Forgot to claim a bag at customs

Old Sep 19, 19, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott/SPG Gold
Forgot to claim a bag at customs

Connecting in LAX from HND. Forgot one of my bags on the customs carousel as Iím used to having one checked bag. Already back airside for domestic connection. What should I do?

Last edited by HofstraJet; Sep 19, 19 at 12:37 pm
Old Sep 19, 19, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver / VS /IHG Spire & Ambassador
Well I’d be walking to the AA check in area and speak to someone there rather than posting on FT!
Old Sep 19, 19, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM lifetime Platinum, Expedia +gold +++
I've had family members do that in the past at MIA, bag usually gets delivered to connecting airport in a few days. You're responsible for collecting it from airport. Good luck.
Old Sep 19, 19, 12:29 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Programs: US Platinum, United 1k, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
I did this in EWR once on UA. As soon as I was through, I remembered and found a United employee. They went and got the bag, took it through customs and delivered it to me within ~15 minutes... with plenty of time to re-check it before the next flight.
KRSW and Kannai like this.
Old Sep 19, 19, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

H
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post
Well I’d be walking to the AA check in area and speak to someone there rather than posting on FT!
Was walking there and posting. Check in agent and AAngel at FL both said that leftover bags are walked through customs by AA and will either be on my flight or another to my final destination. Nothing else I can do but wait and see.

Fingers crossed.

Edit: thanks everyone. I just saw the posts above which are consistent with what I was told. Will provide updates. Thankfully this is the trip home so it’s easy to go back to the airport if necessary.

<request resolved by moderator>
zpaul likes this.

Last edited by JY1024; Sep 19, 19 at 8:05 pm
Old Sep 19, 19, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MMRRT Gold
Originally Posted by HofstraJet View Post
Connecting in LAX from HND. Forgot one of my bags on the customs carousel as Iím used to having one checked bag. Already back airside for domestic connection. What should I do?
Do not worry one bit! Go to an airline employee, and inform them of what happened. They will bring you your bag. I did that in Mexico once and thought I'd end up in a jail cell with no electricity. It was so easy to retrieve. Best of luck! (You'll be fine )
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Sep 19, 19, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Delta GM, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz President's Circle
H

Was walking there and posting. Check in agent and AAngel at FL both said that leftover bags are walked through customs by AA and will either be on my flight or another to my final destination. Nothing else I can do but wait and see.

Fingers crossed.

Edit: thanks everyone. I just saw the posts above which are consistent with what I was told. Will provide updates. Thankfully this is the trip home so itís easy to go back to the airport if necessary.

Edit 2: Mods - please change title to remove the urgent help part. Thanks.
Remember that you can check the status of your bag using the AA app, so you'll know whether the bag made your next flight or not! Good luck!
Old Sep 19, 19, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dantheflyingman View Post
Remember that you can check the status of your bag using the AA app, so you'll know whether the bag made your next flight or not! Good luck!
Great tip. Totally forgot about that. Just checked and it was loaded 2 minutes ago!

Thanks everyone. Appreciate the prompt responses and the moral support.
princeville, wrp96, freQ and 4 others like this.
Old Sep 19, 19, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA-EXP
Related question: Are these bags subject to more attention from CBP, or is this actually a way to have an airline employee "mule" your contraband?
nancypants and C46 like this.
Old Sep 19, 19, 5:45 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Great tip. Totally forgot about that. Just checked and it was loaded 2 minutes ago!

Thanks everyone. Appreciate the prompt responses and the moral support.
That's what I was going to suggest as well - good way to know which flight it makes it on. Glad it worked out.
Old Sep 19, 19, 6:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Uzzar View Post
Related question: Are these bags subject to more attention from CBP, or is this actually a way to have an airline employee "mule" your contraband?
Bags are randomly inspected. I bet that at LAX, it's <5% overall. The risk here was that OP's bag was pulled for secondary and didn't make the connection. Unless contraband is found, it just goes on the next flight.
Uzzar likes this.
Old Sep 19, 19, 11:49 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by Uzzar View Post
It's Marsha Gay Reynolds' new job!
Old Sep 20, 19, 8:00 am
Original Poster

The bag made it. Thanks again.

Happy arrival.
Old Sep 20, 19, 10:17 am
cmx

Programs: DL Diamond 1MM, AS MVP, SW ALP and CP, b6 Mosaic, UA Silver, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Gold
I once left some stuff at LAX customs because I was going to miss my connection and didn't really care about the checked items and AA delivered it to my office about a week later. Perhaps the only time I've had AA customer service not be awful.
Old Sep 20, 19, 11:05 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Who else had Will Smith’s “Miami” chorus going through their heads when they saw OP’s pic with the cart ����.♀️
apeortdz likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: