FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Are you comfortable flying AA? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1988104-you-comfortable-flying-aa.html)

GodAtum Sep 20, 2019 6:33 am

Are you comfortable flying AA?

As a member of an ethnic minority group, I would avoid flying AA due to an increasing number of racist incidents. The latest one https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-49764305

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Sep 20, 2019 7:19 am

Originally Posted by GodAtum (Post 31544816)
As a member of an ethnic minority group, I would avoid flying AA due to an increasing number of racist incidents. The latest one https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-49764305

This article was a joke. Nothing specific was noted and the entire story was not told. Given that people from all cultures board flights on American day in and day out I would seriously doubt that any crew would look at any minority group, including Muslim, and ask for them to be removed. What is your claim that American Airline is having an increase in the number of racist incidents? Moreover I can't believe anyone would actually believe press releases which are aren't about facts anymore but getting eyeballs or clicks.

If someone was removed from a flight it's doubtful it was because of the color of their skin and more than likely they acted in a behavior that would concern the crew enough to want them removed.

LondonElite Sep 20, 2019 7:31 am

I thought this was about seat pitch.

mvoight Sep 20, 2019 7:38 am

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge (Post 31544946)
This article was a joke. Nothing specific was noted and the entire story was not told. Given that people from all cultures board flights on American day in and day out I would seriously doubt that any crew would look at any minority group, including Muslim, and ask for them to be removed. What is your claim that American Airline is having an increase in the number of racist incidents? Moreover I can't believe anyone would actually believe press releases which are aren't about facts anymore but getting eyeballs or clicks.

If someone was removed from a flight it's doubtful it was because of the color of their skin and more than likely they acted in a behavior that would concern the crew enough to want them removed.

"They were travelling separately, but recognised one another from the local Muslim community and waved to each other on board."

I am inclined to believe there are FA's who would consider this behavior to be "concerning", but absurdly thinking this was some kind of terrorist signaling.
Non Muslims have also been removed from flights for invalid reasons. I don't find it too difficult to imagine a possibility of truth in the story reported
One of the men is a 1 MM flyer with AA. He was interviewed by at least one local Dallas TV station. I saw it on the local news. He said the flight attendant was listening at the lav door after the other passenger went in.

Also on that site, "Alaska Airlines has apologised to a gay couple after one of them was asked to give up his seat to allow a straight couple to sit together"
"https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-45022013"
So, yes, crew wanted a gay couple to either sit separately, so a straight couple could sit together, or leave the flight.
There is no lack of bigotry among airline crews, especially on AA

bse118 Sep 20, 2019 8:04 am

Originally Posted by mvoight (Post 31545005)
Also on that site, "Alaska Airlines has apologised to a gay couple after one of them was asked to give up his seat to allow a straight couple to sit together"
So, yes, crew wanted a gay couple to either sit separately, so a straight couple could sit together, or leave the flight.

Bolding mine.

So you're saying: An isolated incident on AS, paired with an isolated incident on AA, is evidence that bigotry is especially present with AA crews? That's quite a leap.

Random speculation/guessing about the level of bigotry in airline crews seems like an OMNI topic to me.

bitterproffit Sep 20, 2019 8:10 am

I have been avoiding AA due to operational reasons lately, but I have not had an issue (this century) with racial bias or profiling with AA. Or any other domestic airline.

apeortdz Sep 20, 2019 8:24 am

My one word answer your subject query: Yes.

LoungeLizardHugo Sep 20, 2019 9:09 am

I love flying AA.

fotographer Sep 20, 2019 9:21 am

Being born in India, raised in England and now living in the states,
I being of light brown skin have no problem flying AA or any other airlines.
Most if not all FA's get are always commenting on my skin color and asking how I got such a great tan. (I speak with an English accent), when I tell them I was born that way, they smile and tell me how lucky I am.
on a side note: You will always find me wearing a Hawaiian shirt and shorts.

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Sep 20, 2019 9:22 am

I don't think that bigotry is widespread on AA (or most other airlines for that matter). When you consider how diverse the crew is to begin with. You may have noticed that a good portion of AA male FAs are gay. (In fact I can tell you without a doubt the running joke at AA is how many male FAs are actually heterosexual). Not to mention the number of African Americans, Latinos, etc. FAs are often hired for their foreign language skills. Again, I doubt there's any kind of mass conspiracy to discriminate against any particular class.

SeeBuyFly Sep 20, 2019 9:34 am

The BBC article clearly states the reason for the security concern:

The reason, the agent allegedly said, was that Mr Abdallah "went to the restroom and... flushed twice".
So it's not a matter of profiling but rather evidence-based. Have you ever flushed twice on a plane? Of course not. Many people don't flush even once.

carlosdca Sep 20, 2019 9:59 am

Originally Posted by mvoight (Post 31545005)

That's a one sided story.
Given Alaska's airlines full apology text, and knowing how seating errors may (and do) occur all the time, I am inclined to believe Alaska

https://la.eater.com/2018/7/31/17633...t-social-media

This unfortunate incident was caused by a seating error, compounded by a full flight and a crew seeking an on-time departure and nothing more than that. It’s our policy to keep all families seated together whenever possible; that didn’t happen here and we are deeply sorry for the situation. We’ve reached out to Mr. Cooley to offer our sincere apologies for what happened and we are seeking to make it right.

joeyE Sep 20, 2019 10:04 am

AA flies ~200MM passengers/year. If we’re at 1 questionable or unclear incident/month, I’d say yes the system is working & desirable & that’s an airline I’d very much want to support & give my business to, as a minority. Few other places in life you’ll get treated as fairly..

Geordie405 Sep 20, 2019 10:10 am

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly (Post 31545366)
The BBC article clearly states the reason for the security concern: So it's not a matter of profiling but rather evidence-based. Have you ever flushed twice on a plane? Of course not. Many people don't flush even once.

So let me get this right. You're saying that the fact that the passenger flushed the lavatory twice is suspicious? Seriously? If I go to the restroom on a plane and find that the person before me hasn't flushed then I will flush, do my business, and then flush again. I will even - shock horror - wash my hands! Does that make me suspicious? I'd certainly hope not.

PUCCI GALORE Sep 20, 2019 10:16 am

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly (Post 31545366)
The BBC article clearly states the reason for the security concern: So it's not a matter of profiling but rather evidence-based. Have you ever flushed twice on a plane? Of course not. Many people don't flush even once.

Please do not think that I frittered away my working life on BA eavesdropping at toilet doors - but where on earth you get that piece of information from I cannot imagine.Presumably you must be acquainted with others that, perhaps, do. I've heard people double flush more times that I have had hot dinners.My worry if I heard multiple flushes, and I mean multiple would be that someone was not well.

I may be extremely disappointed with AA for its constant changing of flight times, lateness, the attitude of the some of the crews and the meals that are now worse than used to be served in Economy, but never ever for any kind of Bigotry. Indeed. were the Minorities to up and leave - American Airlines would probably grind to a halt. As would BA,.