Are you comfortable flying AA?

Old Sep 21, 2019, 11:14 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Will take AA any day over DL even if it involves a connection. I can't stand the atrocity that is SkyPesos.
Pick 1 of 4:

- mediocre FF (DL)
- operational issues (AA)
- no assigned seats (WN)
- mediocre everything (UA)

Of course passengers benefit from airline consolidation
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 11:57 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jayer
The one that is infamous for nitpicking compliant bags and is of non-Caucasian ethnicity? All her coworkers apologize about her? I've managed to not see her for a year and really hoped she had retired.
Maybe she moved to JFK Precheck because theres one there who has harassed me twice about my passport, carding me for a DL and then rolling her eyes as she compared the photos. The last time I handed her my Military ID and she held it up to the light for inspection.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 6:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
What is this thread even about anymore? So far we're talking about:
  • AA crews are prejudiced - because of an isolated incident.
  • AS crews are prejudiced - because of an isolated incident.
  • How many times should I flush the airplane lav?
  • Some passengers are prejudiced.
  • DL's frequent flyer program sucks.
  • AA's frequent flyer programs sucks.
  • Some staffers at LGA and JFK security checkpoints were grumpy.
Did I miss anything?
joeyE and AA100k like this.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by s0ssos
A common mistake made by people. You shouldn't stay in a hotel of your preferred program to earn more points if the other hotel is just so much better. Presuming you actually want a nice hotel, and not just some points.
The calculus isn't that simple. One example? What if you're one night away from the next elite level in your preferred program?
miamiflyer8 and enpremiere like this.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 8:31 am

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by bse118
What is this thread even about anymore? So far we're talking about:
  • AA crews are prejudiced - because of an isolated incident.
  • AS crews are prejudiced - because of an isolated incident.
  • How many times should I flush the airplane lav?
  • Some passengers are prejudiced.
  • DL's frequent flyer program sucks.
  • AA's frequent flyer programs sucks.
  • Some staffers at LGA and JFK security checkpoints were grumpy.
Did I miss anything?
Yes, the appropriate flush length.

Thank you for the Wikipedia version of this thread, it saved time from having to through it all.
C17PSGR and apeortdz like this.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 8:52 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Yes.

🤷🏻.♂️
Old Sep 22, 2019, 10:36 am

So no courtesy flushes on AA. Got it.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
The calculus isn't that simple. One example? What if you're one night away from the next elite level in your preferred program?
That happens, um, hmm, max one time a year?
Old Sep 22, 2019, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
A common mistake made by people. You shouldn't stay in a hotel of your preferred program to earn more points if the other hotel is just so much better. Presuming you actually want a nice hotel, and not just some points.

It is like eating junky food because it is cheap or free. I remember when the bartender had an extra Miller pulled up, and asked if anybody wanted it for free. Everyone passed (this was at DEN, maybe somewhere else it'd be different).
That happens, um, hmm, max one time a year?
There are other examples, too. But always staying in a better hotel at the cost of more points in your preferred program seems to say that building points/nights/stays/elite levels in the preferred program is valueless. I don't agree. I'd much rather stay in a hotel that's acceptable and gets me credit in my preferred program than in another, better hotel which gets no program credit. You may, and apparently do, feel differently.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 11:52 am

There are other examples, too. But always staying in a better hotel at the cost of more points in your preferred program seems to say that building points/nights/stays/elite levels in the preferred program is valueless. I don't agree. I'd much rather stay in a hotel that's acceptable and gets me credit in my preferred program than in another, better hotel which gets no program credit. You may, and apparently do, feel differently.
That's not the question. Would you rather stay in a dump that gets you credit or stay in a nice hotel that gets you no credit?

If a hotel is "acceptable" to you then it is acceptable you. If you want to stay in a chain hotel miles outside the city center, even though you are visiting the city, that is also your choice. Plenty of people make that.

You are allowed to make whatever choice you want. There are people who would travel hours to get a "good deal". If you just counted the hours they spent and multiplied it by minimum wage and added the gas cost to it, they would have broke even. But hey, they felt they won!

I'm just saying this "obsession" with points is absurd. In the current thread it is about AA vs DL. I agree, DL points are worth much less. But would you rather take a connection, risk not making it to your destination that night, to get your invaluAAble points? I'm sure some people would. If they were travelling for work I'm not sure their boss would agree.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 12:50 pm

Um, do you know how airplane toilets work? This isn't a normal toilet on the ground.
Forgive the attempt at humor in an otherwise off-topic. I'm looking forward to my first trip on a jet aircraft one day
Antarius and AA100k like this.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 12:51 pm

That's not the question. Would you rather stay in a dump that gets you credit or stay in a nice hotel that gets you no credit?
If it's just short of qualifying for top-tier status, I'll put up with a dump for a night.

There are people who would travel hours to get a "good deal". If you just counted the hours they spent and multiplied it by minimum wage and added the gas cost to it, they would have broke even. But hey, they felt they won!
Sounds like you're referring to repositioning and there actually is a mileage running forum on FlyerTalk.

I'm just saying this "obsession" with points is absurd. In the current thread it is about AA vs DL. I agree, DL points are worth much less. But would you rather take a connection, risk not making it to your destination that night, to get your invaluAAble points? I'm sure some people would. If they were travelling for work I'm not sure their boss would agree.
Absurd? Perhaps but it's all perspective and that's the beauty of it.

FlyerTalk is filled with travelers whose value of elite status, points, etc... ranges from "I don't care, I'm not loyal, I'll just pick the best choice for my needs" to those who track with spreadsheets, try to focus travel on one program (even if it means connections), know every partner earning rule, and even would add a connection just to get them over the hump to retain elite status.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 1:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by AA100k
Maybe she moved to JFK Precheck because theres one there who has harassed me twice about my passport, carding me for a DL and then rolling her eyes as she compared the photos. The last time I handed her my Military ID and she held it up to the light for inspection.
No ... that's a different one. Wonder if they're related.

Me rolling by on a conference call and waiving my phone. Sir ... stop this is precheck only. Me ... yes, I know, that's why I'm going there. Business guy with Briggs and Riley roller board with lots of brightly colored tags from various Oneworld airlines. Sir ... stop ... I must look at your boarding pass. I think she's the only precheck guard who wants to look at ID's too.

Definitely making me uncomfortable! If I was a Middle Easterner and she stopped me, maybe I could get it on the news too. But since I'm not and she stopped me, I can only raise it to Flyertalk.

Wonder if they are related to the woman who sometimes staffs the bottom of the escalator at LAX ....
Old Sep 22, 2019, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by enpremiere
If it's just short of qualifying for top-tier status, I'll put up with a dump for a night.

Sounds like you're referring to repositioning and there actually is a mileage running forum on FlyerTalk.

Absurd? Perhaps but it's all perspective and that's the beauty of it.

FlyerTalk is filled with travelers whose value of elite status, points, etc... ranges from "I don't care, I'm not loyal, I'll just pick the best choice for my needs" to those who track with spreadsheets, try to focus travel on one program (even if it means connections), know every partner earning rule, and even would add a connection just to get them over the hump to retain elite status.
I used to do MR's. But after LAX JFK NRT SIN economy round-trip I realized why would you put up with pain and suffering just to get some "status"?
And repeat it again the next year.
Some people calculate it and say it is worth it, for all their upgrades (on short-haul flights, that is). But I'm beginning to see how you miss out on so much of the world by only going/staying where your airline/hotel gets you.

There are people who travel, for work, pleasure, etc. And then there are people who travel. Just to go somewhere, see something new.

In looking at points I realize many times I try to maximize the value. Because you get more "cents per point". But isn't it more than just about points? Why not book that unique hotel that everybody says you should stay at, even though they aren't affiliated with any program?

But I guess in general it is about materalism in the world. You work hard to make money to pay for your nice car/house/vacation. If you didn't work so hard, didn't kill yourself at work, and accepted a lower quality of living, wouldn't you actually be happier in the long run?
Old Sep 22, 2019, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by enpremiere
Forgive the attempt at humor in an otherwise off-topic. I'm looking forward to my first trip on a jet aircraft one day
But it does not make sense.
Maybe if you said something like:
next time, before I use the bathroom I will press my call light and ask the FA for a bottle of water, so I can pour that down the toilet instead of a second flush

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.