Advice for a refugee from BA please

Old Sep 20, 19, 5:38 am
Original Poster

Advice for a refugee from BA please

Hi. I have to fly LHR-xxx-CMH (Columbus OH) next month. Iím normally a BA loyal flyer but am avoiding them because of the strike risk so will take a BA codeshare on AA metal. Iíll be in J and my options (all roughly similar total journey time) are:

LHR-PHL-CMH , where longhaul is AA A330
LHR-JFK-CMH, with a 777-200
LHR-ORD-CMH, on a 787

Which would you recommend for the best combination of metal and ease of transfer? I have Global Entry and should be hand luggage only.

thanks!!
Old Sep 20, 19, 6:21 am

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by aristoph View Post
Hi. I have to fly LHR-xxx-CMH (Columbus OH) next month. Iím normally a BA loyal flyer but am avoiding them because of the strike risk so will take a BA codeshare on AA metal. Iíll be in J and my options (all roughly similar total journey time) are:

LHR-PHL-CMH , where longhaul is AA A330
LHR-JFK-CMH, with a 777-200
LHR-ORD-CMH, on a 787

Which would you recommend for the best combination of metal and ease of transfer? I have Global Entry and should be hand luggage only.

thanks!!
I donít care for the older 330s or PHLís lack of a Flagship Lounge so I would do JFK on the way and ORD on the way back (to avoid the bus transfers while the ATS is under construction at ORD).
Old Sep 20, 19, 6:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by enpremiere View Post
I donít care for the older 330s or PHLís lack of a Flagship Lounge so I would do JFK on the way and ORD on the way back (to avoid the bus transfers while the ATS is under construction at ORD).
Thanks. I am leaning towards JFK but I didn't have a strong view between the A330 and the 777-200 - is it a no-brainer? And I won't have access to the Flagship, just the Admirals Lounge.

I hadn't realised the ATS is out of action! I am flying back direct from ORD as my trip ends there, but obviously I'll just go direct to terminal then,
Old Sep 20, 19, 6:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I would also focus on the various connection times. Forget the lounge issue, head directly to the gate, board your flight and get to the destination.
Old Sep 20, 19, 6:52 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Thanks. I am leaning towards JFK but I didn't have a strong view between the A330 and the 777-200 - is it a no-brainer? And I won't have access to the Flagship, just the Admirals Lounge.
Flying in business on LHR-JFK-CMH you will have access to the Flagship Lounge at JFK.

Both A330 and 772 have similar setups: fully lie flat, all aisle access in a 1-2-1 config. The 772 is just a much newer hard product.

Given the choice of connecting at PHL or JFK I'd do JFK every time. Nicer terminal, nicer hard product onboard, and Flagship Lounge to enjoy during your connection.
jAAck and aristoph like this.
Old Sep 20, 19, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JJeffrey View Post
Flying in business on LHR-JFK-CMH you will have access to the Flagship Lounge at JFK.
Oh cool, I didn't realise that. Thought you had to be Emerald or flying international F to access Flagship.
Old Sep 20, 19, 8:31 am

Oh cool, I didn't realise that. Thought you had to be Emerald or flying international F to access Flagship.
Flying business class will get you access in JFK.

And it's not always sunny in PHL
Old Sep 20, 19, 8:49 am

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
I would do ORD/PHL or even CLT just because of the much greater frequency to CMH. JFK-CMH is only 1x daily. JFK has pretty poor connectivity to the other hubs so if you should misconnect you might be looking at transfer to LGA and/or a significant delay.
Old Sep 20, 19, 9:25 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I would avoid JFK, but that is just me.
I would do the ORD flight.. you will get a bit more time to take a nap/rest
Weather at that time, should not be a problem.
Old Sep 20, 19, 9:36 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
At the moment, it's better to avoid ORD due to construction, especially if movement between domestic (T1/2/3) and international (T5) terminals will be required. Given the lack of service through JFK (have you looked at LGA possibilities if the JFK-CMH flight is missed and BTW is it a small aircraft?), I'd be inclined to pick PHL.
Old Sep 20, 19, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
At the moment, it's better to avoid ORD due to construction, especially if movement between domestic (T1/2/3) and international (T5) terminals will be required. Given the lack of service through JFK (have you looked at LGA possibilities if the JFK-CMH flight is missed and BTW is it a small aircraft?), I'd be inclined to pick PHL.
I've gone for JFK. The connection time is 2h 40m, which seems fine, and there are several later flights from LGA in case I do miss it.

Yes, JFK-CMH is on an Embraer 175. Is that an issue?
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 20, 19, 12:59 pm

I've gone for JFK. The connection time is 2h 40m, which seems fine, and there are several later flights from LGA in case I do miss it.

Well depending on the size of your carry-on you may have to valet it.

Other than that 2:40 should be just fine in JFK.
Old Sep 20, 19, 1:00 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

During IROPs at major airports, smaller aircraft are more likely to be delayed or cancelled. They're also more subject to weather delays/cancellations because larger aircraft are generally able to fly in more severe weather.
Old Sep 20, 19, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by enpremiere View Post
Well depending on the size of your carry-on you may have to valet it.

Other than that 2:40 should be just fine in JFK.
Oh yeah, it is a suit carrier and may not fit overhead - good call!
Old Sep 20, 19, 1:11 pm

Oh yeah, it is a suit carrier and may not fit overhead - good call!
If it's a soft carrier (i.e just for the suite and not a hardish shell), you should have not problem asking the FA if it can be hung in the closet that is located between the galley and the bulkhead of the forward cabin.

Search this Thread