the mice!
Old Oct 3, 19, 12:19 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 1MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Also, IIRC, AA is feeling miffed at ORD these days because they think the airport authority is favoring UA over AA.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: