Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Systemwide Upgrades only available on RT flights??? (to merge)

Systemwide Upgrades only available on RT flights??? (to merge)

Old Sep 15, 19, 11:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 3MM Lifetime Platinum, Delta Gold, Starwood Gold, Loews Platinum, Ritz Carlton Gold,AMEX Platinum
Question Systemwide Upgrades only available on RT flights??? (to merge)

Sorry if this has already been discussed; I couldn't find anything via search.

I'm finding a seemingly strange situation that I don't understand. If I search for a RT flight from MIA to GIG, I can see a systemwide upgrade on the outbound portion. Then if I search for a multi-city itinerary, MIA-GIG, GRU-MIA, the systemwide upgrade shows as not available on the same outbound flight / same date. Switch the search back to RT MIA-GIG-MIA, and the systemwide upgrade is back. Repeated and same result. Anyone know what is going on?
Old Sep 15, 19, 11:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Is this on Expertflyer? On aa.com?
Old Sep 15, 19, 11:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 3MM Lifetime Platinum, Delta Gold, Starwood Gold, Loews Platinum, Ritz Carlton Gold,AMEX Platinum
on aa.com
Old Sep 16, 19, 4:56 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
The Systemwide Availability functionality only appears at aa.com when you search roundtrip. For whatever the reason it won't show up when you search multi city. Been this way forever. This is just an aa.com glitch and has nothing to do with the actual SWU availability.
Antarius and vineyarder like this.
Old Sep 16, 19, 5:42 am

Programs: Many
AA usually prices longhaul oneways so exorbitantly that you’d never want to book them anyway
fotographer likes this.
Old Sep 16, 19, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JJeffrey View Post
The Systemwide Availability functionality only appears at aa.com when you search roundtrip. For whatever the reason it won't show up when you search multi city. Been this way forever. This is just an aa.com glitch and has nothing to do with the actual SWU availability.
Thanks!
Old Sep 16, 19, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet View Post
AA usually prices longhaul oneways so exorbitantly that you’d never want to book them anyway
I've found that multi-city, open-jaw bookings usually aren't significantly higher than the RT fares for the cities involved; in this case, depending on the date, MIA-GIG, GRU-MIA is right about halfway between the RT MIA-GIG and the MIA-GRU round-trip fares. But because it is multi-city instead of RT, the systemwide upgrades apparently don't show up. One-way is exorbitant, but multi-city open-jaw bookings usually aren't.
Old Sep 16, 19, 10:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet View Post
Not true as a blanket statement.

More accurately stated as "In certain markets (e.g. Europe) AA and other airlines price longhaul oneways exorbitantly. In other markets (e.g certain Asian destinations) oneways can be priced reasonably."
JJeffrey and JonNYC like this.
Old Sep 16, 19, 6:50 pm

Programs: AA CK (3MM), Marriott LTT and Ambassador, Uber Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by JJeffrey View Post
The Systemwide Availability functionality only appears at aa.com when you search roundtrip.
Not true. It does show up when you search one way.

Now, whether the info is accurate in either case is a different question...

Search this Thread