Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Can AA disclose easily understandable fare rules

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2019, 11:28 am
Original Poster

How can we make AA disclose fare rules so they are easy to read and understand? Example : AA Flexible fares often have penalties and are NOT FULLY REFUNDABLE. AA does not even have fully refundable in all caps on some fares.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 12:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
AA's fare rules are roughly the same as DL & UA's, as well as other IATA carriers. They are clear and concise, just long and boring. That is because they cover thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of permutations and it is impossible to say, at the time the fare rule is filed, what one given traveler will find important.

Combinability may not matter to you, but it may matter to me.

The refundability issue seems clear. If the fare is refundable without penalty, no penalty is specified. If it is refundable, but there is a penalty, the penalty is specified.
trooper likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 12:22 pm

Are they not easy to read?

The’re annoying to get to, but whence there, a quick review of the penalties section tells you all you need to know.
Often1 likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 12:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Often1
AA's fare rules are roughly the same as DL & UA's, as well as other IATA carriers. They are clear and concise, just long and boring. That is because they cover thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of permutations and it is impossible to say, at the time the fare rule is filed, what one given traveler will find important.

Combinability may not matter to you, but it may matter to me.

The refundability issue seems clear. If the fare is refundable without penalty, no penalty is specified. If it is refundable, but there is a penalty, the penalty is specified.
Apart from the fact that "concise" and "long" are opposites, I tend to agree with you. TIMATIC (when researching visa related rules) is a similar beast, a bit intimidating at first glance because it covers a vast number of variables, but not so difficult once you get the hang of it (e.g. learn to search based on specific standard keywords).
Often1 likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 6:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
My issue is that they hide the fare code basis...so you cannot look up the fare rules. You need to hold it, call them (or ask your TA) then look it up.

They suck. This is a willful obfuscation to make it more difficult for a consumer to protect them self. IMO
Gig103 likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 7:28 pm

Programs: AA, Amex
"Easy to understand" (or not) is a very subjective assessment....
Old Sep 21, 2019, 10:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Fare rules are perfectly understandable, and a "dumbing down" would be a waste of resources IMHO.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
AA's fare rules are roughly the same as DL & UA's, as well as other IATA carriers. They are clear and concise, just long and boring. .
Delta makes it easier to know if you have a refundable fare as it says fully refundable. You do not have to go searching for the fare basis rules
Old Sep 21, 2019, 10:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Centurion
Delta makes it easier to know if you have a refundable fare as it says fully refundable. You do not have to go searching for the fare basis rules
With AA (and pretty much every other airline), all your need to do is search for "penalty".
Old Sep 21, 2019, 11:03 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
My issue is that they hide the fare code basis...so you cannot look up the fare rules. You need to hold it, call them (or ask your TA) then look it up.

They suck. This is a willful obfuscation to make it more difficult for a consumer to protect them self. IMO
No, they don’t, actually. If you look at the detailed fare rules, and I dare say you should every time (because if you’ve more than one flight they might actually have different fare codes and rules - but normally the most restrictive rules will apply throughout the PNR).
Old Sep 22, 2019, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JDiver
No, they don’t, actually. If you look at the detailed fare rules, and I dare say you should every time (because if you’ve more than one flight they might actually have different fare codes and rules - but normally the most restrictive rules will apply throughout the PNR).
But that's like saying that you go to the gas station and have 45 nozzles and a binder explaining exactly what components need to be mixed in what order to make 93 octane petrol. Yes, it is doable, but a ludicrous expectation.

I booked a CX J flight and it spells out the fee for no show, canceling, changes etc. In a neat email. QR, same thing. AA and the US3 can easily do the same. They choose not to, the same way that paper vouchers are still a thing - make things painful enough and you can extract some extra revenue.
enpremiere and justforfun like this.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 6:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Antarius
But that's like saying that you go to the gas station and have 45 nozzles and a binder explaining exactly what components need to be mixed in what order to make 93 octane petrol. Yes, it is doable, but a ludicrous expectation.

I booked a CX J flight and it spells out the fee for no show, canceling, changes etc. In a neat email. QR, same thing. AA and the US3 can easily do the same. They choose not to, the same way that paper vouchers are still a thing - make things painful enough and you can extract some extra revenue.
Analogies never work.

OP is not at a gas station with 45 nozzles. He is at his laptop looking at potential journeys and wants to know a specific fact, e.g. whether a ticket will be refundable and, if so, on what terms.

The next person is sitting at their laptop and wants to know whether two fares are combinable and, if so, on what terms. And, a third person wants to know if a stopover or open jaw is permitted.

What OP is complaining about is that carriers have responded to consumer demand by providing fully refundable and refundable with penalty fares. The former are, as the term implies, fully refundable down to the last center. The latter are refundable, but with a penalty.

If this stuff is unimportant, just click the "I Accept" button/box and move on. If it is significant to you, then read it. Carefully, as it matters.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Or, they need to cover a wide variety of situations, and also need to be worded with an eye towards litigation. And don't they need to be vetted by some government agency, as well? Those factor are bound to make them long and sometimes complex.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 9:39 am

It’s at the Top of the detailed fare rules page, it’s not hidden and there’s certainly no need to call.
Often1 likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 9:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH DIA, Hyatt DIA
Agree that it's hard for a leisure travel to fully understand the rules .. but have to disagree that the fare rules are hidden and that you have to call in. Before checking out there is a clear link to the fare rules with all the relevant details you need:

Which opens up the following:
Often1 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.