Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA needs to invest in decrepit gates at ORD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA needs to invest in decrepit gates at ORD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2019, 11:27 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Delta GM, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Honestly, if you think the H/K gates are bad, avoid flying Delta or UX - E/F makes H/K look positively modern! (And don't get me started on food options in T2).

Bottom line is that, with the exception of the L stinger, the entire airport is undergoing a massive renovation/rebuild over the next several years. That renovation will include additional space to sit while waiting for flights as well as additional lounge space and a new CBP station in the new T2 Global Terminal.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 11:57 am

Programs: CK or bust
Deleted

Last edited by enpremiere; Oct 4, 2019 at 7:15 am Reason: Already said further up-thread
Old Oct 3, 2019, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by dantheflyingman
Honestly, if you think the H/K gates are bad, avoid flying Delta or UX - E/F makes H/K look positively modern! (And don't get me started on food options in T2).
All of T2 is about to be demolished so I doubt they'll even be replacing blown light bulbs down there, let alone improving passenger amenities.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 12:44 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Funny thread.

I flew through ORD for the first time this summer and thought the exact same thoughts!

what a dump!
Old Oct 3, 2019, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA, Amex
Originally Posted by ajl1239
Despite U.S. legacy airlines being the world's most profitable
You've posted this in another thread and it's still nonsense. Especially with AA.

American Airlines Group net profit margin as of June 30, 2019 is 3.35%. This time of year in 2018? 1%!! A few years ago? Negative! (Source)

Ryanair Holdings net profit margin as of June 30, 2019 is 10.47%. (Source)
Old Oct 3, 2019, 2:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
ORD is easy to get in and out of. I personally could care less about a shopping experience. Just give me an AC. Land at one of the D60 gates at MIA and you wonder if you will ever get out of the airport.
dls25, deeruck, AANYC1981 and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by ajl1239
Despite U.S. legacy airlines being the world's most profitable, they don't seem to want to invest in the most basic things to improve the passenger experience. I was at the ORD K gates yesterday and it was like a scavenger hunt to find functioning plugs on the bottom of seats, despite many being present. How about spending some of your wild profits to make the waiting experience just a little more tolerable at your hub airports, AA? Give me a break.
When airport authorities do invest, they miss the mark completely. The new terminal (T3) at LAS doesn't have power at the seats at all !
Having at least some that work is an improvement.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 7:40 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
I think the PFC is plenty high enough.
I don't think pouring more money into the system will get more improvements anytime soon.
We're a massive country...it's tough to manage such a large spending budget. And there is plenty of capital spending.

Just this week, the US DOT announced $157 million in airport infrastructure grants to 34 airports in 19 states. This is the sixth allotment of the total $3.18 billion in FAA Airport Improvement Program (AIP) funding for airports across the US.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 8:06 pm

ORD T3 is not bad compared to LGA or PHX
Old Oct 3, 2019, 11:19 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC

For the haters who are going to keep hating on PHL I have a few thoughts for you: EWR, MCI, FLL. Those are legitimately horrible airports. PHL is not the best by any means but it's far from the worst out there.
MCI? Why? Yes. It's from the 70's. Yes. They are building a new one. BUT, it is one of the easiest/fastest airports out there. She ain't pretty, but she works.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 7:32 am

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Penguinmoon
MCI? Why? Yes. It's from the 70's. Yes. They are building a new one. BUT, it is one of the easiest/fastest airports out there. She ain't pretty, but she works.
I guess it depends on what you want. Easy in / out? Yes. But that's about where it ends. Food is terrible. Gate houses are cramped. No clubs to hide in. I've been to Greyhound terminals that are nicer. As for the new terminal, I thought that got shot down in a referendum. Nice to see they are going to proceed with it.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 12:22 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, AC Aeroplan, UA MileagePlus, WN Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Not an AA hub but MSY has them all beat. Unfortunately, the new terminal now has no opening date. LAX T4 is also a true dump but at least there's an AC.
Here is what the new AA gates and nearby concessions will look like. These were taken on Monday by an AA staff member. You'll also have access to the food courts by security and concessions in A and C. A significant improvement over the current situation. Looking forward to checking them out when we fly out for Thanksgiving with AA.

American Airlines gate

American Airlines gates

Concessions next to AA gates

Concourse B

Old Oct 4, 2019, 12:30 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Will take ORD any day over JFK, EWR or MIA which are the worst in the country.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 12:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Will take ORD any day over JFK, EWR or MIA which are the worst in the country.
MIA Concourse D is new and E has been remodeled. Some of the gate areas are spacious, some are not. The length of MIA due to many concessions is the issue. Even using the Skytrain it's a schlep from one end of the concourse to another. Not good for tight connections.

JFK also spacious and in the middle of the day is a ghost town. But like MIA it's spread out. EWR I understand the UA terminals are nice, that one AA goes out of is a dump (although a nice AC).

I read somewhere that the MSY Airport Authority made room for 3 lounges in the new terminal. It's also my understanding that UA and DL committed to a lounge and no surprise AA would not.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by CZBB
When airport authorities do invest, they miss the mark completely. The new terminal (T3) at LAS doesn't have power at the seats at all !
Having at least some that work is an improvement.
LAS is just a stupid design overall.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.