Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LATAM to exit oneworld 1 May 2020: AA impact

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2020, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
LATAM has announced it will depart oneworld Alliance on 1 May 2020. From that date onward, AA and LA end reciprocity of any benefits; code sharing ended 1 Feb 2020.

American Airlines April 30, 2020 is the last day to earn and redeem miles on LATAM. All award travel must be booked and ticketed by April 30, 2020. Travel is valid for 1 year after ticketing date and must be flown no later than April 30, 2021. Ticket changes will not be allowed after April 30, 2020.

Special notice: LATAM Airlines will no longer operate using the airline code JJ for flights on or after October 27, 2019.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/partner-airlines/lan-airlines.jsp
LATAM will retain relationships with many of its former Oneworld partners after leaving the alliance. Travelers will still receive reciprocal lounge access, elite loyalty benefits, and be able to earn and redeem frequent-flier points on British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Finnair, Iberia, Japan Airlines, Malaysia Airlines, Qantas, Qatar, Royal Jordanian, S7 Airlines and SriLankan Airlines for the time being, LATAM said. — The Points Guy https://thepointsguy.com/news/latam-...than-expected/
LATAM will relocate from JFK Terminal 8, shared with American Airlines, to Terminal 4 and used by Delta Airlines.

31 Jan 2020
LATAM to leave oneworld effective 1 May 2020

LATAM Airlines Group will end its membership in the oneworld® alliance effective 1 May 2020, following the group’s decision to leave the alliance.

oneworld benefits for LATAM customers will be offered on oneworld flights up to and including 30 April 2020. LATAM Pass members will not receive oneworld frequent flyer benefits offered by Royal Air Maroc, which joins oneworld effective 1 April. LATAM will not offer oneworld frequent flyer member benefits to Royal Air Maroc Safar Flyer members.

<snip>

All redemption tickets that have been ticketed up to 30 April 2020 remain valid for travel, however, customers will not be eligible for oneworld tier status benefits if travel occurs after 30 April 2020.

A number of oneworld member airlines plan to maintain frequent flyer agreements with LATAM after 30 April. Customers are advised to contact their airlines or visit the airlines’ frequent flyer programme websites for more information.

]https://www.oneworld.com/news/2020-0...ive-1-May-2020
(Delta is investing $1.9 billion for a 20% stake in Latam, and it will invest $350 million to establish the partnership. Delta will fund the investment with a public tender offer of $16 per share. Following the closing of the transaction, Delta will have a seat on Latam’s board of directors. - Frequent Business Traveler: http://www.frequentbusinesstraveler.com/2020/01/latam-to-leave-oneworld-alliance-in-may/

Print Wikipost

LATAM to exit oneworld 1 May 2020: AA impact

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2020, 5:24 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
CX already announced that élite benefits will sunset in Oct., leaving mileage accrual and redemption only.
Consolation prize
Can't include LA in OW awards post-Oct.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 5:41 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by percysmith
Consolation prize
I'm not sure if that's post-May or post-Oct. CX has not made it clear, but anyway this is AA forum so irrelevant.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
Although I agree that AA has better coverage of the major cities in SA than those in Europe, I disagree that the loss of LA is comparable to losing MH. MH is a minor player in SE Asia, in my view, whereas LA is by far the largest airline in SA. With LA, OW had an undisputedly dominant position in the SA market, which is why I suspect fares to SA were often quite high. Now, I think there is a legitimate competitor in DL/LA. Maybe OW will still work for the business traveler who only needs to go to Sao Paolo or Buenos Aires, but if you need to travel around SA, even between many of the major business centers, OW is no longer really a viable option.

I think DL swooping in to create a partnership with LA as well as AA quickly tying up with GOL are both indications of the significance of LA to OW.

I don’t want to get too off-topic, but I am on the fence regarding AA+AS, particularly since my most frequented routes are ones on which AA and AS (formerly VX) compete.
The bolded point is why I compared it to MH. SIN, KUL, BKK, HKT, DPS, CGK etc. are all easily accessible on OW, but there is no way to get between them on OW. This is what LA was for AA. Now due to LA leaving, you can't get between SCL and BOG on OW, but that would be the same thing as MH leaving. CGK to SIN via CMB or HKG are your only options, routing that are equivalently absurd as SCL-MIA-BOG.

Last edited by Antarius; Feb 24, 2020 at 2:36 pm
Old Feb 24, 2020, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uxb
True, but does Aerolineas even compete with LATAM? LATAM has a much larger footprint in South America even though they are incompetent af. Delta got the better end of the stick even if Gol and Aerolineas left for OW.
Aerolineas obviously competes with LATAM on flights within and to/from Argentina.

My point is that even if Aerolineas only competes with a part of LATAM, that may be enough for Aerolineas' contract with SkyTeam to not allow another airline that competes with them to any degree in South America to join SkyTeam for Aerolineaas' current SkyTeam contract period.

My point is not whether Aerolineas would deserve such a "no one else around here in SkyTeam" clause in their SkyTeam contract, just that they might have such a clause whether you or I think they deserve it or not.

And I'm not arguing with you about the value of what Delta got, just speculating on the possible problems of translating Delta's partnership with LATAM into a quick full SkyTeam membership for LATAM.

Last edited by sdsearch; Feb 25, 2020 at 1:05 am
Old Feb 25, 2020, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Aerolineas obviously competes with LATAM on flights within and to/from Argentina.

My point is that even if Aerolineas only competes with a part of LATAM, that may be enough for Aerolineas' contract with SkyTeam to not allow another airline that competes with them to any degree in South America to join SkyTeam for Aerolineaas' current SkyTeam contract period.

My point is not whether Aerolineas would deserve such a "no one else around here in SkyTeam" clause in their SkyTeam contract, just that they might have such a clause whether you or I think they deserve it or not.

And I'm not arguing with you about the value of what Delta got, just speculating on the possible problems of translating Delta's partnership with LATAM into a quick full SkyTeam membership for LATAM.
LATAM isn’t joining SkyTeam.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cmd320
LATAM isn’t joining SkyTeam.
How do you know they won't eventually?

All we know is that they're not joining for now, and it could be because SkyTeam can't admit them for now for some sort of contractual reasons. But contract eventually end, and then eventually new contracts can begin.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by sdsearch
How do you know they won't eventually?

All we know is that they're not joining for now, and it could be because SkyTeam can't admit them for now for some sort of contractual reasons. But contract eventually end, and then eventually new contracts can begin.
I suppose eventually anything is possible, however DL has made it pretty clear that they're moving away from SkyTeam and towards deeper partnerships with select airlines. Taking the Virgin Group as an example, DL has been a 49% owner in VS since 2012 and they have not joined SkyTeam. Virgin Australia has also been a JV parter with DL for a number of years and hasn't joined. In fact the last airline to join SkyTeam was six years ago and that was Garuda.

Again, not saying it's impossible in the future, but it seems like the trend at this point is away from large alliances of random airlines.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 7:13 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Eventually I suspect that DL may realize that it would help if their partners had better relationships with each other. VS frequent flyers from London may want to fly to South America -- should they be enticed to choose LATAM, whom Delta has an equity stake in? So I think eventually Delta will find a way to use SkyTeam as a tool to build value on their investment, especially if they put an effort into working with partners and improving their in-flight service on long haul flights. Given that the aviation market in the US is really hot right now and the international market is slow due to COVID-19, it's probably not a high priority, but market conditions could shift.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 5:19 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by BlatheringPenguin
How many routes does GOL compete with LATAM on? That’s what’s puzzled me about playing up the new partnership, it’s really not a replacement for LATAM in almost any way as far as I can see
Agreed with others. GOL competes in Brasil and maybe a handful of cities outside Brasil, but that's it. We're presently screwed for flights within SA if we want to stay OW. It's not a huge deal since you can't travel around SA without having to connect in a hub like SCL, LIM, GRU or EZE, but still. You are now not earning credit for any of it.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by uxb
Agreed with others. GOL competes in Brasil and maybe a handful of cities outside Brasil, but that's it. We're presently screwed for flights within SA if we want to stay OW. It's not a huge deal since you can't travel around SA without having to connect in a hub like SCL, LIM, GRU or EZE, but still. You are now not earning credit for any of it.
Credit for flights is much less of an issue in my opinion (most LATAM intra-SA flights were inexpensive, so earned relatively small amounts to OneWorld). Much more important were the OneWorld elite benefits on LATAM. e.g. using the signature black check-in line at Santiago for LATAM domestic was a huge benefit and time-saver. If I had had to use normal check-in lines at SCL in the past few years I can't count the number of LATAM domestic connecting flights I would probably have missed, while with the short priority line I made the connections fine.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 9:27 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by percysmith
Consolation prize
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
I'm not sure if that's post-May or post-Oct. CX has not made it clear, but anyway this is AA forum so irrelevant.
Just for the record, and I'm sorry for posting this on AA forum, it is post-May per https://www.asiamiles.com/en/support...exits-oneworld
percysmith likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 10:28 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
From aa.com and the Wikipost:

April 30, 2020 is the last day to earn and redeem miles on LATAM. All award travel must be booked and ticketed by April 30, 2020. Travel is valid for 1 year after ticketing date and must be flown no later than April 30, 2021. Ticket changes will not be allowed after April 30, 2020.

Old Feb 28, 2020, 11:00 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
latam reservation is opened for 330 only.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 3:37 am

Can anyone please confirm if last date to reserve a LATAM award is 3/30 or 4/30? For some reason I also had in my head the date was 3/30 also.

I have a LATAM award flight booked mid-August, as part of a trip departing 28 July on Air Tahiti Nu. Although it's unlikely there's any LATAM Award availability still out for AA - I searched BA a few days ago and there was nothing through the end of the calendar- end of July seems very doubtful my trip will happen.

If the Wiki is correct at 4/30, at least there's another month for an Award to pop up so I can push the trip out rather than loose it. :-( Unlikely, but possible.

Edit: Found answer on AA website. 4/30 - JDiver absolutely correct. (as he most often is!) 🙂 Now if only another award flight can be found that easily.

Last edited by cmtlatitudes; Mar 30, 2020 at 6:23 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.