FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   AA Adds Daily BOS-LHR, more MIA-GRU, LIM, SCL; earlier seasonal Europe (2020) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1989415-aa-adds-daily-bos-lhr-more-mia-gru-lim-scl-earlier-seasonal-europe-2020-a.html)

jspira Sep 30, 2019 7:38 am

AA Adding Boston-London Heathrow Flights

American will introduce an evening non-stop to LHR next March with an early morning return flight. (It is also increasing the frequency of service from MIA to Lima, Santiago, and São Paulo).

The LHR service will operate using 777-200ER aircraft with 37 business-class seats and 24 seats in premium.

Source: American Airlines to Add Boston-London Service, Increase Frequencies on 3 South American Flights

American Airlines plans to offer new daily service from Boston to London and increased service from Miami to Lima, Peru; Santiago, Chile; and São Paulo, Brazil.

The new non-stop service to London’s Heathrow Airport will begin on March 29, 2020, with an evening departure from Boston and an early morning return.

American will operate the flight using Boeing 777-200 aircraft with 37 fully lie-flat seats in its Flagship Business business-class cabin …

<SNIP>

This link is to an online source to which I contribute and/or have a financial interest.

rowingman Sep 30, 2019 7:43 am

First response to LATAM for South American routes and going after Delta in Boston for European head to head competition.

Antarius Sep 30, 2019 7:52 am

Where are the aircraft coming from?

MSPeconomist Sep 30, 2019 8:00 am

The battle of BOS has begun, with an added skirmish related to DL's investment and partnership with LATAM.

discoverCSG Sep 30, 2019 8:09 am

Where are the LHR slots coming from?

jcatman Sep 30, 2019 8:22 am

A welcome response from American, as long as the additional routes are not announced via another annoying commercial featuring Vasu Raja.

AA100k Sep 30, 2019 9:31 am

Yet another flight to LHR, between AA and BA there must be 20 a day.....can’t AA find another profitable destination?

rrgg Sep 30, 2019 10:11 am

Originally Posted by AA100k (Post 31578795)
Yet another flight to LHR, between AA and BA there must be 20 a day.....can’t AA find another profitable destination?

Fine. We'll take some in BOS and NY can loose a few. Wish they were bringing back the daytime flight...

Gig103 Sep 30, 2019 10:42 am

From the little I understand about airline margins, probably not. The major tourist destinations are probably covered and low yield, while LHR gives them the full BA network. So on the flip side, the more LHR flights they offer, the fewer connections to European destinations we need to undertake (staying in OW).

M60_to_LGA Sep 30, 2019 10:56 am

Originally Posted by rowingman (Post 31578367)
First response to LATAM for South American routes and going after Delta in Boston for European head to head competition.

Is it possible this was already in the works before the DL announcement? I would imagine that a big, lumbering bureaucracy like a major global airline would need more than one week to put new international routes into place, no? (Serious question - I actually have no idea, but it takes longer than that for my freaking company to order coffee.)

MSPeconomist Sep 30, 2019 11:02 am

My guess is that the new BOS flights were planned long ago and the only question was how to time the announcement for the best PR value. DL's plans to expand significantly at BOS have been well known, although of course DL withheld details until last week's ceremony.

LATAM seems to have been a surprise, although perhaps AA had already been thinking about contingency plans for a number of scenarios so that the brainstorming and a lot of the analysis had already been done to cover various potential decisions by AA's major competitors. I would expect a well managed company to engage in such long term strategic thinking.

enviroian Sep 30, 2019 11:06 am

Yet another flight to LHR, between AA and BA there must be 20 a day

and not a C1 to be found anywhere.

:rolleyes:

beachfan Sep 30, 2019 11:12 am

Originally Posted by Antarius (Post 31578406)
Where are the aircraft coming from?

My first question as well.

AlwaysAisle Sep 30, 2019 11:17 am

As a Boston based flyer return of BOS-LHR by own metal is welcome news. With BA flying LHR-BOS 4 daily there will be 5 daily between BOS-LHR.

Since AA consolidated operation at BOS at LUS side of Terminal B, I heard it is possible that AA does not have wide body capable gates at BOS. Guess that is not true if BOS-LHR will be operated by 772, not 757 or A321LR. :p

M60_to_LGA Sep 30, 2019 11:20 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31579220)
I would expect a well managed company to engage in such long term strategic thinking.

So what's AA's excuse? :D