Community
Wiki Posts
Search

24 Hour Hold question

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2019, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

24 Hour Hold question

I placed a 24-Hold on a one-way return yesterday, to lock in a good fare while I finalized plans. It occurred to me after the fact that I have a residual ticket value I planned to use to purchase the ticket.

A similar strategy went awry recently with a United ticket. That ended up working out OK, but only after several calls and me scrambling to drop my hold in an attempt to generate the original fare I purchased the hold on. Luckily, the available fare reverted to the held fare once I dropped my ticket, and I grabbed it. However it's a bit easier on United because you can do the entire applied residual credit transaction online for the new flight.

Will I run into a similar issue with applying the residual American ticket value to a new fare-lock Hold? Or will AA be able to process the credit against the 24 held fare if I call to purchase?

Thanks!
Old Sep 27, 2019, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
No, this is normal. I often put an itinerary on hold and then call AA to exchange a previously unused ticket.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Awesome, thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.