Kids traveling for the first time

Old Oct 2, 2019, 10:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite, AS MVP Gold 75K
Kids traveling for the first time

I travel weekly for work, and I'm, PPro, but I'm taking my wife and kids on a trip to NYC. My daughters have never flown before (5 & 10). It's been a while since I was that young, but I recall being able to board early and visit the flight deck before the flight. Is anyone aware of anything that AA would offer in this situation? Are pre-departure flight deck visits allowed/authorized? They're both very excited to fly, and I want to make that experience a most memorable one for them...I half-jokingly say that AA jets are my office. Thank you in advance.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 10:54 pm

First reaction: how exciting!! Enjoy the whole experience!
Second reaction: Do not rely upon AA. It is up to you how good your daughters' experience will be
Ultimately,: prepare well, keep them interested and busy and informed = have a happy time

boarding early will still be possible but implemented randomly on some flights- especially possible on international flights though you do not say what your flights are...

again, stay happy and all will be happy!
Old Oct 2, 2019, 11:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite, AS MVP Gold 75K
They're all boring domestic flights (to me) through LUS hubs on LUS aircraft. We have phones and tablets to keep them entertained after the excitement of looking out the window fades. I am excited to see the experience through their eyes...mine have become jaded with all my travels. My wife will especially enjoy the lounge access (I'm also an AC member) and NYC should be the coup d'etat, though I think the plane ride will be hard to top. Maybe the subway and Penn station will be close.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 2:48 am

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
I took my 12 year old nephew on an early morning domestic flight last year, boarded in Zone 1 and asked nicely and was allowed to have him visit the pilots and take a photo before the flight on an A321 (LUS crew). Don’t promise them that in advance because I’m not sure it’s always available. Of course, make sure you have a window seat!
Old Oct 3, 2019, 4:08 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
when my daughter was younger... we always were the first group to board,
a kind note to the FA meeting us in the plane, asking about my daughter visiting the pilot was almost always had with success.
In fact I have photo's of her, sitting in the captains seat with his hat one.

Dont worry too much.. your kids will have a great time.. enjoy NY
Old Oct 3, 2019, 5:21 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
Bring food / snacks. Don’t feed them before the flight...wait until you’re in the air....1 more thing to help kill time.

and take the kids to Dylan’s Candy Bar in NY.
Gringa likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
If the pilots are not swamped with work or working problems during the pre-board period, IME they are almost always happy to welcome kids on the flight deck for a minute. Most of their customers are incurious about the pilots' job and their "office," so it makes them happy when a young person is excited to venture up front. My son began asking for cockpit visits when he was about 5, and... he's a pilot himself now, giving kids wings.

If OP sees the captain + FO pass through the gatehouse area before boarding begins, I think it is OK to politely approach and ask if your girls can stop by and say hello on the way to their seats. You might end up with fun snapshots of the girls at the controls.
strickerj likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 5:25 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
5 and 10 year olds don’t seem to generally get pre-boarding on my flights, and it’s not really needed for most kids that age.

First time kids on planes of that age may need some guidance on plane bathroom use, but most manage just fine on their own. Bringing your own food and entertainment for kids makes journeys go much smoother.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 7:33 am
yno

Programs: FB, Accor, Marriot
I recently asked about the age for preboarding and from the moment your kids can properly walk and dont need carrying, it seems it's not granted anymore.
One thing that friends do often to be able to visit the cockpit, is ask the FA during the flight and then wait until everyone is off the plane after landing.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 8:12 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by MikeShores
...I recall being able to board early...
AA.com under Traveling with children and infants states:
  • Families with children under 2 years old can ask to board early at the gate.
Technically you have to board with your boarding group since your daughters are 10 and 5. I know people will say how gate agents will know, but do you think your 5 years old daughter can pass as 2 years old?

Anyway, when seated in F I often see families with small kids spending short time in flight deck with pilots during boarding.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 9:16 am

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
AA.com under Traveling with children and infants states:
  • Families with children under 2 years old can ask to board early at the gate.
I can count on one hand the times I've seen AA allow pre-boards for families; I can count on about ten hands the times I've seen it denied, lied about, or ignored.

I had one DFW gate agent tell me, traveling with baby, that the policy didn't even exist. She was not swayed even with a printed copy out of my bag.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Think about what they may want to see within the airport itself. Depending on the airport there may be things to see or do of interest. Could be as simple as a great seat from the AC to watch planes or window shopping depending on available stores in the terminal.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by reeg2
I had one DFW gate agent tell me, traveling with baby, that the policy didn't even exist. She was not swayed even with a printed copy out of my bag.
If you're not in a hurry to get anywhere, that would be a situation to take your time getting settled when you board with your group and back up boarding. Falls on the gate agent if the flight gets out late by a minute. The pre-boarding policy literally exists to help the gate agents get flights out on time by avoiding having families back up boarding while they get their children settled in to the seats.
kimberlyrose likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 6:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP / HH Diamond
I've seen kids given a "travel passport" from the Admiral's clubs, that they can take to (willing) pilots -- I know one of my nephews treasures his. As echoed above, it is not guaranteed, and there may be other issues that may cause a trip to not be possible (late crew arrival, etc.)
Old Oct 4, 2019, 8:45 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by Flyer78
I've seen kids given a "travel passport" from the Admiral's clubs, that they can take to (willing) pilots -- I know one of my nephews treasures his. As echoed above, it is not guaranteed, and there may be other issues that may cause a trip to not be possible (late crew arrival, etc.)
My kids got the passports and wing pins from the CLT AC last month, they were over the moon.
Flyer78 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.