Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ERJ First Class Bin Hogs

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2019, 6:42 am

Programs: A: PP, LTG/1.5M | UA: SLV | Bonvoy LTTi | IHG PLT| Avis PC | Nat'l Emerald Club EE
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Technically you are correct about first-come, first-served, full stop. However since we are talking about travel on a "common" carrier, one can choose to be considerate of others, or one can choose to be a selfish prick.
Painting with rather a broad brush there, gordo...

Originally Posted by Beachfun71
Today I flew CMH->ORD on a CRJ700, in 2D. I checked one bag and carried on a backpack.

My backpack went overhead.

My feet were free.

I do not feel bad about myself.
Apparently you are a "selfish prick" though...

Originally Posted by MathMusic
As someone who usually travels with just a backback and a checked bag, on these small regional jets with 9 seats of FC, three people end up in bulkhead seats where everything has to go up. And that includes my backpack. I know space is limited and I'll put my backpack in front of me if I can, but if I'm in 1A its gotta go in the large side bin as the small side fits almost nothing.
I very seldom check a bag unless on a trip longer than 5 days or requiring more than one suit (or when traveling with my wife, which is a horse of a different feather...). Consequently my usual load-out is a backpack and roll-aboard*; if I know there's a leg on a small jet, it's the smaller of the B&Rs in the closet. In any case, it all goes up top when I'm in the bulkhead (which is most of the time).

Originally Posted by cmd320
...When you’re seated in the bulkhead you have no other choice. Personally I think the first bin on each side should be reserved for bulkhead passengers only. Some crew do this by leaving them closed, others aren’t as proactive.
I appreciate when crew do this, but do not expect it...

Originally Posted by Spanish
I do love 1A on the regionals, excellent window placement for a good view (but sometimes scratched)...
This is why I prefer the bulkhead window opposite the boarding door, as far as the view goes. I actually prefer the bulkhead because there's no seat to lean back into me; which leaves the space in front of me unencumbered; which I very much prefer.

Originally Posted by Spanish
... [being seated in a bulkhead seat and knowing ALL my stuff MUST go in the overhead] Gives me boarding anxiety!
Ditto...

...I don't play the gate lice game and queue for boarding clogging up the middle of the gatehouse...
I do, whenever travelling in the bulkhead (which is usually, as it's my preference), for all the reasons mentioned above. And I don't give a fart in the wind what anyone thinks about me standing there so my stuff can go into a bin that won't require swimming up-stream to retrieve bags when de-planing...

* PS: It's "roll-aboard". Say it with me folks: ROLL. ABOARD. As in: it's a bag that you can roll aboard instead of carry (lug) aboard... /rant off/. Sorry; pet peeve...

cheers!
Old Sep 26, 2019, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AAir_head
Painting with rather a broad brush there, gordo...

Apparently you are a "selfish prick" though...
Incorrect, try reading.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 9:35 am

Programs: A: PP, LTG/1.5M | UA: SLV | Bonvoy LTTi | IHG PLT| Avis PC | Nat'l Emerald Club EE
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Incorrect, try reading.
Incorrect, try reading yourself.

I inferred (or perhaps, you implied) that if one were to be categorized as "considerate of others" as opposed to "a selfish prick", one would not use overhead space if there were a seat in front with space underneath it (checked bag or not).

Beachfun71 checked a bag, and there's no version of an AA CR7 in which 2D is a bulkhead; ipso facto, I must conclude you would categorize Beachfun71 as "a selfish prick" since clearly there was space under 1D in which to stuff a backpack...

Oh, nevermind...
Beachfun71 likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 9:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA Exp
I put a bag up. You put a bag up. What difference does it make how bags you have with you. You do you and I’ll do me.
If I have one bag or two. I put one up. I don’t see the problem. If you have two bags and you PICK the bulkhead. Be considerate and check one. No?
Old Oct 1, 2019, 5:15 am

Programs: BA Exec
Only one answer to all this nonsense, and to the mad scramble to board in order to grab that bin space. Do away with bins. The only bag you can take on board must fit under the seat in front of you (small overheads only for bulkead and emergency exit rows). Airlines charge per kg for everything that goes in the hold (minimum charge 5kg). Airlines all rush to improve their delivery to reclaim belt time. No more fights - zen-like calm.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 5:20 am

Programs: FB Gold, SAS pleb, Norwegian
Indeed. This is my pet-peeve. Unless I'm very lucky, I'm usually in the back and, frankly, the "space under the seat in front of me" is needed for my feet. Having my 12L rucksack and fleece returned to me so that they can try to shoehorn in yet another 'steamer-trunk' is guaranteed to put me in a foul mood. There's always a measuring-gauge at the gate, so why not upset the people who are the root of the problem instead of those who have packed sensibly?
Old Oct 1, 2019, 5:27 am

When I'm traveling with a backpack (usually a 20-30L), I've taken to carrying a tiny purse (2L ish) so that I can say my small bag is under the seat and still have somewhere to put my giant legs. At a 35" inseam, I'm going to have a bad time regardless, but being able to stretch my legs under the seat provides a little relief.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 5:44 am

Programs: Premier United, Silver American, Gold Hilton Honors
As a person who is on the taller side, I try to use the space in front of me for extra leg room vs an actual bag.

I have also seen FA use the bin space in first class for their own items, so it may not just be those in first class
ikswoktiwk likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 6:01 am

Agree with the OP. There's nothing more frustrating getting on one of these aircraft (or any aircraft really) to find 50% of the bin space wasted by backpacks/small items which will easily fit under the seat. In the end, if it really comes down to it, I will personally rearrange peoples' crap Tetris style to make things fit, or if I feel as though I'm holding up boarding and have no other option, I'll just toss my rollaboard in the bin longways in front of the backpacks using the necessary force to shove it in and close the bin. Backpacks belong under the seat in front of you, if the entire cabin has boarded and there's still space, then by all means, toss your backpack overhead (bulkheads excepted).
When you are over 6’6” the space under the seat in front of you is for your feet as to prevent your knees from being crushed when the passenger decides to recline. For this reason my rollerboard and back pack get stowed in the OH bin.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 6:09 am

I've never ever understood why people need to use the overhead bins. Put it under the seat in front of you for takeoff/landing and for the rest of the flight put it under your legs to make full use of the legroom while still having access to your stuff (which is presumably why you took it on board with you in the first place).
deeruck, cmd320 and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by ikswoktiwk
When you are over 6’6” the space under the seat in front of you is for your feet as to prevent your knees from being crushed when the passenger decides to recline. For this reason my rollerboard and back pack get stowed in the OH bin.
If you want to have two bags and put zero in the overhead bin, you should be checking one of them. There's finite space in the bins and AA is actually explicit that if you have two carry-ons, one of them needs to go under the seat in front of you. You don't get a separate set of rules because you can reach stuff on the top shelf.
iskingolf, cmd320 and mhrb like this.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 6:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Comments seem to fall into these strategies. Clearly, though, people's assessment of how acceptable these approaches are varies. My take is in parentheses:
  1. If I board with just a personal item, I'll put it under the seat. (Very courteous/considerate)
  2. If I board with just a personal item, I'll put it overhead (Reasonable, nobody should object)
  3. If I board with a roller and a personal item, I'll put only the roller overhead (Expected/directed behavior)
  4. If I board first, I'll put my roller, personal item, and maybe a coat overhead (Entitled jerk)
As a 1K on United, I pre-board and always have plenty of space whether I'm in F or Y. But, I don't abuse that. I put my personal item (could be a bulky laptop bag or backpack) under the seat, at least until boarding is complete. On a recent flight, I saw a woman board early with a huge roller (would never have fit the sizer) that had to be stored overhead the long way. She then put her oversized personal item up top, too, consuming an entire bin that could have fit at least three compliant rollers. Just being elite doesn't make you a better person.
_kurt likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 6:30 am

In the US do FA not force-check oversized bags as a matter of course?
Old Oct 1, 2019, 6:57 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Delta, American
I would fall into txirish' category 3. I am always in UA group 1 and yes, I wait at the gate 10 minutes before boarding to increase my chances of getting my compliant roller bag in the bin as I never check bags unless I am traveling with my wife. The roller goes overhead wheels in and the often over stuffed laptop bag (not a back pack fan) goes under the seat in front of me. But because I'm usually in premium economy or an exit row, no big deal. Never put the laptop in the upper bin in addition to the roller, that is just inconsiderate.

Follow the golden rule and treat others as you would like to be treated. It's my choice not to check, therefore it's also my choice to have my feet compete with my laptop bag under the seat.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 7:59 am

Programs: Aer Lingus
Overhead bins

This does my head!!
1. How on earth are such large items allowed on board in the first place?
2. Sometimes I book a premium seat which just means a seat near the front, only to board to find that the over bins are already stuffed by pax that have boarded ahead of me.seated further back, but cant find space above their own seats so just stuff them anywhere as soon as they enter the cabin, knowing they can easily collect as they pass by leaving the plane.
3. Sometimes the luggage / stuff they bring on board can't even be put up in the bins by the crew!!
Please please would the staff at the boarding gates just stop pax bringing their home contents on board!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.