Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

New Airbus planes to track cabin movements; will AA buy in?

Old Sep 15, 19, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Just came across this interesting link on a Trip Adviser forum. Some of these innovations may be useful and indeed improve efficiencies. Others... well.... maybe too much Big Brother and Babysitter for me.

https://www.cntraveler.com/story/new...ough-the-cabin
Old Sep 15, 19, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Just read the article. It doesn't say if this will be standard equipment on the buses. Wouldn't this be an expensive add on? I don't see this happening on any AA plane ever. This airline is ripping out J seats and used to charge for diet coke. LOL

I think it's a good idea though and think it's a great way for airline's to track established service metrics and hold flight attendants to KPI's.
Dallas49er likes this.
Old Sep 16, 19, 4:19 am

Programs: Airline Agnostic, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
Just read the article. It doesn't say if this will be standard equipment on the buses. Wouldn't this be an expensive add on? I don't see this happening on any AA plane ever. This airline is ripping out J seats and used to charge for diet coke. LOL

I think it's a good idea though and think it's a great way for airline's to track established service metrics and hold flight attendants to KPI's.

Worth repeating. Now if anyone at AA Manglement really gave a ....

The APFA, disregarding its usual unenlightened self-interest at passenger experience expense, will wholeheartedly endorse this as means of assisting AA management in the APFA's ongoing attempts to make AA inflight service the best in the air.

News bulletin: A pig has just been cleared to land at DFW!

Last edited by Dallas49er; Sep 16, 19 at 4:58 am
Old Sep 16, 19, 6:14 am

Programs: AA - Just give me a PDB!
From the article: "Everybody wants to have it"
Only IF Parker and his Bean Counters can somehow figure out a way to make a nickle..
enviroian likes this.
Old Sep 16, 19, 8:53 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes View Post
Just came across this interesting link on a Trip Adviser forum. Some of these innovations may be useful and indeed improve efficiencies. Others... well.... maybe too much Big Brother and Babysitter for me.

https://www.cntraveler.com/story/new...ough-the-cabin
I agree that some of there IoT capabilities are useful, some less, some creepy.

Useful ones in my opinion, include the ones that provide actionable data to the flight crew, such as available overhead bin space, unbuckled seat belts, low inventory on items in lavs and the like.

The call button one will be an interesting social study. I personally believe many pax today are reluctant to use the call button today to request service, because it calls attention to them and they are unsure if it is OK to use it for service requests. Now if it is clearly stated on screen interface that one can order service, I would think the number of service requests are going to rise, to the delight of the FAs

Creepy ones include tracking shows watched, music listened, outside lav cameras and general tracking of pax. These types might get the biggest backlash if attempts are made to implement them widely.
Old Sep 17, 19, 10:59 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Originally Posted by teemuflyer View Post
I agree that some of there IoT capabilities are useful, some less, some creepy.

Useful ones in my opinion, include the ones that provide actionable data to the flight crew, such as available overhead bin space, unbuckled seat belts, low inventory on items in lavs and the like.

The call button one will be an interesting social study. I personally believe many pax today are reluctant to use the call button today to request service, because it calls attention to them and they are unsure if it is OK to use it for service requests. Now if it is clearly stated on screen interface that one can order service, I would think the number of service requests are going to rise, to the delight of the FAs

Creepy ones include tracking shows watched, music listened, outside lav cameras and general tracking of pax. These types might get the biggest backlash if attempts are made to implement them widely.
These days, I honestly expect there are metrics on the inflight entertainment (well, on aircraft that still OFFER it, stupid Project Oasis). Heck, the Nielsen Ratings have been around for most of television's existence, and anonymized metrics tell airlines what shows to keep and which to pull. To me it's when they start correlating it with me that I get creeped out. "Welcome aboard Gig103, you'll be pleased to know we have your armrest already raised and loaded new episodes of Curb your Enthusiasm"

Search this Thread