ERJ First Class Bin Hogs

Old Sep 20, 19, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
ERJ First Class Bin Hogs

Ok, so it has been a while since we have had a good ‘right to put a bag’ conversation, but it really stinks that, particularly on an ERJ that folks in F put their backpacks in the large-side overhead. There were at least three people with nothing under their seat, one of which you could tell was feeling a little guilty about putting his only bag in the overhead.

I just went back to coach with my bag and decided to air my differences here.

And, no, I’m not talking about folks in the bulkhead.

Yours truly from AA3672
deeruck, GlobalMatt and cmd320 like this.
Old Sep 20, 19, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IME of reading many of these threads, the majority think that *every* passenger is entitled to put ONE bag in the overhead. If they checked one, then they can put their backpack above and have full use of the legroom. Ideally the FAs should encourage pax to put smaller bags on the smaller side bins (can’t recall how big they are on the 175/190s, but they’re pretty tiny on CRJs). But beyond that, first come first served.
mmgm, chrisny2, KBMIFlyer and 6 others like this.
Old Sep 20, 19, 10:35 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott GLD; Hilton GLD; Free Agent (former AA PLT/US GLD)
When I don't have a rollaboard, my backpack doesn't fit in the small-side bins, so I put it in an overhead bin that does fit.

Why do you feel more entitled to the space under the seat in front of you than the people you describe as "hogs"?

Last edited by Beltway2A; Sep 20, 19 at 1:31 pm
Old Sep 20, 19, 10:53 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat
I agree with 1 bag in overhead bin. Even the announcements from FA say something to that effect - if you have two bags please put one under the seat in front or you.

Maybe they checked their other bag so that they could have more legroom. Doesn’t mean that they should give up their legroom just because others didn’t check theirs.
Old Sep 20, 19, 11:04 am

It's so insane to me that someone can be described as a bag hog for bringing a backpack and not wanting it to obstruct their leg room by people with huge roller bags that take up half a bin on their own. These kind of complaints feel like the rock bottom for self awareness.

"How DARE that person want to use some of the communal storage space offered to all of us? They should have known I'd be bringing my giant roller bag and would thus need more than 1 passenger worth of bag space. How could these people not realize I'd need that???"
Old Sep 20, 19, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
IME of reading many of these threads, the majority think that *every* passenger is entitled to put ONE bag in the overhead. If they checked one, then they can put their backpack above and have full use of the legroom. Ideally the FAs should encourage pax to put smaller bags on the smaller side bins (can’t recall how big they are on the 175/190s, but they’re pretty tiny on CRJs). But beyond that, first come first served.
Agreed - 1 bag, and it’s going in the overhead regardless of size. I’m not going to be penalized for packing light. 2 bags... one goes under the seat unless you’re in a bulkhead seat. Putting two bags in the overhead is wrong. Except on Oasis birds where you don’t have a choice if you’re in a FC aisle seat.
Old Sep 20, 19, 11:08 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Except the front row - they have to put 2 bags in the overhead....
Old Sep 20, 19, 11:09 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT GOLD, RC PLAT PREM
I always carry a backpack and put it in the overhead bin like I am entitled to being an F Passenger. Why should I lose my leg space because some person wants to bring a giant roller board onto a small plane, refuse to gate check it and then want the whole bin to themselves?

sorry ,, but not sorry.
Old Sep 20, 19, 11:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
These are all nice ideas about the way one might want things to be. But, they are not. The bottom line is that this is entirely up to the FA.

I do routinely see FA's pull smaller bags from the OH and hand them back to passengers to stow under the seat in front of them (and threaten to gate check them when people don't quickly claim them). The line about having checked one's larger bag or only traveling with a smaller backpack and therefore being "entitled" to that space in the OH never works.. That is because it should not.
ashill likes this.
Old Sep 20, 19, 11:14 am

For those roller haters — Backpacks are usually a gender thing so please don’t hate rollers.
Women in general don’t like backpacks as airplane carry ons.
Who wants to carry a 7 pound bag on their shoulders? Big or small, my carry on will have wheels no matter what. I personally own like 6 kinds of carry on sizes of rollers I kid you not.
Old Sep 20, 19, 11:15 am

Programs: AA: PP, LTG/1.5M | UA: SLV | Bonvoy LTT | IHG Mbr| Hertz 5 Star | Nat'l Emerald Club EE
As it happens, I prefer bulkhead seats...this is usually a non-issue for me.
Beachfun71 likes this.
Old Sep 20, 19, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
These are all nice ideas about the way one might want things to be. But, they are not. The bottom line is that this is entirely up to the FA.

I do routinely see FA's pull smaller bags from the OH and hand them back to passengers to stow under the seat in front of them (and threaten to gate check them when people don't quickly claim them). The line about having checked one's larger bag or only traveling with a smaller backpack and therefore being "entitled" to that space in the OH never works.. That is because it should not.
Generally true but this is the F cabin and FAs are usually more lenient here.

Come to think of it, I don’t recall ever witnessing an FA asking someone in F to take their bag back down and put under the seat in front of them, have you

Last edited by bunkunu; Sep 20, 19 at 11:22 am
Old Sep 20, 19, 11:59 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
I don't really care as long as those with backpacks on remember they can't rotate their bodies without slamming someone in the face. It never ceases to amaze me how often people do this.

Otherwise, I agree with others that if one only brings one bag on they're certainly entitled to put it in the overhead bin.

Is this really an AA issue? Or should this be in one of the other forums.
ijgordon, Gerbs, polinka and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 20, 19, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by anaggie View Post
I always carry a backpack and put it in the overhead bin like I am entitled to being an F Passenger. Why should I lose my leg space because some person wants to bring a giant roller board onto a small plane, refuse to gate check it and then want the whole bin to themselves?

sorry ,, but not sorry.
I agree. I usually carry on a backpack. I should not have to remove my backpack from the bin so someone with a rollaboard can put it there.
Why be penalized for bringing less onboard?

Last edited by mvoight; Sep 20, 19 at 1:33 pm
Old Sep 20, 19, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by USFlyerUS View Post

Is this really an AA issue? Or should this be in one of the other forums.
I am guessing this was prompted by an incident on an AA flight where OP was sitting in F and couldn’t find space for his overhead and therefore had to put it up in the main cabin

Search this Thread
Search Engine: