Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LATAM to exit oneworld 1 May 2020: AA impact

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2020, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
LATAM has announced it will depart oneworld Alliance on 1 May 2020. From that date onward, AA and LA end reciprocity of any benefits; code sharing ended 1 Feb 2020.

American Airlines April 30, 2020 is the last day to earn and redeem miles on LATAM. All award travel must be booked and ticketed by April 30, 2020. Travel is valid for 1 year after ticketing date and must be flown no later than April 30, 2021. Ticket changes will not be allowed after April 30, 2020.

Special notice: LATAM Airlines will no longer operate using the airline code JJ for flights on or after October 27, 2019.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/partner-airlines/lan-airlines.jsp
LATAM will retain relationships with many of its former Oneworld partners after leaving the alliance. Travelers will still receive reciprocal lounge access, elite loyalty benefits, and be able to earn and redeem frequent-flier points on British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Finnair, Iberia, Japan Airlines, Malaysia Airlines, Qantas, Qatar, Royal Jordanian, S7 Airlines and SriLankan Airlines for the time being, LATAM said. — The Points Guy https://thepointsguy.com/news/latam-...than-expected/
LATAM will relocate from JFK Terminal 8, shared with American Airlines, to Terminal 4 and used by Delta Airlines.

31 Jan 2020
LATAM to leave oneworld effective 1 May 2020

LATAM Airlines Group will end its membership in the oneworld® alliance effective 1 May 2020, following the group’s decision to leave the alliance.

oneworld benefits for LATAM customers will be offered on oneworld flights up to and including 30 April 2020. LATAM Pass members will not receive oneworld frequent flyer benefits offered by Royal Air Maroc, which joins oneworld effective 1 April. LATAM will not offer oneworld frequent flyer member benefits to Royal Air Maroc Safar Flyer members.

<snip>

All redemption tickets that have been ticketed up to 30 April 2020 remain valid for travel, however, customers will not be eligible for oneworld tier status benefits if travel occurs after 30 April 2020.

A number of oneworld member airlines plan to maintain frequent flyer agreements with LATAM after 30 April. Customers are advised to contact their airlines or visit the airlines’ frequent flyer programme websites for more information.

]https://www.oneworld.com/news/2020-0...ive-1-May-2020
(Delta is investing $1.9 billion for a 20% stake in Latam, and it will invest $350 million to establish the partnership. Delta will fund the investment with a public tender offer of $16 per share. Following the closing of the transaction, Delta will have a seat on Latam’s board of directors. - Frequent Business Traveler: http://www.frequentbusinesstraveler.com/2020/01/latam-to-leave-oneworld-alliance-in-may/

Print Wikipost

LATAM to exit oneworld 1 May 2020: AA impact

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2019, 10:46 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Antarius
How was LATAM anything but a regional or LCC within SA? There was no F/J. Heck, I preferred Azul to short haul LATAM. The only loss is the lounge access and separate ticket OW benefits.

AA will need a partner, yes. It doesnt need to be the same one for all destinations.
My reference to regional or LCC was not in regard to quality of product (indeed there is little difference in quality between LATAM and the various LCCs—e.g., Sky, etc.—although LATAM might be somewhat more reliable). Rather, I was referring to AA’s ability to get passengers to destinations in one ticket. Imagine a business traveler flying AA into SCL, GRU, EZE, LIM, and having to have a separate ticket to get to whatever their final destination is.

I don’t think this is the end of the world in terms of AA’s MIA hub or dominance in Latin America, but as evidenced by AA’s response already (both in its quickness and defensiveness), I think it’s certainly serious.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 10:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
Not everyone traveling to South America is going to EZE, GRU, SCL, etc. After LA leaves Oneworld, AA will have no partner to connect passengers to secondary cities it doesn't serve itself. Sure, for those vacationing in SA, they might be ok with switching to a regional or LCC after flying AA on the intercontinental flight. But for businesses thinking about corporate contracts, why would they choose AA over DL/LA, even out of MIA?
Well, I don't imagine there are businesses with large volumes of corporate traffic based out of, like, Porto Seguro. The corporate contracts will be mostly for traffic in EZE, GRU, GIG, SCL.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 10:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

My reference to regional or LCC was not in regard to quality of product (indeed there is little difference in quality between LATAM and the various LCCs—e.g., Sky, etc.—although LATAM might be somewhat more reliable). Rather, I was referring to AA’s ability to get passengers to destinations in one ticket. Imagine a business traveler flying AA into SCL, GRU, EZE, LIM, and having to have a separate ticket to get to whatever their final destination is.

I don’t think this is the end of the world in terms of AA’s MIA hub or dominance in Latin America, but as evidenced by AA’s response already (both in its quickness and defensiveness), I think it’s certainly serious.
Why can't they just do codeshares with several airlines, as needed? It's not like this is an unprecedented situation.
dls25, sdsearch and nancypants like this.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by DMPHL
First, you're implying that DL and UA currently own the majority of the entertainment industry contracts and AA has a small fraction of them. Highly doubt that's the case.

Second, AA is the only airline on the route that offers a First Class product. Say what you will about it, but it attracts business, especially with the privacy of FFD for high-profile customers.

Third, it's been noted here that the vast majority of the premium entertainment industry travel is LAX point-of-sale, so has very little to do with DL's relative strength at JFK, especially as AA is the largest of the US3 at LAX.
UA eliminated First Class, eliminated their JFK presence, and went entirely to Newark. How many of those executives are actually on a full-fare F ticket? None. They fly private from TEB.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by SmithJC
UA eliminated First Class, eliminated their JFK presence, and went entirely to Newark. How many of those executives are actually on a full-fare F ticket? None. They fly private from TEB.
Doesn't the SAG still require F (doesn't need to be full fare)? And, isn't AA the only airline on the route that still offers F?
Old Sep 28, 2019, 10:57 pm

1. Wrong. Many of them don't fly private from Teterboro. Many studio executives fly commercial, even C-suite studio executives.
2. The lucrative contracts are for talent, who often by contract fly First. I've been in F cabins a number of times wihere A-list actors, musicians, etc. are also flying. I imagine they are on full-fare F tickets (albeit negotiated contract rates). UA's eliminating F and eliminating their JFK presence are precisely things that have favored AA.
moondog likes this.

Last edited by DMPHL; Sep 29, 2019 at 7:58 am
Old Sep 28, 2019, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
Why can't they just do codeshares with several airlines, as needed? It's not like this is an unprecedented situation.
Well, I don't imagine there are businesses with large volumes of corporate traffic based out of, like, Porto Seguro. The corporate contracts will be mostly for traffic in EZE, GRU, GIG, SCL.
Sure, AA could codeshare. And maybe all the business travel is to destinations already served by AA (although I doubt it). That still doesn’t answer the question of why businesses would choose AA/some at the moment hypothetical codeshare partner over DL/LA.

And just to be clear, I was originally responding to someone wondering why this would be a big deal to someone accruing AA miles or chasing AA status. My point is that this is likely a big deal not because of those chasing status or accruing AA miles caring but because of the potential loss of corporate contracts and increased competition in what has been a OW dominated market. And as we’ve seen, Parker’s AA doesn’t seem to hold up all too well to direct competition (e.g., AA in NYC now vs ten years ago).

Last edited by flyingeph12; Sep 28, 2019 at 11:13 pm
Old Sep 28, 2019, 11:07 pm

Sure, AA could codeshare. And maybe all the business travel is to destinations already served by AA (although I doubt it). That still doesn’t answer the question of why businesses would choose AA/some at the moment hypothetical codeshare partner over DL/LA.
After codeshares are put in place, they will no longer be hypothetical. In light of the fact that the LATAM news broke just several days ago, and the dust has yet to settle, it's understandable that a new strategy has yet to be finalized, let alone deployed.
sdsearch likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 11:09 pm

Point taken about a non-zero amount of corporate travel originating outside of those places. To capture that traffic, AA would definitely need to find partners for feed on the SA end. The vast majority of that traffic will still originate in major metropolitan areas where AA flies directly. For secondary markets in, for instance, Brasil, AA could codeshare with GOL, whose domestic product pretty much exactly the same at LATAM'S. The ability to do it all on one ticket will be important for those markets.

If AA can do that, I can't see the market being in bad shape. AA has a lot of corporate contracts in SA, and also owns a lot of contracts for US-based companies with business in SA, with a lot of name recognition and popularity among people at large. The AA brand is strong in SA, especially places like Brasil.

Except for businesses that have/want to keep their business with LATAM, there is currently no reason for companies/fliers to flee AA simply because LATAM is no longer a partner.
moondog likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 11:21 pm

After codeshares are put in place, they will no longer be hypothetical. In light of the fact that the LATAM news broke just several days ago, and the dust has yet to settle, it's understandable that a new strategy has yet to be finalized, let alone deployed.
That AA seems to have been caught flat footed is telling in itself, in my opinion. In any event, whatever strategy AA deploys better happen quickly, I think. Particularly given that AA/LA has already suspended their codeshare agreement for future flights.
DMPHL likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 11:32 pm

Point taken about a non-zero amount of corporate travel originating outside of those places. To capture that traffic, AA would definitely need to find partners for feed on the SA end. The vast majority of that traffic will still originate in major metropolitan areas where AA flies directly. For secondary markets in, for instance, Brasil, AA could codeshare with GOL, whose domestic product pretty much exactly the same at LATAM'S. The ability to do it all on one ticket will be important for those markets.

If AA can do that, I can't see the market being in bad shape. AA has a lot of corporate contracts in SA, and also owns a lot of contracts for US-based companies with business in SA, with a lot of name recognition and popularity among people at large. The AA brand is strong in SA, especially places like Brasil.

Except for businesses that have/want to keep their business with LATAM, there is currently no reason for companies/fliers to flee AA simply because LATAM is no longer a partner.
The AA brand might be strong in SA, but is it stronger than the combination of DL/LA? To me that is not a trivial question. In fact, a lot of money might be riding on that question.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 1:34 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Doesn't the SAG still require F (doesn't need to be full fare)? And, isn't AA the only airline on the route that still offers F?
No, SAG doesn’t require F.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 3:40 am

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I think LATAM may figure out they have made a mistake in switching to DL. LATAM serves Miami from several destinations. Their current Miami flights have a mix of O&D and connecting passengers which allows them to have a good mix. LATAM flights to Atlanta won't have much O&D that DL isn't already carrying so it will be basically the same as if they were flying to Charlotte. Can't see DL deciding to really serve the same connection points from Miami.

No question AA has the better J hard product compared to LATAM. All the J product AA sends to South America has direct aisle access and LATAM doesn't.

The soft product is a closer call. Frankly, I'm usually sleeping both ways so I don't notice it as much although I really like the LATAM lounge in SCL.
LATAM international service is consistent so at worst I give them that and they tend to be quite decent when measured against the AA average.

Indeed the LATAM lounges in SCL and GRU are definitely better in terms of seating, food, and overall size than their AA counterparts (even before the SCL AA club closed).
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist

It is definitely serious, I agree. My point is, they can still codeshare with different local partners in the future and achieve a lot of what they have now.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 4:55 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
As far as LAX to JFK, AA will always have a few advantages

1) UA abandoned JFK
2) Most of Delta’s hard product is the 767, which isn’t competitive to AA’s A321 F
3) JetBlue (which could theoretically be a viable alternative) doesn’t have lounges
4) Alaska (which was a viable alternative years ago as Virgin) cut frequencies and devalued the experience

Plenty of actors seem to fly AA F from LAX to NYC and back, I’ve seen them. I love Delta but AA’s LAX to JFK experience is significantly more premium all around

AA has basically given up on JFK/SFO, so you can see the seem to do relatively well on LAX/JFK

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.