Old Checked Baggage Tags

Old Sep 30, 19, 11:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plt, UA 1P
Old Checked Baggage Tags

So this afternoon while boarding a flight from DCA to TPA, a FA stopped me and forced me to remove an old baggage tag because it was a "finable FAA offense."

Now this wasn't while checking a bag, or even gate checking; this was while walking down the aisle with a carry-on that had been previously checked. (And I know, you should always remove tags afterward. . .but I generally only do that the next time I'm checking the bag.) I don't care either way, don't collect the tags, and pulled it off for him without complaint. . .but after almost 1m lifetime miles flown (and walking by literally 100s of AA employees in the last month with that bag) this is the first time I've ever heard this assertion.

Has anyone else been told that old baggage tags on a carry-on are a finable against the airline?
Old Oct 1, 19, 1:00 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Sounds awfully made-up to me.
Old Oct 1, 19, 5:56 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Lol, completely made up, why a FA would care is beyond me...
Spanish likes this.
Old Oct 1, 19, 6:32 am

Programs: US CP, UA *G; SPG Plat, Hilton Gold; Natl Exec, Hertz PC
Yes, Iíve received a similar lecture from an AA FA that was met with a similar amount of skepticism and healthy dose of eye rolling. I think it was obvious to the FA that it was an old tag but perhaps he was trying to make sure it wasnít a forced gate check bag being carried on. Like you, I employ a similar lazy tag removal strategy and had no issue removing the tag.
Old Oct 1, 19, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT; QR PLT; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by flightrisk View Post
... perhaps he was trying to make sure it wasnít a forced gate check bag being carried on.
What a piss poor way to do it.
RoyalFlush likes this.
Old Oct 1, 19, 8:08 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
Forced or instructed? Drama much?

Technically I suppose knowing you have a tag for C when youíre knowingly traveling to B fits the description of a threat, but thatís a poor application of the policy or law.

If this is the first time such a thing has happened in a million miles of flying, Iíd say the system is working as intended & this isnít even a footnote in life...
Old Oct 1, 19, 8:49 am

Programs: Seashore Trolley Museum "flight attendant"
I have never observed counter agents or flight crews calling attention to old tags on bags but old tags can cause misdirected and mishandled bags, including carryons that had to be gate checked at the last moment..

There are certain (yellow colored) baggage tags that are Disney World specific and are supposed to remain on the bags on the way to Disney. But if not removed, the yellow tags might cause homebound bags (if they had not departed Orlando yet) to go back to Disney and languish there for awhile.
Old Oct 1, 19, 11:07 am

Programs: AA PtPro (1 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by ctm78 View Post
So this afternoon while boarding a flight from DCA to TPA, a FA stopped me and forced me to remove an old baggage tag because it was a "finable FAA offense."

Now this wasn't while checking a bag, or even gate checking; this was while walking down the aisle with a carry-on that had been previously checked. (And I know, you should always remove tags afterward. . .but I generally only do that the next time I'm checking the bag.) I don't care either way, don't collect the tags, and pulled it off for him without complaint. . .but after almost 1m lifetime miles flown (and walking by literally 100s of AA employees in the last month with that bag) this is the first time I've ever heard this assertion.

Has anyone else been told that old baggage tags on a carry-on are a finable against the airline?
Sounds like related to a situation I observed few months ago. I was sitting at a front row aisle in First (domestic First or business as it called now?) and toward end of boarding Group 7 or 8 it looked like gate agents were proactively tagging roll-a-board siting that there were no more overhead space. At the end of the boarding one passenger walked in with a roll-a-board with a baggage tag on it. FA said to the passenger to leave checked baggage outside of the door and a ground crew will take the baggage to the belly of the aircraft. The passenger said that wanted to see if there was a space in overhead. The FA tried to say something to the passenger but the passenger already waked deep into the aircraft. The FA said to another FA about something like cannot have carry-on with baggage tag. Looked like a passenger found overhead space and soon gate agent walked in. The FA said to the gate agent something in regard to have to get a baggage tag on one of the carry on. The gate agent said to the FA something like it is alright and closed the door, looked like the gate agent simply wanted to close the door in hurry. During taxing the FA was talking to another FA about the situation, the FA was saying that baggage tag had to be removed and taken off in the system. The FA was saying that do not want to get caught violating FAA rule, it will be on us.

Is it possible that AA has a company policy regarding how to handle checked baggage which did not go into cargo hold, where that information on checked baggage have to be removed from the system? Now we can see baggage tracking information at a website or an app Is it possible that if a baggage tag was printed and placed on the baggage, but if a baggage handler at a gate did not scan the baggage tag, then the system will alert that the baggage is missing somewhere at the airport? If such procedure/rule exist in AA and if such procedure/rule is written in an operating procedure AA submit to FAA then does that procedure/rule also become FAA rule that AA must follow?
Old Oct 1, 19, 11:11 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, MaÓtre-plongeur des Muccis
If itís a company rule that the company has filed with and had approved by the FAA, I believe it then has the force of an FAA rule. In this case, that could apply. Iíve certainly heard FAs refer to a company rule so filed and say ďitís an FAA ruleĒ.
jerseytom likes this.
Old Oct 1, 19, 2:04 pm

As a general statement, it seems like I witness more arbitrary, aggressive, and over reaching behavior by AA agents at DCA, than at other airports. I actually approach the boarding gate and / or check-in counter -- with a bit of trepidation, wondering if I'm going to see some poor soul called out for something or treated with an aggressive, almost hostile tone and body language, for some indiscernible transgression. Not sure why this is, but I started noticing it as an order of magnitude / more frequent occurrence above other airports 2-3 years ago. Just my observation.

Will be interesting to know if anyone identifies the baggage tag as a policy.

Search this Thread