Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

HELP DESK: Will I Have Lounge Access? Which, Access, Rules (2020-2022)

Old Jan 6, 2020, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Microwave
HELP DESK: Lounge Access, Access Rules. Will I Have Lounge Access? (2020)
Please read this wiki carefully; some fine nuances exist.

Admirals Club lounges have reopened from the Covid closures, but not all Clubs have reopened, and hours have changed.

Link to aa.com Admirals Club, Flagship Lounge Access rules.

Also see Admirals Club rates increasing, new restrictions: 2019

PLEASE DO NOT ALTER THE CONTENT OF THIS MODERATOR NOTE

The Lounge Access Help Desk

To assist members with questions about Lounge Access Rules that they have not been able to answer on their own using the above resources, the AA Moderator team has decided to institute this thread, the third in a series of "Help Desk" threads. N.B.: If you have questions about physical access to a specific lounge (e.g., airside vs. landside, different terminal, etc.), please search for and post to the appropriate specific thread for that lounge.

New threads on this topic will be merged into this one and bumped by the moderators as necessary. As such, we do not expect that this thread will develop into a searchable database, but that it will nonetheless provide a valuable resource to members. As well, we may shed / pare down posts from time to time to a trailing thread or similar device.

Our goal is to provide a place where members can feel welcome to post such questions and expect helpful, accurate responses. In this way, we hope to accommodate the needs and desires of both new and veteran members - those who aren't sure they are interpreting the available resources correctly can ask for help without fear of snarky-appearing responses; those who do not wish to participate in such threads are invited and, indeed, encouraged, to ignore this thread.

Please be forewarned: This thread will be subject to heavy moderation. Posts that are incorrect will be subject to deletion without notice - DO NOT POST answers unless you are sure your answer is complete and correct. Posts that are unhelpful or off-topic will also be subject to deletion without notice - DO NOT POST unless you can be friendly, helpful, concise, and salient.

Finally, a few guidelines for members posting queries to this thread:
  • Please DO make an effort to review the listed resources before posting here.
  • Please DO try to give as much information as possible, including your entire itinerary, with carrier for each segment and codeshares and stopovers clearly designated, your class of service and fare class purchased, whether or not you have Admirals Club or Qantas Club membership, a Citi AAdvantage Executive card (which includes full Admirals Club membership), and the number of guests and your family relationship with them, if any.
  • Please DO understand it could take some time for answers (especially on holidays and weekends.)
  • Please DO thank helpful members volunteering to reply to your questions.

Note: Members interested in arranging AA lounge meet-ups or offer guesting in should use this thread: Admirals Club / Flagship Lounge Meet Up & Guest Offer (master thread)

Also see the future changes in lounges and access: Admirals Club and Flagship Lounge Changes, Renovations & Additions

Sincerely,
The American Airlines AAdvantage forum Moderator Team
(Help Desk established by dstan)
=================end mod note===================

NOTE: The kduarte Lounge Access tool page has become unavailable

="3"%Help Desk: Lounge Access Rules / Will I Have Lounge Access?

Lounge Access can be obtained in a number of ways during travel on AA and its oneworld partner airlines. These include purchasing an Admirals Club one day pass, or via Citi AAdvantage Executive MasterCard (including, as of Dec 2015, authorized Executive card users), reciprocity agreements with other airlines, traveling on certain transcon flights in F or J, or traveling internationally with Platinum or Platinum Pro (oneworld Sapphire) or Concierge Key or Executive Platinum (oneworld Emerald) status or in F or J classes of service - except if flying solely within North America destinations other than MEX as AAdvantage elite or AA elite in Business class. The last is often the greatest source of confusion, despite lounge access rules being described clearly on aa.com.

Admirals Club members paid or Executive primary cardholder members) are entitled guests as follows:

Up to two guests or household members (spouse, domestic partner and/or children under the age of 18) may accompany the member.
* Note that AA no longer offers a 30-day membership as of July 25 2016.

Executive card subsidiary cardholders have admission as well.

PLT and PPRO members are eligible for access to all oneworld Business Class lounges, now including Flagship Lounges, including Admirals Clubs; EXP and CK members are also eligible for access to nearly all oneworld First Class lounges, including Flagship Lounges.

For AA status-based access (PLT, PPRO, EXP, Concierge Key),* passengers must: (1) be traveling on an international itinerary (Europe, Asia, Central and South America, and Mexico City, excluding the Caribbean and other destinations in North America (other than on certain three class transcontinental flights) including other destinations in Mexico, and (2) have an onward flight on a oneworld airline marketed and operated flight on the same day.

Lounges operated by third parties or premium lounges operating outside of oneworld rules (e.g. BA Concorde Room, Qatar Al Safwa or Al Mourjan lounges, AA Flagship First Dining) may be excluded, and all may may refuse admittance if they claim they are crowded. There are other exceptions.

*Non-AA oneworld Sapphire and Emerald elites are not subject to rule #1 above.

Emerald / EP on CX JFK-YVR are not subject to AA limitations and are issued Flagship Lounge invitations for use at JFK.

The following exceptions apply: (in part; for the entire list, see here)

American Airlines and Qantas paid programmes

American Airlines and Qantas offer programmes enabling customers to pay to gain access to their lounges. These programmes are not part of the oneworld agreement, and members of these programmes are not entitled to access lounges under the oneworld agreement.

American Airlines AAdvantage member North American flights

American Airlines Airlines AAdvantage members, regardless of their tier status or class of travel, are not eligble for lounge access when travelling solely on North American flights within or between the U.S, Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Carribean. For more information, visit, http://aa.com/i18n/travelInformation...miralsClub.jsp

Traveling Flagship® Business Transcontinentalalso gives you lounge access and other amenities:
Los Angeles (LAX) - New York (JFK)
San Francisco (SFO) - JFK
LAX - Boston (BOS) – traveling on A321T aircraft only
LAX - Miami (MIA) – traveling on B777-300 aircraft only (through October 26, 2019)
The following exceptions apply:

First and Business Class customers who do not hold Emerald or Sapphire tier status are not eligible to access American Airlines lounges when travelling on solely domestic flights within the U.S. or between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico [except Mexico City], the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean; customers travelling in First or Business class on U.S. transcontinental flights between JFK-LAX, JFK-SFO and vice-versa are eligible for lounge access. oneworld lounge access page - link
On February 17 2016, AA announced an addition to the above. As stated on their Reimagining our lounges page, in the Flagship Lounges section, "Starting in 2017, lounge access will be extended to customers booked in Business and First Class on A321T, Trans-Atlantic, Trans-Pacific and deep South American flights."
Important Note: Though this announcement excluded Northern South America and Central America, those travelling to or from those destinations in J/F or who hold OWE or OWS, including AA elites, do indeed have access to the Flagship Lounge. See the link below for Flagship Lounge access rules for details.

In the Flagship Dining subsection, they state:

Beginning in early 2017, the Flagship Dining experience will be available in select cities with 3-class service:

● Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) (2019)

● New York (JFK)

● Miami (MIA)

● Los Angeles (LAX)

First Class customers on American’s three class international and transcontinental flights will have exclusive access to Flagship Dining.
All Admirals Club visitors receive free Wi-Fi access at Admirals Clubs (password is available at front desk and throughout the Club on signs), some non-alcoholic and "well" (lower price tier) alcoholic beverages, counter snacks and offered food items; free computer terminals are available for all passengers, and many Clubs have Business Centers and tethered Samsung Galaxy tablets in seating areas. Passengers accessing Admirals Clubs based on status or class of service on international travel are entitled to free drinks coupons usable for higher-tier non-alcoholic and alcoholic beverages and bottles of water.

Flagship Lounges (JFK, LAX, LHR and ORD) offer extended beverages and upscale snack services as well. See below for link.

NOTE: Some Lounges and Clubs are undergoing refurbishment.

Citi Prestige MasterCard holder Admirals Club access ended July 23, 2017.

American Express Platinum cardholder Admirals Club access ended 21 March 2014.

NOTE: It has been verified more airports are allowing multiple terminal access on one's day of departure. LAX has been one since mid-2014.

Admirals Club access is granted the day of flight for statusholders flyingoneworld and those flying F or J, or the following day at the first port of arrival if flying overnight and arriving by 0600.

Airports requiring Lounge users have a same day departure boarding pass include BOG, CCS, CDG, GIG, GRU, LHR, MEX, NRT, SCL, YYZ.

N.B. Qantas Lounges and Clubs require Smart Casual (sic) dress as of May 2015; those not meeting the standard may be turned away. They also require Admirals Club members be traveling on a departing AA marketed flight, otherbthan the LAX / TBIT lounge.

Please see the following resources for full details on Lounge Access Rules: (and see below)

. . . ● AA.com: Lounge Access Rules

. . . ● AA.com: American Airlines Flagship Lounge Access Rules

Beginning later in 2017: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ge-updates.jsp opens Flagship access to many more pax.

. . . ● AA.com: Reimaging our lounges

. . . ● AA.com: Admirals Club Membership Guide in a downloadable PDF format.

. . . ● oneworld.com: Lounge Access Rules and Search Tool

. . . ● Wiki: Lounges

. . . ● FT: American Airlines LOUNGE DASHBOARD

For various threads on membership, access by status, transcon service, class of service, Flagship lounge access, lounges directory with links to specific lounge threads, Club member access to partner lounges, recipripocity agreements, etc.

. . . ● 2019 year thread:https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...es-2019-a.html

. . . ● 2017 year thread:https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...es-2017-a.html
="4"%Admirals Club Membership + Reciprocal Qantas Club Access (master thread)
="3"%Note: Qantas Club access for Admirals Club members has recently CHANGED
="3"%Admirals Club members

="3"%As an Admirals Club annual, lifetime member, Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive Card primary cardholder, or AirPass member with Admirals Club privileges, your Qantas Club domestic access has recently changed (again):
="3"%Select Qantas Clubs when departing on the same day on a

Qantas operated flight or an American marketed flight operated by Qantas

NOTE: This is different than oneworld access rules and pertains only to Admirals Club members.

Also note Qantas will soon begin selling single admission starting at $49, but these at least initially will be restricted to QF Bronze or Silver members and only available during non-peak times. At this time, AA flyers are ineligible. Link to Australian Business Traveller article.

Previously, members could access Qantas domestic lounges with an Admirals Club card without having purchased the AA codeshare. This is no longer permitted. These changes do not include one world Emerald or Sapphire members.

Eligible Admirals Club members must present the following documentation:
  • Government-issued photo ID
    • Admirals Club membership card
      • Applicable boarding pass for same day travel

NOTE Qantas Club Dress Code: N.B. Qantas Lounges and Clubs will require Smart Casual (sic) dress as of May 2015; those not meeting the standard may be turned away. (No open-toe shoes.) c/o hartlogan

Print Wikipost

HELP DESK: Will I Have Lounge Access? Which, Access, Rules (2020-2022)

Old Nov 9, 2021, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by merlin90
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...lub-access.jsp

This page suggests otherwise, though.

Qualifying AAdvantage® Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro and Platinum. For a limited time: Starting April 1, 2021, qualifying international flights will include flights between the U.S. and Canada, the Caribbean and Mexico. Includes customers on qualifying departing international flights marketed and operated by American or a oneworld® airline (regardless of cabin).
You're correct. AA must have updated this somewhere along the line as when they first introduced the new "temporary" rules it was for business class only.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 11:58 pm

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
Flying LAX-JFK-DCA in business. Would I have access to Admirals Club @ DCA upon arrival?

What about return: DCA-JFK-LAX. Would I have access to the Admirals Club @ DCA at departure?
Old Dec 3, 2021, 12:58 pm

3For a limited time, qualifying international flights include flights between the U.S. and Canada, the Caribbean and Mexico. Includes customers on qualifying departing international flights marketed and operated by American or a oneworld® airline (regardless of cabin). Standard AAdvantage® member access to American Airlines lounges excludes (regardless of status or class of service) flights within North America or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean. Access to Qantas Domestic Business Lounges excluded.
I feel like I'm pretty good at reading rules and I have to admit I can't make heads or tails of this. The sentence of "Standard AAdvantage member access to lounges excludes..." seems to directly contradict the previous sentence. Are they clarifying that the limited time rule is non-standard and for a limited time? Or is this some exception to the previous?

My real question... as a non-AA Oneworld Sapphire traveling LGA-YUL do I have lounge access at LGA? Is there a lounge open? And do I get a guest? (just one I assume?)

Also... as a non-AA Oneworld Sapphire should I be seeing $0 for preferred seating online? I'm not, is that because my status changed since booking? Do I have to do something to refresh my status in their system? Do I have to do that before I check in to get lounge access?

Last edited by zkzkz; Dec 3, 2021 at 3:27 pm
Old Dec 3, 2021, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by zkzkz
I feel like I'm pretty good at reading rules and I have to admit I can't make heads or tails of this. The sentence of "Standard AAdvantage member access to lounges excludes..." seems to directly contradict the previous sentence. Are they clarifying that the limited time rule is non-standard and for a limited time? Or is this some exception to the previous?

My real question... as a non-AA Oneworld Sapphire traveling LGA-YUL do I have lounge access at LGA? Is there a lounge open? And do I get a guest? (just one I assume?)

Also... as a non-AA Oneworld Sapphire should I be seeing $0 for preferred seating online? I'm not, is that because my status changed since booking? Do I have to do something to refresh my status in their system? Do I have to do that before I check in to get lounge access?
Yes, AA did a very crappy job of cleaning up the lounge access language at aa.com when they introduced the new (temporary) rules.

To answer your question, yes, as a non-AA oneworld Sapphire you have lounge access before any AA flight. So you can access the Admirals Club at LGA and bring one guest.

If your status is new since the time of booking then you'll need to call AA to refresh your status (they essentially remove your number then add it back). That should fix the seating issue and it make sure your correct oneworld status is reflected for lounge access.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by zkzkz

Yes, it's limited time, but if you are a non-AA (and non-AS) OWS, then I don't believe the statement quoted has any relevance.

You should get access to the AC at LGA along with 1 guest as long as they are also on a departing OW flight.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Flying LHR-ORD-IAH with a 12 yo and 11yo soon. We likely will be in Y (upgrade chances are slim for 3).

What's the lounge access for the LHR T3 and ORD side?
Old Dec 7, 2021, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton DMD, Hyatt Glob, Hertz PC
Flagship/AC Qualifying domestic: Would this be honored at an AS lounge?

KOA-DFW-SEA in Business. Would I be able to access the Alaska Lounge on arrival at SEA?
Old Dec 14, 2021, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat
I have an admirals club membership. I'm flying SFO-LAX on JetBlue (JetBlue marketed), and then LAX-MEX on American (AA marketed) on separate tickets. Do you know if I'll have access to the admirals club in SFO?

From the access rules on AA, it's a bit unclear to me if the flight has to depart / arrive from the same airport:

A boarding pass for same-day travel on an eligible flight. An ‘eligible flight’ includes any departing or arriving flight that is marketed or operated by American or marketed and operated by any oneworld® airline.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PurpleMonkey
I have an admirals club membership. I'm flying SFO-LAX on JetBlue (JetBlue marketed), and then LAX-MEX on American (AA marketed) on separate tickets. Do you know if I'll have access to the admirals club in SFO?

From the access rules on AA, it's a bit unclear to me if the flight has to depart / arrive from the same airport:
On re reading, if your accessing with membership, I don't see why not. It's a bit vague but shouldn't stop you if you show your ongoing BP
Old Dec 14, 2021, 9:25 pm

Programs: Some more than others

You certainly present an interesting scenario. My reading of the rules and the T&C's agrees with the poster above me that the rules don't require the eligible flight from either departing or arriving from the airport of access. So in theory you should have access in SFO.

That being said, the lounge staff may have a different interpretation.

WOT, mostly for my own interest, I compared the AA rules to UA and UA specifically calls out that access is only at the O&D&C of UA/*A/Partner flights. AA has chosen either intentionally or not to create this ambiguity.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 3:24 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond

Originally Posted by Antarius
On re reading, if your accessing with membership, I don't see why not. It's a bit vague but shouldn't stop you if you show your ongoing BP
Originally Posted by SCChris
You certainly present an interesting scenario. My reading of the rules and the T&C's agrees with the poster above me that the rules don't require the eligible flight from either departing or arriving from the airport of access. So in theory you should have access in SFO.

That being said, the lounge staff may have a different interpretation.

WOT, mostly for my own interest, I compared the AA rules to UA and UA specifically calls out that access is only at the O&D&C of UA/*A/Partner flights. AA has chosen either intentionally or not to create this ambiguity.
I think AA is pretty clear on this.. (from https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...lub-access.jsp )

"A boarding pass for same-day travel on an eligible flight. An ‘eligible flight’ includes any departing or arriving flight that is marketed or operated by American or marketed and operated by any oneworld® airline. Same-day priority verification cards will be accepted."

Since the SFO departing flight doesn't meet this criteria (JetBlue operated and marketed), thus no access, even with AC membership.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
I think AA is pretty clear on this.. (from https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...lub-access.jsp )

"A boarding pass for same-day travel on an eligible flight. An ‘eligible flight’ includes any departing or arriving flight that is marketed or operated by American or marketed and operated by any oneworld® airline. Same-day priority verification cards will be accepted."

Since the SFO departing flight doesn't meet this criteria (JetBlue operated and marketed), thus no access, even with AC membership.
But the OP does have a same day eligible flight. They also have a same day ineligible one.

I don't know the answer, but my read of the paragraph on aa.com is that the second flight (AA) counts. It doesn't say that it must be at the exact airport.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 8:57 am

Flying SEA-MIA-PLS (Turks and Caicos) in paid first. AA Gold. Reading the rules, it seems like AA's partnership with AS does NOT grant us lounge access in SEA. We will have to wait for MIA. Looks like the only way to gain lounge access in SEA is with an Admirals Club membership?
Old Dec 15, 2021, 9:21 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Antarius
But the OP does have a same day eligible flight. They also have a same day ineligible one.

I don't know the answer, but my read of the paragraph on aa.com is that the second flight (AA) counts. It doesn't say that it must be at the exact airport.
Fair point, but I'll let the lawyers squabble about the words. The intent is that one has access at the ACs for the eligible flight, not with some random non-qualifying flight beforehand (be it JetBlue, UA, DL etc..)..
Old Dec 20, 2021, 11:40 am

I have a bit of a weird situation and wondering if I have access.

i am doing a same day turn JFK-LAX-JFK. The first leg is in AA J and lands at 10AM. On arrival, I would have access. I then have some things to do out of the airport and am on the 11:59PM B6 flight back to JFK. Would I still be able to access the AC with my arriving ticket (since obviously the departing ticket doesn’t confer access) at like 9:30PM? How about, if I already accessed the AC when I originally arrived at LAX? Is it one and done on arrival access or is re-entry ok? Curious if anyone has experience with something similar. Obviously not the exact intent of FL/AC arrival access but it seems like it fits within the rules. I would just not bother and use the centurion lounge but alas, that appears to be closed

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.