Wiki Posts
Search

ERJ First Class Bin Hogs

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2019, 12:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by bunkunu
Generally true but this is the F cabin and FAs are usually more lenient here.

Come to think of it, I don’t recall ever witnessing an FA asking someone in F to take their bag back down and put under the seat in front of them, have you
I am talking about AA.

I don't think that FA's are more lenient, it is simply that there are more cubic inches of OH space per pax in F (2-1 or 2-2 seating + increased pitch) and thus a better chance that there isn't an OH issue at all. Especially because F largely boards first and that means that the rear row of the F cabin gets the use of the entire bin including the first row of Y.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 1:04 pm

Overhead bin space... one of those polarizing FT topics.

If I only have a backpack, I'm fine putting it under the seat so others may use the overhead for a rollaboard and not (potentially) need to check in. We've all been there, so hopefully I'll benefit from this down the road.

Of course, there are those people who think it's acceptable to put a suitcase, backpack and raincoat in the bin. It's not. Just because you can do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.
Catbert10 likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 1:11 pm
formerly Sleepy_Sentry

For those roller haters — Backpacks are usually a gender thing so please don’t hate rollers.
Women in general don’t like backpacks as airplane carry ons.
Who wants to carry a 7 pound bag on their shoulders? Big or small, my carry on will have wheels no matter what. I personally own like 6 kinds of carry on sizes of rollers I kid you not.
Backpacks are not a gender thing. Please don't perpetuate sexist stereotypes.
Madison Guy and sambagrrl07 like this.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 2:13 pm

I think the real problem is the incredibly slow delivery of bags. I'd be more than happy to check my bag if I knew it would be waiting for me (or delivered within maybe five minutes) at the baggage claim. I simply don't want to play the waiting game.
apeortdz and Spanish like this.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by Sleepy_Sentry
Backpacks are not a gender thing. Please don't perpetuate sexist stereotypes.
This is not a sexist stereotype
it is a statistical fact
Women when boarding flights carry less (non-tiny-backpack-purse) backpacks than men, and rollers (small wheeled briefcases or spinners) instead.

here is another statistical fact :
women have more liquids when going through security
would you consider this a sexist stereotype also?

P.S. I realize this is less about weight as it is about women don't like having sweaty backs (totally gross), which is hard to avoid with the backpack situation when in transit to gate

P.P.S. actually, when is the last time (actually, when EVER) have you seen a female schlepping one of those mid- to large-size Tumi/Briggs & Riley/other ballistic nylon business/laptop backpacks on their backs when boarding a plane? Cereal.
cmd320 likes this.

Last edited by bunkunu; Sep 20, 2019 at 5:51 pm
Old Sep 20, 2019, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by ShortDog
I think the real problem is the incredibly slow delivery of bags. I'd be more than happy to check my bag if I knew it would be waiting for me (or delivered within maybe five minutes) at the baggage claim. I simply don't want to play the waiting game.
Many people would disagree with that sentiment. I suspect a good majority of people get annoyed when they have to gate check a bag, even though they will get it on the jetbridge on arrival with a typical wait time of only 5-7 minutes.

People are impatient.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
I am talking about AA.

I don't think that FA's are more lenient, it is simply that there are more cubic inches of OH space per pax in F (2-1 or 2-2 seating + increased pitch) and thus a better chance that there isn't an OH issue at all. Especially because F largely boards first and that means that the rear row of the F cabin gets the use of the entire bin including the first row of Y.
Hence by design
According to your train of thought technically speaking those who board first even In economy would be the ones who have their smaller items in OH. And then as you mention FAs will pull out of OH to accommodate larger item. They could do this to someone in 2nd row of economy to accommodate roller of passenger in say 15th row. But they wouldn’t do this to passenger in last row of F to accommodate roller of passenger in 2nd row of economy. But if extra OH space in F later on in boarding phase, they will use that space to accommodate roller of passenger in say 2nd row of economy (or even much farther back). But if small backpack in OH for F passenger in the way, they will not take it down and make F passenger put under seat like they would in the aforementioned scenario in economy for 2nd row passenger. Hence no, it is by design but also due to F cabin as F cabin
Old Sep 20, 2019, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by dave_261
Many people would disagree with that sentiment. I suspect a good majority of people get annoyed when they have to gate check a bag, even though they will get it on the jetbridge on arrival with a typical wait time of only 5-7 minutes.

People are impatient.
Or have separation anxiety, like me
Old Sep 20, 2019, 5:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Hence by design
According to your train of thought technically speaking those who board first even In economy would be the ones who have their smaller items in OH. And then as you mention FAs will pull out of OH to accommodate larger item. They could do this to someone in 2nd row of economy to accommodate roller of passenger in say 15th row. But they wouldn’t do this to passenger in last row of F to accommodate roller of passenger in 2nd row of economy. But if extra OH space in F later on in boarding phase, they will use that space to accommodate roller of passenger in say 2nd row of economy (or even much farther back). But if small backpack in OH for F passenger in the way, they will not take it down and make F passenger put under seat like they would in the aforementioned scenario in economy for 2nd row passenger. Hence no, it is by design but also due to F cabin as F cabin
I don't agree that this is the practice at all. When FA's remove a smaller bag from the OH, they remove it. Last second gate checks are a PITA to an ontime departure and FA's will do pretty much anything to get the bags which have been dragged onboard to remain onboard.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
I don't agree that this is the practice at all. When FA's remove a smaller bag from the OH, they remove it. Last second gate checks are a PITA to an ontime departure and FA's will do pretty much anything to get the bags which have been dragged onboard to remain onboard.
but have you ever witnessed ever, this happening to someone in F.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Agree with the OP. There's nothing more frustrating getting on one of these aircraft (or any aircraft really) to find 50% of the bin space wasted by backpacks/small items which will easily fit under the seat. In the end, if it really comes down to it, I will personally rearrange peoples' crap Tetris style to make things fit, or if I feel as though I'm holding up boarding and have no other option, I'll just toss my rollaboard in the bin longways in front of the backpacks using the necessary force to shove it in and close the bin. Backpacks belong under the seat in front of you, if the entire cabin has boarded and there's still space, then by all means, toss your backpack overhead (bulkheads excepted).
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 8:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cmd320
..or if I feel as though I'm holding up boarding and have no other option, I'll just toss my rollaboard in the bin longways in front of the backpacks using the necessary force to shove it in and close the bin...
"Charlie...bedtime!"
javabytes and SJWarrior like this.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by JonNYC
"Charlie...bedtime!"
Lol
Old Sep 21, 2019, 12:45 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Legroom and seat width are the only reasons I have for buying F.

i don’t carry a backpack but don’t see why those folks should lose their legroom for the convenience of others. One can check your bag, just is a case of not wanting to.

some folks may check their bag to have more comfort during the flight.

Acting like only one side has a choice isn’t accurate.

I agree that putting small items in the bigger bin when they aren’t the same size is not considerate but easily rectified.
KBMIFlyer and bunkunu like this.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 6:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
Originally Posted by ShortDog
Certain flights I prefer a bulkhead, and generally like to check my luggage so I don't have to worry about such things. Fast luggage delivery should be standard.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.