Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

SimplyMiles and earning AAdvantage miles - Scam? Good? Bad?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SimplyMiles and earning AAdvantage miles - Scam? Good? Bad?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2021, 6:22 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, HH Diamond, National EE
Did $700 to cover what I was about to spend on a normal flight. If people start getting credited miles before the promotion ends I'd probably be in for another $1k or so but I want to see if it will be honored first.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 6:22 pm

Programs: Once a somebody now a nobody
For anyone who has used the Simplymiles site, how long does it usually take to see the transactions post to your transaction history? I'm assuming the bonus miles will take a bit longer.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 6:29 pm

So.... two questions:

1) If I didn't receive the promo email, is it worth even checking out simply miles proactively? (In case the conservation vendor is available.) It looks like you can't see your vendor list until you join --- is that correct?

2) Is it possible to "opt out" at anytime? Like five minutes after joining if the vendors/deals I'm targeted with aren't worthwhile?
Old Dec 13, 2021, 6:39 pm

And while the promo is still displayed on the merchant's website, supplies are clearly still available.
You could make that argument to SM but it’s not necessarily true. There’s no realtime update on the miles available. “Subject to availability” is a huge CYA.

Last edited by rrgg; Dec 13, 2021 at 8:06 pm
Old Dec 13, 2021, 6:55 pm

Programs: Free agent
Originally Posted by AndyKehn
Donated 5k to get 1 million miles. Qsuites here I come!
mroseman13 likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Donated directly with Conservation International using my Citi AAdvantage Mastercard. I was targeted and "activated" the offer prior to the donation. No e-mail, yet. I know it'll be awhile before we all see account crediting (if that happens)...still, a little worried that I didn't get an e-mail from SimplyMiles. FWIW, my Citi account still shows the charge as "pending." As somebody upthread said, at worst, I planted some trees and got at least some miles through my credit card...but hoping this pays off in the way we all do. Anybody else donate directly through Conservation International's website?
Old Dec 13, 2021, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
A reminder to enroll your card at simply miles as well as activate the offer. I forgot on my first round, so likely not getting the first time bonus. Redid it for $1k, figure that's what I'd be happy giving to a good charity - if it was $10k, I'd be pretty sad if I didn't get the bonus. Although 40x as a booby prize would be a partial offset.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 7:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
Donated directly with Conservation International using my Citi AAdvantage Mastercard. I was targeted and "activated" the offer prior to the donation. No e-mail, yet. I know it'll be awhile before we all see account crediting (if that happens)...still, a little worried that I didn't get an e-mail from SimplyMiles. FWIW, my Citi account still shows the charge as "pending." As somebody upthread said, at worst, I planted some trees and got at least some miles through my credit card...but hoping this pays off in the way we all do. Anybody else donate directly through Conservation International's website?
Donate using the link provided in simplymiles.com, it seems to be a special link because it even mentions the miles and that is in partnership with Mastercard. Email arrived 5 seconds after donation stating miles are coming
36902BRF and aquanine like this.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 8:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Based on how much attention this is getting across the "major" blogs I'm surprised this thread isn't a LOT busier!

Reports of quite a few people spending $5k++.

I can see this ending poorly once whichever company is backing the promotion sees the volume of donations they're going to get this week.

But on the bright side, maybe this flood of donations will help turn the tides on climate change?
Old Dec 13, 2021, 8:22 pm

I think FM's advice to be prepared for 40x is well taken. A $5000 donation earns 200,000 miles at 40x.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 8:43 pm
brg

Originally Posted by coleslaw
Based on how much attention this is getting across the "major" blogs I'm surprised this thread isn't a LOT busier!
Reports of quite a few people spending $5k++.
I can see this ending poorly once whichever company is backing the promotion sees the volume of donations they're going to get this week.
But on the bright side, maybe this flood of donations will help turn the tides on climate change?
Quite possible and with promos like this one can plant a tree for 2$ and then burn 1000 trees with a F class trip so the net balance may be off a bit

I saw Frequent Miler on Saturday and thought this was too good to be true - Then I signed up on Sun and found no deals for 40x
– I thought it was dead – then the offers became available on my account today (Monday) and I cashed in.

I opened up new accounts for family and they show no good offers (neither movie club or conservation)
I think you can only buy with a mastercard that is linked to account for the 5x bonus

So sign up for simplymiles
Wait a day for the offers
Add the cards you are going to use to your account
Activate the offers you want
Verify the 40x then buy WITH THE CARDs that are registered

US Airways lives on in promos! Deja vu Track It Back
Exiled in Express likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 8:49 pm
brg

Originally Posted by bangkokiscool
I think FM's advice to be prepared for 40x is well taken. A $5000 donation earns 200,000 miles at 40x.
True
And if you value the miles at 0.4c for tax purposes - 40x miles @0.4c = 16c value
Tax write off 1$ less value back 0.16c = still can write off 84c for each $

Assuming 1000$ = 840$ tax write off = real write off 330$ at least
So real cost 670$ for 40,000 miles = about 1.65c each in worst case scenario (if 5x is gone by then) as "quantities are limited"
You have no idea at time of gift if the 5x is still available

if you get only 40x then
for a 5k donation = 5k less value of miles 200,000x0.4= 80,000c= 800$
Tax loss 4200- tax benefit 1200
Real cost about 3800 for 200k miles = usual cost of miles to us during sales

If you get 240x, then 5k donation = 1.2M miles x 0.4c = 5000 = no real write of possible
But I'd rather be in this situation here and get 1M miles at 0.42c

So worst case you buy miles at a good (not great) price
Old Dec 13, 2021, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by chicago747
For anyone who has used the Simplymiles site, how long does it usually take to see the transactions post to your transaction history? I'm assuming the bonus miles will take a bit longer.
Days to a couple of weeks in my experience. I have also had to file missing cashback claims twice which were honored. You have to give them 15 days before you can file a missing cashback claim.

Edit: To add the email that comes from MasterCard is unique to this charity offer I haven't seen that before on other SM offers.

Last edited by 36902BRF; Dec 13, 2021 at 9:12 pm
Old Dec 13, 2021, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
The more I analyze the wording, the more I am sure that this will result in 45 miles per dollar, not 240. That works out to 2.2 cents a mile rather than 0.4 cents. Not a terrible price but you can frequently get miles from AA at 1.8 cents.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 9:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by vasantn
The more I analyze the wording, the more I am sure that this will result in 45 miles per dollar, not 240. That works out to 2.2 cents a mile rather than 0.4 cents. Not a terrible price but you can frequently get miles from AA at 1.8 cents.
What wording? I got the email from Simplymiles and it literally states:

Good tidings and shopping deals Here's a gift from us to you.

Log in to SimplyMiles™ today to explore your personalized SimplyMiles™ offers. Select your offers by Adding to Card and use your enrolled Mastercard® card for those purchases.

*As a special holiday bonus, through December 27 or while supplies last, earn an additional 5X American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles on every offer site-wide. For example, if you earn 100 miles on a purchase of $30 or more, then you will actually earn 100 miles + 500 bonus miles for a total of 600 miles.

Hurry, this 5X SimplyMiles™ Holiday Bonus is for a limited time and subject to availability of bonus miles.
Single_Flyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.