FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   American Airlines passenger pops blister, splashes seatmates with blood: 'Disgusting' (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1988133-american-airlines-passenger-pops-blister-splashes-seatmates-blood-disgusting.html)

OregonMan Sep 20, 2019 11:01 am

American Airlines passenger pops blister, splashes seatmates with blood: 'Disgusting'

So. Gross. Could have happened on any airline of course.

https://www.foxnews.com/travel/ameri...-blood-blister

dls25 Sep 20, 2019 11:21 am

A) Gross. If I had been in that cabin the cleaners would be wiping up her blood and vacuuming up my vomit. Yuck.
B) Another demonstration that the premium classes are not always classy...

MSPeconomist Sep 20, 2019 11:25 am

This doesn't make sense. AFAIK a normal blister (for example, caused by friction from walking in shoes that don't fit properly) is filled with clear fluid. When such a blister pops, there shouldn't be blood.

OregonMan Sep 20, 2019 11:31 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31545750)
This doesn't make sense. AFAIK a normal blister (for example, caused by friction from walking in shoes that don't fit properly) is filled with clear fluid. When such a blister pops, there shouldn't be blood.

I wondered about that myself. Apparently, a friction blister can turn into a blood blister.

https://blisterprevention.com.au/blo...blood-blisters

uxb Sep 20, 2019 11:42 am

+1, I once got a really bad sunburn in Bali towards the end of my holiday. I flew back to the states via BKK > NRT > LAX (if I remember correctly). I had sought medical attention before I left Bali, but by time I boarded the flight to LAX, I had a blister the size of a golf ball on one of my arms. When my dermatologist lanced it, nothing but clear fluid came out. What likely happened in this instance was that it was the mother of all zits. :D

zarkov505 Sep 20, 2019 12:01 pm

That's the new Premium Economy seat.

I just did twelve hours in one (NRT-DFW). Not my idea of comfortable.

enviroian Sep 20, 2019 12:23 pm

This is gross and a bio-hazard. I feel for the neighboring passengers.

That being said does Fox news have to use a 788 for it's "stock footage". Would it kill them to show the proper equipment? The day Parker starts flying dreamliners into Nashville is the day I start flying Spirit.

Madison Guy Sep 20, 2019 6:48 pm

Sadly, some procedures (such as a dermatologist freezing a wart with liquid nitrogen) can and frequently does result in a very large blister engorged to purple with blood. (Sorry for the graphics, but as they say, it is what it is!) Of course (what I consider to be a reasonable person) would keep it covered, socks and shoes on and in the course of a week or so the fluids generally dissipate and the remaining scab can be removed. Sadly, I have had this procedure performed multiple times, but thankfully I've never left it exposed to prematurely rupture. But just wanted to point out that blood filled blisters can and do occur. I shared one example of how.

Lomapaseo Sep 20, 2019 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by OregonMan (Post 31545764)
I wondered about that myself. Apparently, a friction blister can turn into a blood blister.

https://blisterprevention.com.au/blo...blood-blisters

Fear not, from the color on the book it was mostly pus

Most blisters are filled with a clear fluid called serum, which is the part of the blood that remains after red blood cells and clotting agents have been removed

ryan182 Sep 20, 2019 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by Lomapaseo (Post 31547232)

I very much doubt that fact is comforting to the passengers who subjected this persons bodily fluid being sprayed on them. Somehow this isn't yet on passengershaming's instagram but I suspect that will be sorted soon. This is beyond gross but it does sound like AA handled it pretty well, so there's that!

MSPeconomist Sep 20, 2019 9:37 pm

Did the passenger actively pop the blister or was this something that just happened, so that the fault is in not covering the blister and/or wearing shoes and socks on board? The word "pop" could either mean that the passenger did it (like the Dr Pimple Popper connotations) or that it just popped accidentally of its own accord without any action by anyone.

Dr. HFH Sep 21, 2019 6:24 am

I would be inclined to ask that police and medical staff meet the flight. Who knows what kinds of diseases the person might be carrying.

seigex Sep 21, 2019 10:32 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31547282)
Did the passenger actively pop the blister or was this something that just happened, so that the fault is in not covering the blister and/or wearing shoes and socks on board? The word "pop" could either mean that the passenger did it (like the Dr Pimple Popper connotations) or that it just popped accidentally of its own accord without any action by anyone.

One of the articles mentioned she was barefoot, so the blister wasn't covered.

cmtlatitudes Sep 21, 2019 10:51 am

Hmnn. I see a "closed shoe policy" or "socks at all times policy" coming.

Unfortunate for the majority of passengers that are respectful in flip-flops and sandals. But this is a really gross story. It wouldn't surprise me to see a new rule resulting from it.

OregonMan Sep 21, 2019 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by Lomapaseo (Post 31547232)

Definitely still fear! :eek: I would have freaked out a bit if I was the one getting splashed, and I spend a good amount of time in hospital patient areas as part of my job, so in general aren't too squeamish.

From my reading of different articles I don't get the feeling that the person was actively 'popping' the blister, but it still baffles me when people fail to cover up various wounds and other skin ailments while flying.