Are you comfortable flying AA?

Old Sep 20, 2019, 9:04 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Will take AA any day over DL even if it involves a connection. I can't stand the atrocity that is SkyPesos.
I'm the opposite (started flying DL out of PHX despite the connections) and would rather my paid flights be better rather than the occasional award flight be cheaper.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by GodAtum
As a member of an ethnic minority group, I would avoid flying AA due to an increasing number of racist incidents. The latest one https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-49764305
That's an "increasing number" of one. Others?
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 9:38 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Will take AA any day over DL even if it involves a connection. I can't stand the atrocity that is SkyPesos.
AAdvantage is going the direction of SkyPesos.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 10:14 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
So were the racist AA employees racist before they were hired, or is there a formal edict that they become racists during their first few years of training & onboarding? Are all 126,000 employees racist or just the front line employees (not the pilots right? Pilots make too much money...they cant be racists). Is it specifically the flight attendants or are the gate agents who are the racists? What about the AAngels in the Admirals Club...racists or no? Is it the legacy AA employees or the newer ones from USAirways & America West? Now wait, is it the regional carriers or the mainline employees who are the racists? If its the regional... were they racist when they started with Piedmont or only since US merged with AA? Just trying to figure out who the racists are at AA. Does Delta & Southwest have racists too or is it limited to AA? If only AA, please tell us how UA & WN have managed to not have racists but AA does...
Old Sep 21, 2019, 10:50 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Austin787
AAdvantage is going the direction of SkyPesos.
They are indeed but they always make the changes last. AA being OW is what keeps me with them.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 1:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Unfortunately Gary has bought into the narrative on his blog. Who knows what happened. I presume it was more than toilet flushes.

And, FWIW, this white guy keeps getting SSSS and extra screening on AA but never on other airlines even though I have precheck, am an EXP, and am way more vetted than almost anyone. Plus the baggage lady at LGA in the precheck line hassled me this week.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 3:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Definitely less comfortable now ....

Flight attendants offered a PDB of choice, then they thanked me by name for being an EXP, and then apparently my flight wasn't selected for an exciting offer. This is the first flight this year where we werent selected for the Barclays Card offer as I didn't hear anything about it! Profiling? An alternate universe? Should I be less comfortable?
Old Sep 21, 2019, 4:04 pm

miamiflyer8 I agree with you. I have flights to Europe and Africa combing up in F on BA, So for me AA is the best fit and use of miles.
miamiflyer8 likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by enpremiere
What about a long sustained hold rather than two timed flush button presses?
Um, do you know how airplane toilets work? This isn't a normal toilet on the ground.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 4:23 pm

A common mistake made by people. You shouldn't stay in a hotel of your preferred program to earn more points if the other hotel is just so much better. Presuming you actually want a nice hotel, and not just some points.
It is like eating junky food because it is cheap or free. I remember when the bartender had an extra Miller pulled up, and asked if anybody wanted it for free. Everyone passed (this was at DEN, maybe somewhere else it'd be different).
Old Sep 21, 2019, 6:22 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by s0ssos
A common mistake made by people. You shouldn't stay in a hotel of your preferred program to earn more points if the other hotel is just so much better. Presuming you actually want a nice hotel, and not just some points.
It is like eating junky food because it is cheap or free. I remember when the bartender had an extra Miller pulled up, and asked if anybody wanted it for free. Everyone passed (this was at DEN, maybe somewhere else it'd be different).
I never got the hype behind DL being so much better, I find their agents to be just as good or bad however you want to put it compared to AA. DL has the sorry SkyClubs for their INTL Premium pax while AA has the FL's. I get lounge access when traveling within North America with my AY status whereas if I have Elite+ on another SkyTeam carrier I get nothing. I can select MCE (compared to DL C+) at the time of booking for me and 8 companions... I could go on forever on how I prefer AA.

And haven't we all been at that point in our lives where we eat the junky food because it's cheap?

If there are two comparable hotels in the area I'd obviously pick the nicer one, would I pick a Hampton Inn compared to a Park Hyatt just because I like HHonors more? Absolutely not.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 7:06 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
I never got the hype behind DL being so much better, I find their agents to be just as good or bad however you want to put it compared to AA. DL has the sorry SkyClubs for their INTL Premium pax while AA has the FL's. I get lounge access when traveling within North America with my AY status whereas if I have Elite+ on another SkyTeam carrier I get nothing. I can select MCE (compared to DL C+) at the time of booking for me and 8 companions... I could go on forever on how I prefer AA.
I agree. As a former DL Diamond Medallion and 1MM, I left and never looked back. I still take an occasional DL flight but AA takes much better care of me and I get better value in just about all areas. One thing that is often overlooked in these homages to DL is how old their fleet is, especially those 767s which are the backbone of their international fleet not to mention the 757s. For the past four years with AA, Ive flown exclusively 777s, A330s and 787s on all my international routes. This matters a lot!
Old Sep 21, 2019, 8:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, United, Delta ex-status
Plus the baggage lady at LGA in the precheck line hassled me this week.
The one that is infamous for nitpicking compliant bags and is of non-Caucasian ethnicity? All her coworkers apologize about her? I've managed to not see her for a year and really hoped she had retired.

Last edited by jayer; Sep 21, 2019 at 9:08 pm
Old Sep 21, 2019, 10:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Glad to see AA FA's being proactive!^^^
Old Sep 21, 2019, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by jayer
The one that is infamous for nitpicking compliant bags and is of non-Caucasian ethnicity? All her coworkers apologize about her? I've managed to not see her for a year and really hoped she had retired.
I think that's the one! I've been avoiding LaGuardia but she's been there for years watching the bags. And if I rolled on by, she yelled stop and wouldn't back off. Definitely makes me uncomfortable about flying AA! But offset by two flights with pre-departure beverages and neither flight talked about credit cards!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.