Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

HELP DESK: Will I Have Lounge Access? Which, Access, Rules (2020-2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2020, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Microwave
HELP DESK: Lounge Access, Access Rules. Will I Have Lounge Access? (2020)
Please read this wiki carefully; some fine nuances exist.

Admirals Club lounges have reopened from the Covid closures, but not all Clubs have reopened, and hours have changed.

Link to aa.com Admirals Club, Flagship Lounge Access rules.

Also see Admirals Club rates increasing, new restrictions: 2019

PLEASE DO NOT ALTER THE CONTENT OF THIS MODERATOR NOTE

The Lounge Access Help Desk

To assist members with questions about Lounge Access Rules that they have not been able to answer on their own using the above resources, the AA Moderator team has decided to institute this thread, the third in a series of "Help Desk" threads. N.B.: If you have questions about physical access to a specific lounge (e.g., airside vs. landside, different terminal, etc.), please search for and post to the appropriate specific thread for that lounge.

New threads on this topic will be merged into this one and bumped by the moderators as necessary. As such, we do not expect that this thread will develop into a searchable database, but that it will nonetheless provide a valuable resource to members. As well, we may shed / pare down posts from time to time to a trailing thread or similar device.

Our goal is to provide a place where members can feel welcome to post such questions and expect helpful, accurate responses. In this way, we hope to accommodate the needs and desires of both new and veteran members - those who aren't sure they are interpreting the available resources correctly can ask for help without fear of snarky-appearing responses; those who do not wish to participate in such threads are invited and, indeed, encouraged, to ignore this thread.

Please be forewarned: This thread will be subject to heavy moderation. Posts that are incorrect will be subject to deletion without notice - DO NOT POST answers unless you are sure your answer is complete and correct. Posts that are unhelpful or off-topic will also be subject to deletion without notice - DO NOT POST unless you can be friendly, helpful, concise, and salient.

Finally, a few guidelines for members posting queries to this thread:
  • Please DO make an effort to review the listed resources before posting here.
  • Please DO try to give as much information as possible, including your entire itinerary, with carrier for each segment and codeshares and stopovers clearly designated, your class of service and fare class purchased, whether or not you have Admirals Club or Qantas Club membership, a Citi AAdvantage Executive card (which includes full Admirals Club membership), and the number of guests and your family relationship with them, if any.
  • Please DO understand it could take some time for answers (especially on holidays and weekends.)
  • Please DO thank helpful members volunteering to reply to your questions.

Note: Members interested in arranging AA lounge meet-ups or offer guesting in should use this thread: Admirals Club / Flagship Lounge Meet Up & Guest Offer (master thread)

Also see the future changes in lounges and access: Admirals Club and Flagship Lounge Changes, Renovations & Additions

Sincerely,
The American Airlines AAdvantage forum Moderator Team
(Help Desk established by dstan)
=================end mod note===================

NOTE: The kduarte Lounge Access tool page has become unavailable

="3"%Help Desk: Lounge Access Rules / Will I Have Lounge Access?

Lounge Access can be obtained in a number of ways during travel on AA and its oneworld partner airlines. These include purchasing an Admirals Club one day pass, or via Citi AAdvantage Executive MasterCard (including, as of Dec 2015, authorized Executive card users), reciprocity agreements with other airlines, traveling on certain transcon flights in F or J, or traveling internationally with Platinum or Platinum Pro (oneworld Sapphire) or Concierge Key or Executive Platinum (oneworld Emerald) status or in F or J classes of service - except if flying solely within North America destinations other than MEX as AAdvantage elite or AA elite in Business class. The last is often the greatest source of confusion, despite lounge access rules being described clearly on aa.com.

Admirals Club members paid or Executive primary cardholder members) are entitled guests as follows:

Up to two guests or household members (spouse, domestic partner and/or children under the age of 18) may accompany the member.
* Note that AA no longer offers a 30-day membership as of July 25 2016.

Executive card subsidiary cardholders have admission as well.

PLT and PPRO members are eligible for access to all oneworld Business Class lounges, now including Flagship Lounges, including Admirals Clubs; EXP and CK members are also eligible for access to nearly all oneworld First Class lounges, including Flagship Lounges.

For AA status-based access (PLT, PPRO, EXP, Concierge Key),* passengers must: (1) be traveling on an international itinerary (Europe, Asia, Central and South America, and Mexico City, excluding the Caribbean and other destinations in North America (other than on certain three class transcontinental flights) including other destinations in Mexico, and (2) have an onward flight on a oneworld airline marketed and operated flight on the same day.

Lounges operated by third parties or premium lounges operating outside of oneworld rules (e.g. BA Concorde Room, Qatar Al Safwa or Al Mourjan lounges, AA Flagship First Dining) may be excluded, and all may may refuse admittance if they claim they are crowded. There are other exceptions.

*Non-AA oneworld Sapphire and Emerald elites are not subject to rule #1 above.

Emerald / EP on CX JFK-YVR are not subject to AA limitations and are issued Flagship Lounge invitations for use at JFK.

The following exceptions apply: (in part; for the entire list, see here)

American Airlines and Qantas paid programmes

American Airlines and Qantas offer programmes enabling customers to pay to gain access to their lounges. These programmes are not part of the oneworld agreement, and members of these programmes are not entitled to access lounges under the oneworld agreement.

American Airlines AAdvantage member North American flights

American Airlines Airlines AAdvantage members, regardless of their tier status or class of travel, are not eligble for lounge access when travelling solely on North American flights within or between the U.S, Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Carribean. For more information, visit, http://aa.com/i18n/travelInformation...miralsClub.jsp

Traveling Flagship® Business Transcontinentalalso gives you lounge access and other amenities:
Los Angeles (LAX) - New York (JFK)
San Francisco (SFO) - JFK
LAX - Boston (BOS) – traveling on A321T aircraft only
LAX - Miami (MIA) – traveling on B777-300 aircraft only (through October 26, 2019)
The following exceptions apply:

First and Business Class customers who do not hold Emerald or Sapphire tier status are not eligible to access American Airlines lounges when travelling on solely domestic flights within the U.S. or between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico [except Mexico City], the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean; customers travelling in First or Business class on U.S. transcontinental flights between JFK-LAX, JFK-SFO and vice-versa are eligible for lounge access. oneworld lounge access page - link
On February 17 2016, AA announced an addition to the above. As stated on their Reimagining our lounges page, in the Flagship Lounges section, "Starting in 2017, lounge access will be extended to customers booked in Business and First Class on A321T, Trans-Atlantic, Trans-Pacific and deep South American flights."
Important Note: Though this announcement excluded Northern South America and Central America, those travelling to or from those destinations in J/F or who hold OWE or OWS, including AA elites, do indeed have access to the Flagship Lounge. See the link below for Flagship Lounge access rules for details.

In the Flagship Dining subsection, they state:

Beginning in early 2017, the Flagship Dining experience will be available in select cities with 3-class service:

● Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) (2019)

● New York (JFK)

● Miami (MIA)

● Los Angeles (LAX)

First Class customers on American’s three class international and transcontinental flights will have exclusive access to Flagship Dining.
All Admirals Club visitors receive free Wi-Fi access at Admirals Clubs (password is available at front desk and throughout the Club on signs), some non-alcoholic and "well" (lower price tier) alcoholic beverages, counter snacks and offered food items; free computer terminals are available for all passengers, and many Clubs have Business Centers and tethered Samsung Galaxy tablets in seating areas. Passengers accessing Admirals Clubs based on status or class of service on international travel are entitled to free drinks coupons usable for higher-tier non-alcoholic and alcoholic beverages and bottles of water.

Flagship Lounges (JFK, LAX, LHR and ORD) offer extended beverages and upscale snack services as well. See below for link.

NOTE: Some Lounges and Clubs are undergoing refurbishment.

Citi Prestige MasterCard holder Admirals Club access ended July 23, 2017.

American Express Platinum cardholder Admirals Club access ended 21 March 2014.

NOTE: It has been verified more airports are allowing multiple terminal access on one's day of departure. LAX has been one since mid-2014.

Admirals Club access is granted the day of flight for statusholders flyingoneworld and those flying F or J, or the following day at the first port of arrival if flying overnight and arriving by 0600.

Airports requiring Lounge users have a same day departure boarding pass include BOG, CCS, CDG, GIG, GRU, LHR, MEX, NRT, SCL, YYZ.

N.B. Qantas Lounges and Clubs require Smart Casual (sic) dress as of May 2015; those not meeting the standard may be turned away. They also require Admirals Club members be traveling on a departing AA marketed flight, otherbthan the LAX / TBIT lounge.

Please see the following resources for full details on Lounge Access Rules: (and see below)

. . . ● AA.com: Lounge Access Rules

. . . ● AA.com: American Airlines Flagship Lounge Access Rules

Beginning later in 2017: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ge-updates.jsp opens Flagship access to many more pax.

. . . ● AA.com: Reimaging our lounges

. . . ● AA.com: Admirals Club Membership Guide in a downloadable PDF format.

. . . ● oneworld.com: Lounge Access Rules and Search Tool

. . . ● Wiki: Lounges

. . . ● FT: American Airlines LOUNGE DASHBOARD

For various threads on membership, access by status, transcon service, class of service, Flagship lounge access, lounges directory with links to specific lounge threads, Club member access to partner lounges, recipripocity agreements, etc.

. . . ● 2019 year thread:https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...es-2019-a.html

. . . ● 2017 year thread:https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...es-2017-a.html
="4"%Admirals Club Membership + Reciprocal Qantas Club Access (master thread)
="3"%Note: Qantas Club access for Admirals Club members has recently CHANGED
="3"%Admirals Club members

="3"%As an Admirals Club annual, lifetime member, Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive Card primary cardholder, or AirPass member with Admirals Club privileges, your Qantas Club domestic access has recently changed (again):
="3"%Select Qantas Clubs when departing on the same day on a

Qantas operated flight or an American marketed flight operated by Qantas

NOTE: This is different than oneworld access rules and pertains only to Admirals Club members.

Also note Qantas will soon begin selling single admission starting at $49, but these at least initially will be restricted to QF Bronze or Silver members and only available during non-peak times. At this time, AA flyers are ineligible. Link to Australian Business Traveller article.

Previously, members could access Qantas domestic lounges with an Admirals Club card without having purchased the AA codeshare. This is no longer permitted. These changes do not include one world Emerald or Sapphire members.

Eligible Admirals Club members must present the following documentation:
  • Government-issued photo ID
    • Admirals Club membership card
      • Applicable boarding pass for same day travel

NOTE Qantas Club Dress Code: N.B. Qantas Lounges and Clubs will require Smart Casual (sic) dress as of May 2015; those not meeting the standard may be turned away. (No open-toe shoes.) c/o hartlogan

Print Wikipost

HELP DESK: Will I Have Lounge Access? Which, Access, Rules (2020-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2022, 6:23 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Given that this is QR and DOH I wouldn't be so sure. With a connecting flight not until the next day and in economy I would expect lots of pushback from the lounge agents. They definitely won't let you into Al-Mourjan so this would be for the lower end business/Sapphire lounge.

In any event with 22 hours no way on earth I'd stay in the airport for the entire time, even if I had guaranteed lounge access to Al-Safwa.
I agree, and I think under those circumstances I would either look at the airside oryx hotel although this is often very expensive, or go landside and get any number of cheaper hotels in Doha.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by pvelugoti1
I am flying from JFK to DOH and DOH to BLR. I could find business class for first leg and economy for second leg. I have 22 hr layover at DOH. Will I be able to access lounge during my 22 hr layover as my second leg is economy?
Originally Posted by javabytes
That is considered a connection and not a stopover so as a connecting passenger you should still have access, assuming this is all on one reservation.

I would retain your business class boarding pass to present to the lounge agent in case there are any questions.
Given that this is QR and DOH I wouldn't be so sure. With a connecting flight not until the next day and in economy I would expect lots of pushback from the lounge agents. They definitely won't let you into Al-Mourjan so this would be for the lower end business/Sapphire lounge.

In any event with 22 hours no way on earth I'd stay in the airport for the entire time, even if I had guaranteed lounge access to Al-Safwa.
Looks like it actually depends on the times. From OneWorld rules:
  • Connecting between oneworld marketed and operated flights:
    • First and Business Class customers connecting on the same day of travel, or before 6am the following day, can access the lounge when travelling between an international long haul (a oneworld international long haul flight is defined as an international flight marketed and operated by any oneworld carrier with a scheduled flight time longer than 5 hours) and an international short haul or domestic flight (and vice-versa).
    • Lounge access will be determined on the international long haul ticketed flight (either First of Business Class) regardless of the ticketed class of travel on the international short haul or domestic flight.
    • You must be prepared to show your boarding pass or itinerary showing travel in First or Business class on the international long haul flight, in order to access the lounge before your international short haul or domestic flight.

https://www.oneworld.com/airport-lounges?location=

So 22hr is insufficient information to determine yes or no, it would come down to the actual times of the flights. Agreed on not staying in the airport for 22hr.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Looking for confirmation concerning the AA arrivals lounge at LHR recently changing its closing time from 1:00 pm to 3:30 pm every day....
Old Aug 8, 2022, 8:32 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat - some level of status in IHG, Marriot & HIlton
Authorized user Admirals Club question

I have been a card holder for years and my wife is an authorized user on the account, so I know she has access to the Admirals Club when traveling without me and that has worked for her the 2 or 3 times she has traveled without me. But now for the first time, she is traveling without me and going with 2 coworkers. I am pretty sure the answer is yes, but want confirmation before I tell her that she can also take two guests into the club when she is traveling without me. They only have a 2 hour scheduled layover, so if all is going as planned it isn't a big deal either way.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 8:46 am

Programs: AA Platinum, HIlton Gold
Straight from the horse's (Citibank's) mouth:

"To access an Admirals Club® lounge, the primary cardmember or Authorized User must present: (i) his or her (a) AAdvantage® number or (b) active and valid Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite™MasterCard®; (ii) his or her current government-issued I.D.; and (iii) any additional required documentation. Either immediate family members (spouse or domestic partner and children under eighteen (18) years of age) or up to two (2) guests traveling with the primary cardmember or Authorized User may be admitted for free when accompanied by the primary cardmember or Authorized User"
ksucats likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 9:46 am

Programs: Costco Club
Yes, she can take two guests. It has to be an Admirals Club though, Authorized Users are ineligible for partner lounges.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 1:14 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by ksucats
I have been a card holder for years and my wife is an authorized user on the account, so I know she has access to the Admirals Club when traveling without me and that has worked for her the 2 or 3 times she has traveled without me. But now for the first time, she is traveling without me and going with 2 coworkers. I am pretty sure the answer is yes, but want confirmation before I tell her that she can also take two guests into the club when she is traveling without me. They only have a 2 hour scheduled layover, so if all is going as planned it isn't a big deal either way.
We have a thread on that topic:
Old Aug 14, 2022, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jlemon
Looking for confirmation concerning the AA arrivals lounge at LHR recently changing its closing time from 1:00 pm to 3:30 pm every day....
I never received a response concerning my above inquiry and am wondering if anyone can provide updated information.

Checking aa.com, one section states the LHR arrivals lounge is open daily until 3:30 pm. However, another section of aa.com states the LHR arrivals lounge is open daily until 1:00 pm.

It would be great to know which closing time is correct as I will arrive into LHR on AA in Flagship F in the early afternoon this Saturday and would love to take a quick shower before I head over to Lufthansa for my connecting flight later in the afternoon.

Many thanks in advance.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
I never received a response concerning my above inquiry and am wondering if anyone can provide updated information.

Checking aa.com, one section states the LHR arrivals lounge is open daily until 3:30 pm. However, another section of aa.com states the LHR arrivals lounge is open daily until 1:00 pm.

It would be great to know which closing time is correct as I will arrive into LHR on AA in Flagship F in the early afternoon this Saturday and would love to take a quick shower before I head over to Lufthansa for my connecting flight later in the afternoon.

Many thanks in advance.
The current Arrivals Lounge page at aa.com lists the closing time as 3:30pm, where are you seeing the 1pm?

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...als-lounge.jsp
Old Aug 14, 2022, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The current Arrivals Lounge page at aa.com lists the closing time as 3:30pm, where are you seeing the 1pm?

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...als-lounge.jsp
Looking at aa.com under "Lounges" and then selecting "Temporary changes at Clubs and Lounges" to "Changes at Clubs and Lounges".

Then scrolling down and selecting ''Arrivals Lounge - London (LHR)". The following statement appears:

"The Arrivals Lounge is open daily: 6:30 a.m. - 1 p.m."
Old Aug 14, 2022, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Looking at aa.com under "Lounges" and then selecting "Temporary changes at Clubs and Lounges" to "Changes at Clubs and Lounges".

Then scrolling down and selecting ''Arrivals Lounge - London (LHR)". The following statement appears:

"The Arrivals Lounge is open daily: 6:30 a.m. - 1 p.m."
Gotcha. I'm honestly not sure then.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Gotcha. I'm honestly not sure then.
I'll head over there this Saturday and then update everyone.
JJeffrey and LCSinTexas like this.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 1:16 pm

Programs: American CK, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Question Concierge Key / Doha Al Safwa First Lounge Access?

CK here flying Qatar business (paid) in near term. We will have a 9 hr layover and trying to see which lounge we will have access to.
Looks like the Al Safwa First lounge allows entry for business class ticketed passengers who are at Qatar's Platinum level (emerald One World).
would my CK status allow access?
thanks for any insights.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 1:39 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by flyforwork
Would my CK status allow access?
You'll have complimentary access to Al Mourjan (business lounge) with your ticket. You have the option of paid access to Al Safwa.
flyforwork likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 5:54 am

Programs: Some more than others
Wanted to confirm what I believe, in case I am missing something (and do a light rant).

I'm an AC "Member" and an EP. Booked award seats using AA miles on TN J from CDG-LAX (books as TN flight number not AA codeshare).

My understanding is since I am flying on TN code and TN is not a member of OW, I will not have access to the AC at CDG. TN uses a contract lounge but departs from 2A.

Anything I am missing?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.