Wiki Posts
Search

Recent AA experience

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2019, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage PltPro, AMEX Platinum
Recent AA experience

I like many others have not had the best experience in recent years flying AA.

However i must say I had 4 great flights recently.

Jfk-dfw First
The crew were all very happy and attentive to all needs. Welcomed us with a good morning. All were the crew kept asking us if we need refills and were quick to take trash away. During the flight asked if we needed anything else many times. Smiled and thanked us upon departing.

dfw-las MCE
Same crew that took us to dfw which surprised me as I don’t remember ever getting the same crew on a connection. Crew in economy just as nice. Of course can’t be as attentive as there are many more pax. But did the drink service with smiles.

las-ord MCE
Super early departure but again warm welcome and very friendly crew. Service was quick. Crew walked down the aisles during the flight to check if pax needed anything. Second service was great as well.

ord-jfk First
warm welcome with smiles. Very quick and efficient crew. Crew came around to ask if there was anything else we needed. Just all around great service. Thanks us as we deplaned.

My wife and I were just so pleasantly surprised by all 4 flights.

Just thought I would share and hopefully more of our flights here on the forum have positive feedback.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 8:54 pm

Thanks so much for positing this. I have two trips on American coming up. It's easy to start thinking that I'll be bombarded with disgruntled employees. Indeed, American has it's problems, but I like to think that there are plenty of helpful and attentive staff. I'm glad that you and your wife had a good trip, and I will hope for the same.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 10:30 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat HH Diamond
The most consistent thing about AA? It's inconsistency. Your report doesn't surprise me at all. AA has employees from both ends of the spectrum, fantastic to oh my god how are you still employed.
no1cub17 likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 10:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
So glad to hear about this....I really want AA to do well and be the best.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 11:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage PltPro, AMEX Platinum
Originally Posted by Penguinmoon
The most consistent thing about AA? It's inconsistency. Your report doesn't surprise me at all. AA has employees from both ends of the spectrum, fantastic to oh my god how are you still employed.
I get it but we see much more of the negative over praise. I have complained as well myself for good reason. Take into account what we see here on the forum is a small percentage of flyers worldwide but big enough to be a real issue with the airline.

My hope is that things will continue to be better since I will be staying with AA and do not see myself leaving them for UA or DL. And also for all of you that spend your money with AA.

I have a trip in October to SJU so hoping it will be just as good if not better.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 3:45 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
glad you had such a great crew... its amazing how much of a difference it makes to flying when you have a crew has good has you had.
wireless_999 likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 7:06 am

I would like to chime in along with OP, that all my recent flights were reasonably good. In some of the flights I was thanked for being a loyal customer in F as well as Economy. In most flights I was addressed by name in F. My special meals were delivered in every flight in F. Crew reactions were mixed, I have had great crews and indifferent crews, however did not come across rude or unprofessional crew

But the thing that surprised me as well as made me happy, is that few weeks back my wife and daughter were flying out of country starting at 2 different locations but connecting at DFW. Wife is EXP and Daughter has no status. Daughter calls me frantically saying her first flight is delayed and she will miss the connection. I told my wife to call the EXP line, at which point she tells me her flight is showing canceled. Both of them were automatically moved to an earlier flight that is also delayed and ultimately all flights to DFW canceled. We had applied SWU for the International leg and it cleared for my wife a week before travel and daughter on the day of travel, but being an EXP wife also upgraded complimentary on the first flight. Now because they were going to miss the connection (actually that flight also was delayed and left next morning), I look at alternatives, looking for a common connection point taking time difference in to account. Found UA out of IAH and found connection for both which even though cutting it close, would enable to get UA. My wife called EXP line and after 20 minutes of waiting got a lovely agent who moved her to UA in F keeping her upgrades intact and then moved Daughter to UA but with F for the upgraded International leg and the domestic connection in Economy (Apparently my wife was told first was sold out on the connection, so not sure if the original upgrade had any impact while moving to UA)

Bottom line, AA came through and the trip was saved, saving us the hassle of rebooking hotels, possibly losing the first day stay cost etc and the biggest thing is saved us from the stress of going through the uncertainity

I know, it may be just one incident , but to be fair to AA, they have always come through for us when there is IRROPS

AA is not perfect and I am not a AA fan, but I think we read more about AA or for that matter any airline's missteps here at FT more and good news don't get written about and/or ignored for most part

I have had my share of bad experience with AA and other airlines, including bad customer service experiences

However, Personally I learnt, believe and am prepared for YMMV with each and every one of my trips, customer service calls etc irrespective of the airline I travel and understood there is no point in getting frustrated, stressed, annoyed or getting upset with the airline employees. Just go with the flow and give feedback when required and move on
wireless_999 and boerne like this.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 7:17 am
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
I think 80% of the problems people have are due to not having the proper expectations. A friendly and enthusiastic crew does make a difference but if I don't get it, I am totally fine. The only thing that is not ok is delays, cancellations and schedule changes with no resolution. Other than that, I paid for a seat to wherever I'm going and that is what I got. Its always good to hear the positive.
wireless_999 and FAA1996 like this.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 9:34 am
HGH

We also just had a pleasant experience. I was concerned before hand because our second leg, out of ORD, had just one flight per day. We were flying basic economy. And, I am absolutely no one as far as AA is concerned.

We were separated on 3 out of four legs, but knew that would happen and didn't care. The flight attendants were nice and one even took the time to speak with all the passengers by name. The flights were all late, of course, but didn't affect anything for us. The only thing close to a glitch was trouble attaching the gangway at ORD. Several people with tight connections on the already late flight were pretty upset. I lost my extra time to get a slice in ORD, but other than that easily made our connection. Our luggage arrived each time pretty fast and undamaged.

Now I am thinking how sad it is that I am grateful AA did its job. I should be able to safely assume a company will deliver on their end every time.
wireless_999 likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
I had a very good flight from MSY-ORD on September 11 on Envoy. Flight was pretty full and the computers were down at MSY. They had to manually enter everyone's name into a computer to check us in. I was #2 on upgrade list, but F was full. Took my seat and as we were about close cabin doors, GA runs on board with a new boarding pass for myself and someone else in MCE. She was super nice and they worked with us to get our carryons stowed (as we got bulkhead in F). Then our F FA was AMAZING. He offered PDB, went around with drinks and snacks numerous times during the flight, tidied up F lav, just an overall amazing FA. We ended up taxing for a quite awhile after landing at ORD, so several of us talked to him as he was seated in jumpseat. He is a retired Delta FA that decided to come out of retirement doing what he loves to do. This guy was absolutely the best FA I have ever had on any flight in my life. I'm not EXP, so I don't have the kudos cards, but if anyone can PM me the link, I'd love to send him one through AA.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 4:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA, B6, DL, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Hilton, National
I agree there are some inconsistencies, but overall I think AA is no worse than the others, and can surprise with incredible service at times. Last week I had booked a tight connection through CLT. Murphy’s law kicked in and first segment was delayed. Pulled up to CLT gate B8 at 10:02PM. Second segment departs from D13 at 10:19. Jetbridge operator was not the fastest and I rushed from 3rd row at 10:05. Three younger dudes (I am north of 60) connecting to same flight do the OJ dash out the jetway promising to tell GA old fart is hot on their heels. I arrive at D13 at 10:12 totally out of breath and fully expecting boarding door to be closed. Flight was on time, so no delay to help. Not only is door open (profusely thanked GA) but FA brings PDB Woodford to help with out of breath situation. ��. I do an average of 140 flights a year with AA. They disappoint occasionally, but most of the time get me to where I need to go.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 1:31 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by TravelLawyer
... I'm not EXP, so I don't have the kudos cards, but if anyone can PM me the link, I'd love to send him one through AA.
The cards are not limited to EXPs; you should have received a batch as PlatPro. Heck, I get 'em as a lowly Plat.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 2:37 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I’ve been lucky; every time I’ve been in my monthly milk run, lax-Mia the J crew is great. And the Y crew is almost always pleasant.

Sometimes they are not the best informed (one never heard of giving on the spot compensation on a hand held, told me to write customer service( but that’s rare.

on time performance us another matter.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 2:52 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by beachfan
I’ve been lucky; every time I’ve been in my monthly milk run, lax-Mia the J crew is great. And the Y crew is almost always pleasant.

Sometimes they are not the best informed (one never heard of giving on the spot compensation on a hand held, told me to write customer service( but that’s rare.

on time performance us another matter.
I'm not sure if it's the advisory that went out last year that essentially trimmed the usage of iSolve following its roll-out or just a lack of training but in my personal experience it's rare to see it used and these days I see more referrals to the online customer service form than anything.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 5:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta, Amtrak, Hertz PC
I have had pretty good luck on mainline and Envoy flights the last few months. More delay's than I would like, but good crews and generally good flights.

Mesa on the other hand, is awful. I have flown them six times this year, and all six flights have been over an hour late, almost always due to maint.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.