Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Piedmont dba American Eagle ground stop 23 Sep 2019

Old Sep 23, 2019, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM HH Gold, Marriot Titanium

Good day all. I'm currently at RIC and have been told there is an ongoing ground stop to all American Eagle/Piedmont flights due to a fiber cut in Salisbury, MD.

Frustrating experience as I wasn't able to rebook for a while as despite the stop and cancelation of the inbound until 10 minutes after our scheduled departure. Inbound had been canceled for 90 minutes by that point. When will AA get it's IT in order?
Old Sep 23, 2019, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Also, can we ditch the E145s (and Piedmont) already?
Old Sep 23, 2019, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by timmy83
Good day all. I'm currently at RIC and have been told there is an ongoing ground stop to all American Eagle/Piedmont flights due to a fiber cut in Salisbury, MD.

Frustrating experience as I wasn't able to rebook for a while as despite the stop and cancelation of the inbound until 10 minutes after our scheduled departure. Inbound had been canceled for 90 minutes by that point. When will AA get it's IT in order?
There's definitely a huge problem with Piedmont today, while the rest of the AA operation runs like clockwork -- as it has been doing for several weeks now. As we all know, bad stuff sometimes happens in the complicated world of commercial aviation. Why do you think it's an "IT mistake" by AA? You say you were told it's a "fiber cut." I'm guessing AA didn't cut that fiber?
Old Sep 23, 2019, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iahphx
There's definitely a huge problem with Piedmont today, while the rest of the AA operation runs like clockwork -- as it has been doing for several weeks now. As we all know, bad stuff sometimes happens in the complicated world of commercial aviation. Why do you think it's an "IT mistake" by AA? You say you were told it's a "fiber cut." I'm guessing AA didn't cut that fiber?
My comment was about the IT status relating to posting cancelations - perhaps it's not IT but operations. Why does the time of departure have to pass before they'll even post a delay when it's clear there is no plane present. I'm not disputing the information given about the fiber. I just wanted to rebook and was unable to.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by iahphx
while the rest of the AA operation runs like clockwork -- as it has been doing for several weeks now.
HAHAHAHAHAH...oh man that's a good one.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 3:45 pm

Programs: OW Emerald
When will AA get it's IT in order?
I don't think anyone on FT will be able to definitively answer this question.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 4:00 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
My comment was about the IT status relating to posting cancelations - perhaps it's not IT but operations. Why does the time of departure have to pass before they'll even post a delay when it's clear there is no plane present. I'm not disputing the information given about the fiber. I just wanted to rebook and was unable to.
That's operations, not IT. And that's been going on for as long as I can remember with AA. They just suck at keeping passengers (and employees) informed on delays. I've been at small outstations where there are no AA planes there or even incoming and it's already past the departure time for my flight where you see on the big screen (and app and website) the ON TIME status. While airport operations are complex and difficult, AA just completely sucks at it. Other airlines find ways to keep passengers better informed, and they have operations that are just as complex.

At the end of the day, with their oligopoly, they just don't care.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 4:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Sure, if you want more CRJ-200's.
Daze, MisterTanaka, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 4:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP/OWE, Marriott Ambassador
Good luck with that!
Old Sep 23, 2019, 4:19 pm

My wife is stuck in PHL, as her 4:50 PM PI flight was cancelled, on a route where there is only one N/S flight a day. The gate agents initial position was incredibly, this is not our fault, and you are on you own. This then changed to the GA issuing meal vouchers, and it looks like a hotel voucher will now be forthcoming.

Good luck to you.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 4:43 pm

Programs: CK or bust
From http://www.wboc.com/story/41088052/c...flight-delays:

SALISBURY, Md. - The Piedmont Airlines control center in Salisbury was out of service on Monday as a result of a fiber cut that impacted the city. All Piedmont-operated flights were grounded, including those in and out of the Salisbury-Wicomico Regional Airport.

Piedmont is a regional airline for American Airlines and its headquarters are in Salisbury. Travelers on Monday afternoon grew frustrated as they waited to board their flights.

Troy Butler was trying to catch a connecting flight to Philadelphia. "I got here, parked, went inside, found out that I can't leave until like 6," he says. "I was like okay I'll go outside and just take in the sunshine."

Charlee Brown is originally from Salisbury. She was traveling with her family back to Mississippi when they arrived at the airport with no word on when they would take off. "They just said they were down and everything was basically up in the air right now. We could have made more visits to people I didn't get to see while I was down there."

American's Mainline Operations were not affected. American Airlines tells WBOC "We apologize to our customers for the inconvenience as we work to resolve the issue as quickly as possible."
How they don't have better backbone connectivity diversification in this day and age is quite something!
Old Sep 23, 2019, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by DCP2016
Sure, if you want more CRJ-200's.
Agreed. Nothing worse than a CRJ.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 6:35 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
AE was busing people from MDT to PHL today as a result of the issue. While a nice gesture, it's a 2-hour drive from MDT to PHL without traffic so tight connections are blown.
RoyalFlush and wrp96 like this.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ryan182
HAHAHAHAHAH...oh man that's a good one.
They are running an excellent operation. Look at the stats. Like today, mainline has a grand total of 5 cancellations systemwide and, at the moment 88% on time. That's typical of the current operation.

With the fiber cut, Piedmont today is decimated. 140 cancellations.

https://flightaware.com/live/cancelled
Old Sep 23, 2019, 7:06 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
A friend of mine was trying to fly TYS-CLT and his flight was cancelled. He was trying for alternates (ultimate destination IND), and it sounds like he eventually got on a TYS-ORD flight. He didn't know what was gong on, but this makes sense.

Somehow I barely avoided this. I flew LEX-CLT at 1:45pm today, and the flight left fine. It seemed we got to the gate at CLT very quickly (for CLT at least), and my CLT-AUS flight arrived about 20 min early (and it is always fast to the gate at AUS).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.