Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA 45 CDG-JFK : Confirming AA's lousy service

AA 45 CDG-JFK : Confirming AA's lousy service

Old Sep 29, 2019, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by Antarius
Why do you assume that people only post here and dont write to AA?
Originally Posted by rumboj
I concur wholeheartedly. I have never understood why people are so quick to start threads but never bother to complain to the Company. After all, this isn’t AA Customer Relations. However, it was explained to me that some people just want to vent and posting provides a forum for that...

So I guess it will just continue to be more of the same.
A bit presumptuous rumboj I'd say?
Who said I never reported this to AA?

I used to be hesitant to complain, fearing I'd be dinged in their CRM system as a complainer or that my LTV (lifetime value) would be diminished by the 5k AAPeso dog biscuits they'd throw at my feet...
These days as a lifetime PLT I actively avoid AA (and BA, and IB for that matter). I simply couldn't give a rat's behind what AA thinks of me.

PS-
One thing I unfortunately learned by getting burnt was NEVER to confront FAs onboard. A few years ago on a UA EZE-EWR the crew left their carts in business class for 45 minutes while they had a VERY LOUD and expletive-laden meltdown in the galley. When an elderly couple next to me rang their bell to ask to be served the purser was nothing short of verbally abusive. And I made the mistake of confronting her. BIG MISTAKE. She wrote me up as an unruly passenger such that when I contacted UA's executive office they came at ME. Fortunately I had 3 witnesses write to them and confirm their abusive behavior but never again will I say anything to FAs on US carriers. They invoke "safety" like there's no tomorrow.
Etheereal likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by bostontraveler
@plouie yes indeed. Silly of us passengers to expect any form of service. Next time Air Koryo!
I have flown Air Koryo. The crew was pleasant and helpful. I would take them over AA any time.
Etheereal likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 12:39 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
This seems to be a deplorable state of affairs. The passengers are now terrified of the FAs wrath and the FAs behave as they please. They must report to somebody. Someone has to be in charge of Inflight Services.
BearX220, Spiff and enviroian like this.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 1:53 am

Originally Posted by bostontraveler
A bit presumptuous rumboj I'd say?
Who said I never reported this to AA?

I used to be hesitant to complain, fearing I'd be dinged in their CRM system as a complainer or that my LTV (lifetime value) would be diminished by the 5k AAPeso dog biscuits they'd throw at my feet...
These days as a lifetime PLT I actively avoid AA (and BA, and IB for that matter). I simply couldn't give a rat's behind what AA thinks of me.
OP, I never said you never reported the incident. It was a general statement.

Originally Posted by Antarius
Why do you assume that people only post here and dont write to AA?
Have you missed the many threads where people don’t want to reach out to Customer Relations for one reason or another, or they have to be coerced into doing so by other forum members who seem to be more concerned about the poster’s experience than the poster is him/herself? I won’t even bother to consider the number of threads that pop where the OP keeps coming back to reply to messages but ignores all the posts from members telling them they should complain. It certainly doesn’t give the impression that they have been talking to Customer Relations.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 5:11 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Union contract prohibits it (one FA reporting on/evaluating/etc another.) AA would *love* to have it otherwise, but it aint gonna happen.
Do any of the major US airlines have union contracts that allow one FA reporting on/evaluating/etc another?
Old Sep 30, 2019, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Herb687
I'm curious if the APFA contract allows for AA management to hire non-employee "mystery shoppers" to fly on flights and for AA to initiate disciplinary action as a result of their findings.
HA! good one.
It's not prohibited by the contract. IIRC nothing like that is mentioned.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 6:20 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
This is the state of affairs. The disappearing FAs until the next service comes around. From time to time you'll get lucky and have a crew that roams the aisles from time to time to attend to paxs but it doesn't seem to be the norm anymore. Writing to AA won't get anything other than maybe a few thousand miles. Mystery shopper? Ok are you willing to give up your upgrade so that someone can sit in a J seat and observe the FAs?
Old Sep 30, 2019, 7:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
It's not prohibited by the contract. IIRC nothing like that is mentioned.
You are wrong.

Originally Posted by richarddd
Do any of the major US airlines have union contracts that allow one FA reporting on/evaluating/etc another?
It's a good question, personally I only know that it's not allowed on AA-- not allowed for one FA to evaluate or supervise another one.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You are wrong.
So having mystery passengers like mystery shoppers is specifically prohibited by the union contract? Can you refer me to a section number, or page number in the spiral bound edition?
Old Sep 30, 2019, 8:19 am
Suspended

So having mystery passengers like mystery shoppers is specifically prohibited by the union contract? Can you refer me to a section number, or page number in the spiral bound edition?

Originally Posted by Herb687
...I'm curious if the APFA contract allows for AA management to hire non-employee "mystery shoppers" to fly on flights and for AA to initiate disciplinary action as a result of their findings.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I didn't mean mentioned here, I meant mentioned in the union contract. Sorry if that wasn't clear.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 9:02 am
Suspended

I didn't mean mentioned here, I meant mentioned in the union contract. Sorry if that wasn't clear.
My point is more that any feedback that would be gleaned from any such check-flyers would be 100% UNuseable:
-> "to initiate disciplinary action as a result of their findings"

This Union thing isn't new

It's not like AA just hasn't thought of the correct way to circumvent it to get better FA performance-- there isn't one.

And AA is not allowed to have FA's evaluate and supervise each other on-board, check your "spiral bound edition"

Last edited by JonNYC; Sep 30, 2019 at 9:07 am
Old Sep 30, 2019, 9:05 am

My point is more that any feedback that would be gleaned from any such check-flyers would be 100% useable:
-> "to initiate disciplinary action as a result of their findings"

This Union thing isn't new

It's not like AA just hasn't thought of the correct way to circumvent it to get better FA performance-- there isn't one.

And AA is not allowed to have FA's evaluate and supervise each other on-board, check your "spiral bound edition"
100% not useable?
JonNYC likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 9:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by richarddd
100% not useable?
Oops, yes you're right, thanks!
Old Sep 30, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
I took this route a couple of years ago when it was run on a 763, and remember having very similar types of service the OP describes (though, of course I was in coach) -- but the flight was like $400 roundtrip, whereas getting to Paris from middle america is 1400+, so I was like, cool beans, whatever. AA should put the most meh flight attendant crews on the cheapest flights, save the good ones for those routes always charging a premium....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.